Creamy mushroom pasta is a one pan pasta recipe with white wine cream sauce, chestnut mushrooms, fresh parsley, and parmesan cheese! Try this vegetarian pasta recipe for lunch or dinner.
Simple Creamy Mushroom Pasta Recipe
This easy mushroom pasta is for the evenings when we require nothing more than a simple pasta recipe. It’s for the evenings when cooking is not high on the agenda, and one pot recipes like pea pasta with pesto sauce or creamy cajun chicken pasta are the answer to our dinner questions.
Creamy mushroom pasta is as easy to make as it gets. The mouth-watering combination of chestnut mushrooms with white wine cream sauce, creme fraiche and parmesan makes this dish a real crowd pleaser.
Creamy Mushroom Pasta Ingredients
To make this mushroom pasta with cream sauce, you will need:
- Finely chopped onion
- Garlic clove
- Plain flour
- Chestnut/shiitake mushrooms (or your choice of mushroom)
- White wine
- Semi-skimmed milk
- Parmesan (or your choice of hard cheese)
- Spaghetti (or your choice of pasta)
- Dijon mustard (optional)
- Creme Fraiche
- Freshly chopped parsley
Creamy Mushroom Sauce for Pasta
To make the ultimate creamy mushroom sauce, you will first need to make a soft and silky white sauce.
This requires 5 minutes of patience to slowly combine butter, flour and milk, and gently cook until thick and creamy. Making this sauce extra special and full of flavour requires some key ingredients, which pair fantastically well with the chestnut mushrooms.
The first is a few good glugs of white wine, which creates an incredible scent of pears and apples as soon as it hits the hot pan. Cook the wine gently for a few minutes to allow the alcohol to burn off before the milk is added.
Towards the end of cooking, the parmesan, dijon mustard and creme fraiche are stirred into the sauce to ensure a full flavoured, creamy and satisfying finish to the dish. White wine cream sauce adds so much flavor to this mushroom pasta recipe.
How to Make Easy Mushroom Pasta
To make this simple creamy mushroom pasta recipe, follow these steps:
- In a large pan, melt butter and fry garlic and onions until soft.
- Add mushrooms and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add flour and stir in before adding a splash of white wine and then gradually adding milk. Stir until white wine cream sauce starts to to thicken.
- Next add parmesan, dijon mustard, creme fraiche and seasoning to the sauce and stir in well.
- Finally add cooked spaghetti and stir to coat in the sauce, then top with extra parmesan and fresh parsley.
What to Serve with Mushroom Pasta
The best thing to serve with this creamy pasta recipe is warm sprouted grain bread, perfect for dunking and mopping up the mushroom sauce. You could also pair this dish with a side of garlic parmesan roasted carrots or a fresh vegetable salad with creamy balsamic dressing.
And, for an extra special treat, why not make this mushroom pasta recipe with your own homemade pasta?
Try these easy mushroom recipes!
Do you love cooking with mushrooms as much as we do? Try this collection of simple mushroom recipes:
- Baked Portobello Mushrooms
- Air Fryer Mushrooms
- Chicken and Mushroom Pie
- Mushroom Swiss Burger
- Button Mushrooms Recipe
- Mushroom Risotto Recipe
- Hungarian Mushroom Soup
- Sauteed Mushrooms and Onions
- Mushroom Grilled Cheese and French Onion Soup
- Mushroom Spinach Pasta
- Vegetarian Stuffed Mushroom Recipe
- Instant Pot Risotto
- Chicken Breast and Mushroom Recipe
Leave a comment!
If you loved this mushroom pasta recipe, let us know what you think in the comments and with a rating!
Creamy mushroom pasta is a one pan pasta recipe with white wine cream sauce, chestnut mushrooms, fresh parsley, and Parmesan cheese! Try this vegetarian pasta recipe for lunch or dinner.
- 1 Tbsp. Butter (15 g)
- 1 Onion finely chopped (about 3.5 oz or 100 g)
- 1 clove Garlic finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp Plain flour
- 10.6 oz Chestnut/shiitake mushrooms (or other type of mushrooms; about 300 g)
- 100 ml White wine
- 300 ml 2% milk
- 2 Tbsp Grated parmesan (or other choice of hard cheese; about 30 g)
- 10.6 oz Uncooked Spaghetti (or other pasta)
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard (optional)
- 1 tbsp Creme Fraiche or Soured cream
- Handful freshly chopped parsley
In a large pan melt the butter and gently fry the garlic and onions until soft. Add the mushrooms and stir fry for another 2 minutes or until just starting to soften.
Sprinkle flour over the mushrooms and stir in well. Some flour may start to stick to the base of the pan at this point, but don't worry.
Next, add the wine and scrape up any bits of flour. As the wine reduces it will mix with the flour and start to thicken.
As the wine thickens start to add the milk a little at a time whilst continually stirring. The gradual additions of milk and continual stirring will prevent any lumps forming and will create a silky, smooth white sauce.
Once all the milk is added continue to stir and allow to simmer for a couple of minutes to ensure the flour is cooked out and the sauce is fully thickened.
Next add parmesan, dijon mustard, creme fraiche and seasoning to the sauce and stir in well.
Finally add cooked spaghetti to the pan and stir to coat in the sauce, then top with extra parmesan and fresh parsley and serve.
The Sunday Supper Movement is committed to bringing our readers delicious recipes that encourage them to gather and eat together around the family table. Search for your favorite ingredients on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Sunday Supper Pinterest boards for plenty more ideas and inspiration.