This post may contain paid links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
I am going to show you how to make Blue Cheese Dressing that’s perfect for salads, sandwiches, or as a dipping sauce! My homemade blue cheese dressing is easy and the best Blue Cheese Dressing for wings. Once you try it, you will make my homemade blue cheese dressing over and over again!
Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing
There are plenty of high-quality store-bought sauces and dressings out there, but nothing compares to a homemade version. This could not be truer than for blue cheese dressing. My homemade blue cheese salad dressing recipe is SO easy to make, versatile, and bursting with savory blue cheese flavor.
I love this easy dressing recipe because it’s thick, rich, and creamy, but not overpowering. It adds just the right amount of zing to everything, from grilled chicken salad to pinwheel sandwiches, to buffalo wings. I have a jar of this dressing in my fridge all the time!
I will never buy store-bought dressing ever again. This dressing is amazing and so easy to make! Truly the best blue cheese dressing I have tried.KelliAnn
Bleu Cheese Dressing Ingredients
- Sour Cream
- Lemon Juice
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Salt and Black Pepper
- Blue Cheese Crumbles
- Fresh Chives
How to Make Blue Cheese Dressing
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Stir all of these ingredients until smooth using a small whisk or a fork.
- Add blue cheese crumbles to the dressing and stir to combine. Mince fresh chives and fold them into the dressing.
Once all the ingredients are combined, the cheese sauce is finished! Feel free to use it right away, or store it in the fridge for a few hours before use (this will help the flavors develop a little bit).
Recipe for Blue Cheese Dressing Tips
- Greek yogurt can be used instead of sour cream if you want a bit more of a tangy flavor.
- Play around with different cheese flavors and see which one is your favorite. Some I have tried are Gorgonzola, Stilton and Roquefort.
How to Store Blue Cheese Recipe
Homemade blue cheese dressing can be safely stored in the refrigerator for approximately 5-6 days.
- Store in an airtight container: Use an airtight container to prevent air from entering, which can lead to spoilage.
- Keep it cold: Store the dressing in the refrigerator at a temperature of 40°F (4°C) or lower.
- Check for signs of spoilage: Before using the dressing, inspect it for any unusual changes in smell, color, or texture.
- Label and date: It’s a good practice to label the container with the date you prepared the dressing. This helps you keep track of its freshness.
What is Blue Cheese Dressing?
This easy blue cheese dressing consists of a creamy element such as sour cream, mayonnaise, buttermilk, or heavy cream, along with something tart, such as vinegar or lemon juice, as well as a savory flavor like onion or garlic powder, or Worcestershire sauce.
The most important component of homemade cheese dressing is, of course, blue cheese. The cheese is aged in a temperature-controlled environment to produce its specific taste and color. You can purchase it in a wedge or already crumbled, and the flavor is very sharp.
Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe FAQs
Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing doesn’t last very long. This dressing should last 5-6 days in the refrigerator when stored in an air-tight container. It’s one of those foods that’s best eaten fresh or within a few days.
I would not recommend freezing this dressing as it contains dairy. Dairy products can separate when frozen and then thawed. Luckily, this dressing is so easy to whip up that freezing isn’t necessary.
This keto blue cheese dressing is totally Keto friendly! It contains no sugar and all the ingredients are approved for the Keto meal plan, so feel free to enjoy. Try this dressing with healthy appetizer recipes like air fryer mushrooms!
What to Serve with Blue Cheese Dressing
- Buffalo Wings
- Crock Pot Chicken Wings – see my guide on How to Cut Chicken Wings and my chicken wings seasoning!
- Air Fryer Cauliflower Wings
- Pizza Monkey Bread
It makes a nice dipping sauce on a platter of fresh vegetables, and I’m guessing some freshly fried potato chips dipped in it would be pretty tasty. It is the perfect dip for Chicken Wings!
Homemade Salad Dressing Recipes
- Try my Homemade Ranch Dressing next!
- Honey Balsamic Dressing
- Vietnamese Salad Dressing
- Japanese Ginger Dressing
- Chipotle Ranch Dressing
Did you make this recipe? Leave a comment below and let us know what you think!
Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe
See our Cooking Conversions Chart for help converting measurements!
- Combine ¾ cup sour cream, ¼ cup mayonnaise, 3 Tbsp. lemon juice, 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce, and a generous pinch of salt and pepper together in a small bowl. Stir until combined using a small whisk or fork.
- Fold 1 cup of blue cheese crumbles into the dressing. Mince ⅓ cup of fresh chives and stir them into the dressing until completely combined.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge for a few hours to allow flavors to develop.
- Feel free to use more or less chives to increase or decrease the flavor.
- If you would like a thicker dressing, use more sour cream. For a thinner dressing, add more lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce.
- This recipe yields about 1 ½ cups.