This EASY one pot chicken dinner will become your go-to dinner recipe any night of the week! One Pot Chicken Orzo Pasta with Mushrooms is creamy, comforting and incredibly easy to make. Using simple ingredients, it comes together quickly for an easy dinner your family will love it!
One Pot Meals
So how much do you love one pot meals? If you’re anything like me, you really, really love one pot meals.
- Less dishes to wash up
- All your food groups in one pot
- Perfectly infused flavors
The fact that everything is cooked in just one pan means washing up is a breeze, but more important is one pot chicken meals are quick and very tasty too. The flavors all get a chance to infuse together meaning one pot meals are often very comforting as well.
One Pot Chicken
Easy chicken dinners are my go to and this One Pot Chicken Orzo Pasta with Mushrooms combines simple but delicious flavors perfect for a family meal. You can probably tell I’m a big chicken fan. Chicken is just so versatile, works well with so many different flavors, and can be cooked in such a variety of ways. Baked, stir-fried, poached, the list goes on, and totally perfect for a one pot meal.
What is Orzo Pasta?
So I keep mentioning orzo pasta. If you’ve not come across it before, orzo, also known as risoni, is a cute little pasta that looks like rice. Yep, just simple pasta. Because of its size, orzo cooks very quickly and is perfect in dishes like my One Pot Chicken Orzo. It also works brilliantly in salads and soups.
One Pot Chicken Orzo Pasta Recipe Tips
- First you’ll brown off the chicken in just a little oil then set it aside
- Add some onion, celery, and garlic to the pan followed later by the mushrooms and orzo
- Then for a little extra mushroom kick, we add some dried porcini mushrooms. If you aren’t able to get hold of them, don’t worry, this dish still tastes great without
- Finally, some salt, pepper and we add back the chicken. This then simmers, covered, for around 12 minutes. Yes, you heard right (12 minutes)
Try these pasta recipes:
- Mushroom Spinach Pasta
- Creamy Mushroom Pasta
- Chicken Glorioso Pasta Bake
- Homemade Bolognese Sauce with Pappardelle Pasta
Once all is said and done, you can have this dish on the table in under half an hour. A satisfying, flavorsome one pot chicken dinner that your family will love and likely go back for seconds.
Try these other orzo pasta recipes:
- Greek Orzo Pasta Salad with Chicken
- The Best Orzo Recipes
- Lemon Orzo Pasta Salad
- Cheesy Orzo Pasta Bake
One Pot Chicken Orzo Pasta
- Salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 chicken thighs bone-in, skin on
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- 1/2 red onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 300 g swiss brown mushrooms or cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/4 cups orzo pasta risoni
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 5 g dried porcini mushrooms
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 1/4 cups chicken stock
- Parsley to serve
- Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil over high heat, then add the chicken thighs, skin side down. Cook for about 5 minutes until the skin is nice and golden, then turn over and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Drain away most of the excess oil, leaving about 1 tablespoon in the pan. Turn the heat down to medium.
- Add the onion, celery and garlic and saute, stirring often for 2-3 minutes until starting to turn translucent.
- While this is happening, in a small bowl, pour the boiling water over the dried porcini. Let it sit for about 2 minutes to soften, before scooping out the mushroom and finely chopping them.
- Strain the porcini stock into the chicken stock to remove any grit.
- Add the swiss brown mushrooms and saute for a further 1 minute
- Add the orzo, and saute for another 2 minutes
- Now, add the salt, pepper, chopped porcini, and stock and give the whole lot good stir. Bring it to the boil then add back the chicken, skin side up
- Turn the heat down to low, so you just have a very slight simmer. Cover and cook for around 10-12 minutes until the orzo is tender.
- Scatter over the finely chopped parsley right before serving