Buffalo wings are a game day FAVORITE! Learn how to make WINGS in a few easy steps. Homemade buffalo wings are baked and tossed in buffalo sauce.
There is nothing, and I mean nothing, more addicting than a big stack of homemade buffalo wings! Few things in this world will test your self-control more than the spicy and tangy scent of chicken wings wafting in from the kitchen. I’m not a sports person by any stretch of the imagination, but I’ll show up to any Game Day party if buffalo wings are on the menu!
Why are buffalo wings SO addicting? If you prepare them correctly, they’re plump and juicy on the inside, the skin on the outside is perfectly crispy, and, of course, don’t forget the buttery, delicious buffalo sauce.
I love them with tangy blue cheese dressing. Plus, you can make them easily at home – learn how to make buffalo wings in a few simple steps!
What are Buffalo Wings?
The foundation of buffalo wings is, of course, chicken. You make buffalo wings with chicken wings. This homemade buffalo wings recipe calls for 3 lbs. of chicken wings.
Chicken wings come in two portions: the wingette and the drumette. The chicken wings you purchase may already be ready to use; this is the easiest option.
If you purchase whole chicken wings, you must cut them yourself.
How to cut chicken wings:
- Thaw the package of chicken wings completely.
- Lay them out on a cutting board and flip each chicken wing over.
- One at a time, stretch each wing out with your fingers.
- There are two joints in the chicken wing. Feel for the first joint (you should be able to feel a ridge with your fingers). Once you find it, cut through the joint with a sharp knife.
- Feel for the second joint with your fingers. Once you find it, cut through that joint (this will leave the chicken wing in 3 separate pieces).
- The second cut will remove the wing tip. You don’t normally eat wing tips, so feel free to discard them, or, better yet, use them for chicken stock.
- Repeat with the remainder of the chicken wings.
How to Make Buffalo Wings
Buffalo wings prepared in a restaurant are typically deep-fried, which makes them delicious but also calorie-rich. If you make them at home, you can fry or bake them. I prefer baking my homemade buffalo wings.
Is it possible to get crispy skin when baking chicken wings? Absolutely! Achieving crispy skin is as simple as tossing the wings in a combination of baking powder (not baking soda) and some spices for flavor. A chemical reaction occurs between the baking powder and the chicken skin, resulting in a crispy skin and juicy inside.
Follow these steps and learn how to make Buffalo Wings:
- Lay the prepared wings out on a flat surface and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Combine 1 Tbsp. baking powder, 1 tsp. garlic powder, 1 tsp. onion powder, 1 tsp. smoked paprika, and 1/8 tsp. of salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Place the chicken wingettes and drumettes in a bowl.
- Sprinkle half of the baking soda mixture over the chicken wings and toss to combine. Repeat with the second half of the mixture.
- Make sure all of the chicken wings are evenly coated.
Baked Buffalo Wings
The next step is to pop the buffalo wings in the oven and bake them. Heat the oven to 400°F. Bake the chicken wings for 45 minutes. Rotate the pan halfway through cooking to ensure all the wings are roasting evenly. Remove the pan from the oven when finished.
It’s best to bake the chicken wings on a wire baking rack or some kind of raised roasting pan in order to allow the air to circulate around the wings as they cook. This will ensure crispy wings.
- Wrap the bottom portion of the baking sheet in tinfoil. The tinfoil will catch the juices as the chicken wings bake and allow for easy cleanup.
- Place the wire baking rack over the foil-wrapped bottom rack.
- Place the chicken wings on the baking rack. Try not to over-crowd them as you do this. It will help them bake evenly.
What to serve with Buffalo Wings
My favorite thing to serve with buffalo wings is a blue cheese dressing or a blue cheese dip. You can purchase a ready-made blue cheese dressing but I love to make my own. This can be done while the wings are baking in the oven.
Ranch dressing is another popular option to serve with buffalo wings. Celery sticks are also commonly served. The celery is a great way to cool your mouth down in between chicken wings!
Follow this link to learn how to make blue cheese dressing.
Homemade Buffalo Sauce
Once the buffalo wings are fully cooked and have been removed from the oven, it’s time to toss them in some homemade buffalo sauce! For the sauce, follow this guide on How to Make Buffalo Sauce.
- Place the chicken wings in a large bowl and pour a desired amount of sauce over the wings.
- Toss to coat in the sauce.
- Repeat with more sauce if you like.
The key is to make sure all of the chicken wings are coated.
You can customize the level of sauce to your liking. Some people prefer a saucier wing and some like them lightly coated. You can add as much or as little sauce as you like.
You can serve the wings as-is or place them back in the oven with the sauce to crisp them up more. If you return them to the oven simply bake them for 2-3 more minutes and remove the pan after that.
You can enjoy these buffalo wings on their own or dipped in the homemade blue cheese dressing or any dipping sauce of your choice. Serve them alongside some chopped celery sticks and you’re good to go. These wings are sure to be the hit of your next party!
Did you make this recipe? We’d love to know what you think! Rate the recipe and leave a comment!
Want more delicious recipes and guides like how to make buffalo wings? Try these…
- How to Make Eggs Benedict
- Pineapple Teriyaki Chicken
- How to Make Teriyaki Sauce
- Fettuccine Alfredo with Chicken
- How to Make Alfredo Sauce
- Tuna Rice Bowl with Yum Yum Sauce
- Yum Yum Sauce
How to Make Buffalo Wings
- 3 lbs. chicken wings pre-cut or whole wings
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder (NOT baking soda)
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/8 tsp. salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Thaw 3 lbs. of chicken wings. If chicken wings are whole, they will need to be cut into wingettes and drumettes. See recipe notes for how to cut chicken wings.
- Lay the wingettes and drumettes out on a flat surface and dry them with a paper towel.
- Make the spice mixture: Combine 1 Tbsp. baking powder (NOT baking soda), 1 tsp. garlic powder, 1 tsp. onion powder, 1 tsp. smoked paprika, and 1/8 tsp. salt and pepper in a small bowl. Stir to combine completely.
- Once the chicken wings have been patted dry, place them in a large bowl. Sprinkle half of the baking powder mixture over the wings and toss to coat. Repeat with the second half of the mixture.
- Line the bottom portion of a wire baking rack with foil. Fit the top portion of the wire baking rack firmly in the bottom portion.
- Place the chicken wings on the wire baking rack. Make sure not to over-crowd the wings on the rack.
- Place the baking rack in the oven and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the pan once the chicken wings are fully baked.
- Place the chicken wings in a large bowl. Toss with desired amount of buffalo sauce. Toss to coat completely. Repeat with more sauce if desired.
- Optional: Return the coated chicken wings to the pan and place in the oven for an additional 2-3 minutes. This will crisp them up more and optimal if you like the wings less saucy.
- How to cut whole chicken wings: Once the wings are thawed turn them over and lay them on a cutting board. Stretch out a chicken wing with your fingers and feel for the first joint (there will be a ridge). Cut through the ridge with a sharp knife. Feel for the second ridge and cut through it with a sharp knife. This second cut will remove the wing tip. Discard the wing tip or use it to make chicken stock.
- Feel free to serve these buffalo wings with ranch dressing or dipping sauce of choice.