Sunday Supper is an Amazon Associate and may receive compensation for purchases made through affiliate links.
Our Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are rich, creamy, and so easy to make in a snap. You don’t even have to cut the potatoes! They’re ready in under 30 minutes and are so buttery and delicious.
Our Galbi Jjim recipe is complete with a mouth-watering, sweet-and-spicy chili garlic sauce. Every tender, juicy bite is packed with flavor!
These boneless beef short ribs cook low and slow for meat so tender, you can shred it with a fork. They’re full of intense beef flavor, and the sauce forms a sticky glaze. The best way I can describe this dish is ‘meat candy’. It’s that delicious.
And, they’re the perfect cold weather recipe. Serve them during Fall and Winter – they’re the best “stick to your ribs” dish! There is nothing better than the smell of beef short ribs braising in the oven when it’s cold outside!
Easy Mashed Potatoes in Instant Pot
There is nothing like a bowl of creamy, buttery mashed potatoes. I honestly think I could eat them with every meal, especially if roast beef is on the menu. My family is the same way, so you could say they’re my specialty – I make them pretty often!
The only prep work you’ll do is peeling the potatoes. No need to cut them – they go into the pot whole! Your pressure cooker does the rest of the work for you in just 12 minutes.
🥔 What are the best potatoes to use?
The best potatoes for mashed potatoes are dense and smooth, like Russet or Yukon gold.
Can you keep them warm in the Instant Pot?
Yes. You can keep your pressure cooker on the “Keep Warm” setting with the potatoes in the pot for up to 2 hours.
This is great for when you want to make them ahead of time and keep them warm for when guests arrive!
Can you make mashed potatoes without milk?
Yes. If you’re leaving out the milk, use extra butter. You can also mix in chicken stock or even drippings from turkey to add a little more liquid, which helps when mashing them!
How long do leftovers last in the fridge?
Your leftovers will last 3 to 5 days in the refrigerator, if you don’t gobble them up before then!
Store in an air-tight container and add a pat of butter when reheating.
🔥 Reheating Mashed Potatoes
If you’re reheating several servings, use the Keep Warm function and let your potatoes heat over time in the pot. Stir occasionally to heat through and add a splash of more milk if necessary, plus more butter.
If you’re reheating just a smaller serving amount, place the leftovers in a heat-proof dish and follow these steps:
- Fluff them up with a fork first.
- Pour 1 cup water into the pot, then add your trivet.
- Place the heatproof dish of potatoes on the trivet and use the Steam function for 5 minutes.
⭐ Family Foodie Tips
- No need to cut your potatoes. After peeling, you can cook them whole. That’s part of what makes this recipe so convenient!
Be careful not to over-mix. If you mix on too high of a speed or for too long, they will come out gluey! Mix gently.
❄ How to Freeze
You can freeze this recipe in individual portions or in one big portion to reheat when you need it! Make sure to add plenty of milk and butter. This helps the potatoes freeze well.
- Scoop potatoes into individual servings onto a parchment-lined baking sheet with a spoon. Freeze until solid (this usually takes a few hours or overnight), then transfer to a freezer bag or container labeled with the freezing date.
- Transfer cooked potatoes to a freezer-safe container or bag and label with the date. I like to place them in the same dish I’ll bake them in later, wrapped in foil and plastic wrap.
When reheating from frozen, reheat in the oven straight out of the freezer at 350°F for 30 minutes. Heat covered with foil.
🥗 Instant Pot Recipes
This easy mashed potatoes recipe is one of our favorite Instant Pot recipes and pairs so well with other quick and easy recipes.
- This easy Beef Stew gets us every time.
- You need this easy recipe for French Bread to enjoy all the delicious gravy!
- Our new favorite turkey recipe is made in the Instant Pot! You won’t believe how easy it is.
Save the Video Pin
Did you try this recipe? Leave a comment and a rating below to let us know what you think! We love to hear from you!
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- 2.5 lbs. potatoes whole and peeled, use Russet or Yukon gold
- ½ stick butter
- 5 Tbsp. salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- green onions for garnish
- additional butter for extra flavor
- additional salt & pepper to taste
- Heat a 6 qt. Instant Pot and add 2.5 lbs. peeled whole potatoes.
- Cover halfway with water (do not fully submerge them).
- Secure the lid and cook on high pressure for 12 minutes.
- Release the pressure naturally. Carefully remove the inside pot and drain, then return to the cooker.
- Use a hand mixer on low to mash them, but be careful not to over-mix. Add in ½ a stick of butter 1 tablespoon at a time while continuing to blend.
- When the butter melts and they're completely smooth, add 2 cups whole milk. Blend well, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add even more flavor to your Instant Pot mashed potatoes by including chopped green onions and additional butter!
- No need to cut your potatoes. After peeling, you can cook them whole in the Instant Pot. That’s part of what makes this recipe so convenient!
- Be careful not to over-mix. If you mix them on too high of a speed or for too long, they will come out gluey! Mix gently.