This post may contain paid links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Enjoy this sweet and tart recipe for rhubarb sauce over your favorite desserts, or as a base for baking or making ice cream! This easy sauce recipe uses just four ingredients and is ready in three simple steps. It has quickly become one of our favorite dessert sauces. Every year when the snow starts to melt I get so excited because I know rhubarb season is just around the corner! Once I have rhubarb handy, it’s just a matter of time before I whip up rhubarb sauce. This recipe is one of the Best Rhubarb Sauces!
Ingredients in Rhubarb Sauce Recipe
An advantage of making homemade rhubarb sauce is you can control what ingredients are used! You need only four simple ingredients for this recipe:
- Fresh rhubarb, sliced into one-inch pieces. The star ingredient!
- Water. This will help thin down your sauce so you can easily pour it over your treats.
- Granulated sugar. Rhubarb is nice and tart, so a little sugar helps even out the flavor.
- Lemon juice. I LOVE adding lemon to fruit sauces like strawberry and rhubarb because it adds even more freshness!
How to make Rhubarb Sauce
You can make rhubarb sauce in just one pot with a blender:
- Combine the rhubarb, water, and sugar in the pot. Heat over medium heat. The sugar will melt and the rhubarb will start to get soft.
- Once the water comes to a low boil and the rhubarb is soft when you press a spoon into it, remove from the heat and mix in the lemon juice.
- Use your emulsion blender to blend the sauce into a uniform texture. Alternatively, you can transfer the sauce into a blender and blend it all together. Let cool before serving!
Can you freeze Rhubarb Sauce?
Yes! You can freeze rhubarb sauce. Make sure whatever container you use to freeze the sauce in has a little extra space for the sauce to expand. Rhubarb sauce contains water, so you want to give it room in the freezer for when it freezes.
What to make with Rhubarb Sauce
There are plenty of things you can make with rhubarb sauce! You can serve it over scones, yogurt, and granola, or something super rhubarb-y like fresh rhubarb ice cream! You can also use the rhubarb sauce as a base or filling. Mix it into plain yogurt to make rhubarb yogurt or in an ice cream base before churning to flavor ice cream. Rhubarb sauce is a versatile sauce recipe, perfect for topping desserts or as a base for baking. Give this sauce a try over ice cream, yogurt, or in a pastry, and let us know what you think in the comments below!
Love rhubarb as much as we do? Try these other Sunday Supper rhubarb recipes…
- Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
- Rhubarb and Apple Crumble
- Strawberry Rhubarb Jam
- Rhubarb Muffins
- Stewed Rhubarb
- Rhubarb Dump Cake
- Rhubarb Steamed Pudding
- Pork Tenderloin with Rhubarb Chutney
- Rhubarb Bread
See our Cooking Conversions Chart for help converting measurements!
- Combine the rhubarb, water and sugar in a small pot. Heat over medium heat. The sugar will melt and the rhubarb will start to get soft.
- Once the water comes to a low boil and the rhubarb is soft when you press a spoon into, remove from the heat and mix in the lemon juice.
- Use your emulsion blender to blend the sauce into a uniform texture. Alternatively you can transfer the sauce into a blender and blend it all together. Let cool before serving!