The best Standing Rib Roast Recipe! A Standing Rib Roast is easier to make than you might think, and it is the quintessential centerpiece for your holiday table.
Disclosure: Certified Angus Beef® brand reimbursed me the cost of the roast to facilitate this recipe. As always, all opinions are my own.
We all have that favorite recipe that comes out once a year. The one your mother digs out of her favorite book or magazine, or even the one that’s handwritten on a recipe card and stored carefully until the next holiday. Those are my favorite recipes to make and the ones that bring back memories of all the family gatherings in the past.
My family has their favorite holiday recipes that never leave our holiday menus. Like the recipe my cousin emails my mother about when he can’t make it home for Christmas – the Standing Rib Roast recipe made with Certified Angus Beef ® brand bone-in prime rib roast.
What is a Standing Rib Roast?
Standing Rib Roast is a cut of beef that comes from the rib section of a cow. A Standing Rib Roast is also called a bone-in prime rib, as it contains the prime rib cut of beef. It is usually between 2-7 ribs and prepared so that it is “standing” when roasted. It is known to be one of the most tender cuts of meat. You may not find this in the meat section of your local supermarket but ask the butcher as they can usually cut this to order, especially during the holidays.
How Long Do You Cook a Standing Rib Roast Per Pound?
Nobody wants to play the guessing game when it comes to cooking a delicious and expensive cut of meat. My hack is using the Roast Perfect App to get an accurate time for how long I need to cook the roast. I really like this app because it’s simple to use. I plug in the cut of meat, the weight, and the desired doneness, then the app gives me a breakdown of how long to sear, roast and rest the meat. It even has a timer built in! How cool is that?!
How to Make Standing Rib Roast Recipe?
There are so many flavor combinations to use with a Standing Rib Roast but my favorite has to be the irreplaceable combo of garlic and rosemary. I made a butter rub to put on my roast. This helps keep the meat moist and packs in a lot of flavor.
- Let Standing Rib Roast come to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Soften butter then stir in rosemary, garlic, salt, pepper, and thyme to create a paste.
- Rub the paste all over rib roast, then place in a roasting dish. Wrap aluminum foil around exposed rib bones.
- Roast at 450 degrees for 15 minutes. Then reduce the temperature to 325 degrees and cook for 2 hours, 25 Minutes. (Refer to Roast Perfect app to cook to your desired degree of doneness)
- Remove from oven and tent with aluminum foil. Let rest tented for 15 minutes. Slice rib roast and serve!
How to make a butter rub for Standing Rib Roast
- Soften the butter and add freshly chopped garlic and rosemary, fresh cracked black pepper, and salt
- Mix together and rub all over the Rib Roast
- Use the Roast Perfect app timer to cook the standing rib roast perfectly
I also really enjoyed all the amazing sides that go perfect with roast beef.
TIP: I also frenched this rib roast to expose the bone. If you aren’t confident doing it yourself (this took me about 30 minutes with several youtube videos), ask your butcher to french it for you. When roasting, I covered the bone ends with aluminum foil so they didn’t dry out.
Serving Suggestions for Standing Rib Roast
For figuring out the serving size for the Standing Rib Roast, the easiest method is to refer to the Roast Perfect app. Or you can assume each rib will feed two people. So a 4 rib roast would feed 8 people. For reference, a 4 rib roast will probably weigh between 8-10 pounds. This method is a little different from determining the serving size for prime rib, but you have to consider part of the weight of this cut is the bone.
A Standing Rib Roast is a great and delicious meal for any holiday celebration. I like to serve mine with Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Bacon or Maple Brown Butter Roasted Butternut Squash as sides, but there are so many great options out there. Cooking cuts like Standing Rib Roast are so much easier now with the Roast Perfect App, you’ll have no problem making this at home!
Roast Beef Dinner Ideas
For more roast beef recipes, try these:
- Boneless Prime Rib Roast
- Slow Roasted Prime Rib Recipe
- Whole Beef Tenderloin
- Beef Chuck Roast Recipe
- Instant Pot Pot Roast
- Slow Cooker Mississippi Pot Roast
- Dutch Oven Pot Roast
- Easy Slow Cooker Roast Beef Recipe
Standing Rib Roast Recipe
- 8 Pounds Certified Angus Beef® brand Standing Rib Roast Bone in prime rib/ribeye are other terms for the cut
- 1 Cup Butter Softened
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Rosemary Minced
- 8 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1 Tbsp Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Sea Salt
- 2 tsp Ground Thyme
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Let Rib Roast come to room temperature.
- Soften butter then stir in rosemary, garlic, salt, pepper and thyme to create a paste.
- Rub paste all over rib roast, then place in a roasting dish. Wrap aluminum foil around exposed rib bones.
- Roast at 450 degrees for 15 minutes. Then reduce the temperature to 325 degrees and cook for 2 hours, 25 Minutes.
- Remove from oven and tent with aluminum foil. Let rest tented for 15 minutes. Slice rib roast, the serve!