This post may contain paid links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Load up your freezer meals with these easy-baked chicken taquitos with avocado crema! My taquitos recipe features flavorful spiced shredded chicken baked in crispy corn tortillas with a creamy avocado dipping sauce.
Chicken taquitos make perfect party appetizers or a fun and easy dinner recipe for family and friends! They are the perfect make-ahead appetizer for stress-free entertaining.
My recipe for taquitos is super easy, can be made ahead, and is the hit of every get-together. I love making a batch ahead of time and freezing it for an easy weeknight meal.
I had tried many chicken taquito recipes in the past. This is the absolute best I have ever tried. My family loved it. Thank you so much!Angie on Pinterest
This chicken recipe uses shredded chicken; in fact, this recipe reminds us of the famous Cheesecake Factory Chicken Taquitos. You can use any type of shredded chicken you like.
I typically use chicken tenderloins, but regular chicken breasts, grilled chicken, or grocery-store rotisserie chicken will also work. You could even make slow cooker whole chicken and use the leftovers!
Taquito Recipe Ingredients
- chicken breasts, chicken tenderloins, or shredded chicken
- olive oil
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- smoked paprika
- chili powder
- salt and pepper
- shredded cheese
- cooking spray
Avocado Cream Sauce Ingredients
- sour cream
Or try my Avocado Crema!
Recipe for Taquitos
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place chicken breasts or chicken tenderloins on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle them with olive oil. Sprinkle garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder, and kosher salt and pepper over the chicken. Toss until completely coated.
- Place the chicken in the oven and bake for 18-22 minutes (cooking times will vary slightly). When the chicken is finished cooking, remove the pan from the oven.
- Once the chicken has cooled, shred it with two forks and place it in a mixing bowl.
- Add shredded cheese and salsa to the chicken. Mix until combined.
- The next step is to spoon the chicken filling onto corn tortillas. RECIPE TIP: Wet a few paper towels, wrap a stack of corn tortillas in the towels, and microwave them for a minute. This will make them pliable so they won’t break as you roll them.
- Place a couple of spoonfuls of the chicken filling into each tortilla and roll them tightly.
- Spray a baking sheet generously with cooking spray. Place the taquitos seam-side down on the sheet. Spray the top of the taquitos with cooking spray as well.
- Place the baking sheet(s) in the oven and bake for 20-22 minutes or until the taquitos are crisp. Remove from the oven when finished baking.
This baked taquito recipe yields about 16 chicken taquitos, which makes it perfect for a party appetizer recipe or a big family dinner! These homemade taquitos are a treat everyone at the table will love.
How to Make Creamy Avocado Sauce
- Place ripe avocados in a food processor
- Add sour cream, jalapeno, lime juice, and kosher salt
- Pulse until creamy
You can dip the chicken taquitos into the avocado sauce or drizzle it over the top for a more decorative presentation. This is a great option if you are serving them at a party.
Chicken Taquito Recipe Tips
- Wet paper towels, wrap a stack of corn tortillas in the towels and microwave them for a minute. This will make them pliable so they won’t break as you roll them.
- Do not freeze taquitos with the avocado sauce on top. The avocado sauce needs to be fresh and prepared just before serving.
Chicken Taquitos FAQs
A taquito is a traditional Mexican cuisine that consists of a tortilla with a filling of shredded meat such as chicken or beef, as well as cheese. The tortilla is rolled tightly and then fried in oil until crispy. Taquito is a Spanish word that translates to ‘small taco‘. If you like tacos, you’ll love taquitos!
Yes! You can whip up a batch of these homemade taquitos and stick them in the freezer for those nights when you just need a quick meal or appetizer. Prepare the taquitos as described. Once baked, allow them to cool completely, and place them into a freezer-friendly plastic bag in a single layer. They can be reheated in the microwave for 2-3 minutes or in a 400 degrees F oven for 10 minutes or so.
- Mexican Street Corn
- Mexican Street Corn Casserole
- Try my Steak Fajitas + Steak Fajita Marinade!
- Street Corn Dip
- Easy Taco Casserole
Serve with Air Fryer Corn on the Cob!
- Birria Chicken Tacos
- How to Grill Chicken Breast
- Chicken and Mushroom Pie
- Grilled Chicken Salad Recipe
- Chicken Mushroom Recipe
Check out my easy dinner ideas for more inspiration.
Did you make this recipe? Let us know what you think by leaving a comment and rating below! We love to hear from you.
For more chicken recipes and inspiration on how to cook chicken perfectly, follow my Chicken Temperature Chart!
Chicken Taquitos Recipe
See our Cooking Conversions Chart for help converting measurements!
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place chicken breasts on a baking sheet. Drizzle a heaping Tbsp. of olive oil over them. Sprinkle with 1 tsp. each of garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, smoked paprika, and chili powder long with ½ tsp. of kosher salt and pepper. Toss until completely coated.
- Place the chicken in the oven and bake for 18-22 minutes (cooking times may vary depending on thickness of chicken). Remove from oven when finished baking.
- Once the chicken has cooled shred it with two forks and place in a large mixing bowl. Add 1 cup of shredded cheese (any variety) and ½ cup of salsa. Toss until completely combined.
- Fill The Tortillas: Place a stack of corn tortillas in a couple of wet paper towels (it's important that they're wet) and microwave for a minute. This will make them pliable and they won't break apart when rolling them.
- Place a couple spoonfuls of the chicken filling into each tortilla and roll it up like a cigar.
- Spray the bottom of a baking sheet with cooking spray. Place the rolled tortillas onto the baking sheet seam-side down. Spray the top of the taquitos with more cooking spray.
- Place the pan(s) in a 400 degree oven and bake for 20 minutes or until crispy. Remove from oven when finished baking.
- To Freeze: Bake as directed, allow taquitos to cool completely, and place them in a single layer into a freezer-friendly bag. Reheat for 2-4 minutes in the microwave or 10 minutes in a 400 degree oven.
For The Avocado Crema:
- Place 2 ripe avocados, ½ cup sour cream, the juice of 2 limes, 1 jalapeno (seeds removed), and ½ tsp. salt in a food processor. Pulse until creamy.
- Serve the chicken taquitos with avocado crema, salsa, pico de gallo, guacamole, or any type of dipping sauce you like.
- You can use any type of chicken you like with this recipe: baked, slow cooker, grilled, rotisserie. Just make sure the chicken is shredded or cut into small chunks before filling tortillas.
- You can serve these taquitos with any type of dipping sauce or as a meal with something like beans and rice.