Learn how to make BLUE CHEESE DRESSING that’s perfect for salads, sandwiches, or as a dipping sauce! This homemade blue cheese dressing is easy and the perfect Blue Cheese Dressing for wings.
There are plenty of high-quality store-bought sauces and dressings out there, but nothing compares to a homemade version. This could not be truer than for blue cheese dressing. This homemade blue cheese dressing recipe is SO easy to make, versatile, and bursting with savory blue cheese flavor.
I love this easy dressing recipe because it’s thick, rich, and creamy, but not overpowering. It adds just the right amount of zing to everything, from salads to sandwiches, to buffalo wings.
What is Blue Cheese Dressing?
Blue cheese sauce recipe consists of a creamy element such as sour cream, mayonnaise, buttermilk, or heavy cream, along with something tart, such as vinegar or lemon juice, as well as a savory flavor like onion or garlic powder, or Worcestershire sauce.
The most important component of homemade cheese dressing is, of course, blue cheese. The cheese is aged in a temperature-controlled environment to produce its specific taste and color. You can purchase it in a wedge or already crumbled, and the flavor is very sharp.
Ingredients in Bleu Cheese Dressing
Every homemade blue cheese dressing recipe is slightly different, but I have made this one for years and have always received rave reviews. This is truly the Best Bleu Cheese Sauce. My husband even dips his crackers in it and eats it like a blue cheese appetizer.
- Sour Cream
- Lemon Juice
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Salt and Pepper
- Blue Cheese Crumbles
- Fresh Chives
How to Make Blue Cheese Dressing
Follow these steps to make the dressing:
- In a small bowl, combine 3/4 cup of sour cream, 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 3 Tbsp. lemon juice, 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce, and a generous pinch of salt and pepper.
- Stir all of these ingredients until smooth using a small whisk or a fork.
- Add 1 cup of blue cheese crumbles to the dressing and stir to combine.
- Mince 1/3 cup of fresh chives and fold them into the dressing.
Once all the ingredients are combined, the cheese sauce is finished! Feel free to use it right away, or store in the fridge for a few hours before use (this will help the flavors develop a little bit).
How long does blue cheese dressing last?
Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing doesn’t last very long. This dressing should last 5-6 days in the refrigerator when stored in an air-tight container. It’s one of those foods that’s best eaten fresh or within a few days.
Can blue cheese dressing be frozen?
I would not recommend freezing this dressing as it contains dairy. Dairy products can separate when frozen then thawed.
Luckily, this dressing is so easy to whip up that freezing really isn’t necessary.
Is blue cheese dressing gluten free?
I myself don’t eat gluten, and am happy to report this is a Gluten Free Blue Cheese Dressing!
Of course, it’s always best to check the labels on each individual ingredient to be sure, as each brand differs.
Is blue cheese dressing keto friendly?
This keto blue cheese dressing is totally Keto friendly! It contains no sugar and all the ingredients are approved for the Keto diet, so feel free to enjoy.
Try this dressing with healthy appetizer recipes like air fryer mushrooms!
What goes with blue cheese dressing?
I love this dressing because it is so versatile! It’s great as a salad dressing, especially on wedge salads, or as a topping on grilled burgers or sandwiches. Best of all, though, this chunky blue cheese dressing is perfect buffalo wings! Actually, it makes a great dipping sauce for any type of crispy or fried appetizers or finger foods.
You can drizzle it on roasted vegetables like this Roasted Cauliflower with Parmesan, or add it to a wrap. It makes a nice dipping sauce on a platter of fresh vegetables, and I’m guessing some freshly fried potato chips dipped in it would be pretty tasty.
I’ve even used this recipe as a light and crunchy coleslaw dressing. Mix it with shredded cabbage and add to a grilled buffalo sandwich for a dish that’s out of this world!
Love making your own sauce recipes? Try some of our other Sunday Supper sauces…
- Peri Peri Sauce Recipe
- How to Make Buffalo Sauce
- How to Make Cheese Sauce
- Easy Hollandaise Sauce
- How to Make Alfredo Sauce
- How to Make Teriyaki Sauce
Did you make this recipe? Leave a comment below and let us know what you think!
- Small bowl
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- 1 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1/3 cup minced fresh chives
- Combine 3/4 cup sour cream, 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 3 Tbsp. lemon juice, 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce, and a generous pinch of salt and pepper together in a small bowl. Stir until combined using a small whisk or fork.
- Fold 1 cup of blue cheese crumbles into the dressing.
- Mince 1/3 cup of fresh chives and stir them into the dressing until completely combined.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge for a few hours to allow flavors to develop.
- Feel free to use more or less chives to increase or decrease the flavor.
- If you would like a thicker dressing, use more sour cream. For a thinner dressing, add more lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce.
- This recipe yields about 1 1/2 cups.