Slow Cooker Lasagna is the only lasagna recipe my family now asks for. This is by far the easiest and tastiest lasagna you will ever make!
It is so moist and juicy and perfect when entertaining a large group of friends or throwing a dinner party. I have even made this for my kid’s team meals and received rave reviews!
Why is this the Easiest Lasagna Recipe?
One hint: You don’t have to cook the noodles! Everyone knows what a pain those noodles are to cook and try not to get them to stick. We have that problem solved, don’t cook the noodles and let them cook in the slow cooker.
Our crockpot lasagna literally cooks on its own! Just assemble it in the crockpot in the morning and walk away. It will slow cook on low all day long and have your house smelling so good. Slow Cooker recipes are the best!
Easy Lasagna Recipe
The best part about this easy lasagna recipe is that it only requires 15 minutes of prep time. If you can layer ingredients, you can make our crockpot lasagna recipe. It’s the easiest lasagna recipe you will ever make.
The flavors in this meat lasagna recipe marinate and build all day long as it cooks in the crockpot.
You won’t even have to call the family to dinner! The wonderful smell of this cheesy lasagna recipe will do it for you. Slow Cooker Lasagna is perfect for an easy weeknight meal prep dinner or slow cooker Sunday supper!
Ingredients for Lasagna
- olive oil
- ground beef (we recommend 80/20 blend)
- ground mild Italian sausage
- medium onion, chopped very fine
- garlic cloves, minced (or 1 teaspoon of minced garlic)
- marinara tomato sauce
- Italian seasoning
- ricotta cheese
- parsley, chopped (optional)
- mozzarella cheese, shredded (large shred, not fine shred)
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- lasagna noodles, uncooked oven-ready
- salt and pepper to taste
What’s the best cheese for lasagna?
We use three types of cheese in our slow cooker lasagna. The best cheese for lasagna includes a lightly seasoned ricotta, large shred mozzarella, and grated Parmesan.
Can I substitute cottage cheese?
Yes! You can use cottage cheese instead of ricotta if you prefer. You can even use a mix of cottage cheese with extra Parmesan.
Can I leave out the meat?
Yes, absolutely. You can leave out the meat and substitute vegetables if you’d like to. Thinly sliced carrots, zucchini, spinach, and squash are perfect in this recipe.
Check out our Vegetarian Lasagna Recipe. It is also so delicious.
Can I use regular lasagna noodles?
You can use regular lasagna noodles. You will have to increase the liquid, the tomato sauce, by one cup. You can divide a little extra sauce into each layer. Regular noodles require a bit more liquid to cook properly.
This recipe feeds approximately 12-15 people. I love to entertain and this is my go-to recipe. You will need a large oval 8-quart Crock-Pot.
If you prefer small amounts, jut cut the recipe in half and use a small round 5-quart Crock-pot.
How to Cook Lasagna
This easy Italian slow cooker recipe is created by layering uncooked, oven-ready, lasagna noodles with a meat sauce and three types of cheese. It’s so easy!
How to Make Meat Sauce
- In a large skillet over medium heat, slowly cook the onion until lightly brown.
- Add the garlic and continue to stir until browned,
- Add the ground beef and sausage and cook while breaking up the pieces with a wooden spoon, until browned.
- Stir the tomato sauce into the cooked meat.
- Stir in the Italian seasoning and simmer on low for approximately 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat. This is your lasagna meat sauce.
Family Foodie Recipe tip: If you want to serve additional meat sauce on the side, I recommend doubling the meat sauce.
Looking for a simpler sauce recipe? Try our best meatball sauce recipe. It’s perfect for meatballs, pasta, and more.
How to Layer Lasagna
- In a medium bowl make the cheese mixture. Combine ricotta cheese, the eggs, 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese, parsley, and salt and pepper.
- Cover the bottom of the greased slow cooker with 1 cup of the meat sauce. This is very important to start with the sauce at the bottom!
- Top with the uncooked, oven-ready, lasagna noodle. You will have to cut the lasagna noodles in order to fit the slow cooker.
- Cover with 1/4 of the ricotta mixture. Sprinkle with approximately 1/4 of the mozzarella cheese and Parmesan.
- Repeat the layers again: sauce, noodles, ricotta, mozzarella, and Parmesan.
- Repeat the layers a fourth time, then, for the final layer, top the cheese with one last layer of noodles and cover with about 1 cup of the meat sauce.
- Top with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- Place the slow cooker on low for approximately 7 hours and bake covered. Once the top cheese is bubbling, switch the slow cooker to warm for approximately 1 hour or until ready to serve.
- Family Foodie Tip: This is an important step. It will give the noodles and cheese time to firm up a bit and will enable you to serve the lasagna without falling apart.
- Once ready to serve, cut the lasagna into squares with a knife and use a metal serving spatula to serve.
- Family Foodie Tip: You will want to cut smaller pieces since this lasagna is very deep.
Note: If you are cooking for a crowd, you will need a large oval crockpot for this recipe. If you make 1/2 the recipe, you can use a small round slow cooker.
Why do I have to add eggs to the ricotta cheese?
Adding egg helps hold the cheese together so it doesn’t ooze out of the lasagna. It also helps hold the lasagna together as it cools.
Do you have to cook the meat before adding to the slow cooker?
The meat needs to be cooked before layering with the noodles and cheese in the slow cooker.
Make-ahead tip: You can save cook time on the day by cooking the spaghetti sauce the night before and refrigerating until needed.
⭐ Family Foodie Tips
Top Tip: Make sure to add a layer of the sauce at the bottom of the slow cooker so the lasagna won’t burn!
- How much salt and pepper you add to the meat sauce will depend on how much is in the marinara sauce. Adjust the seasonings as needed.
- Save time by cooking the meat the night before and refrigerating until ready to assemble the lasagna.
- Be sure to drain any fat from the sausage and ground beef before adding the marinara sauce.
- Make sure to let the lasagna rest on warm for at least 30 minutes before serving. This will ensure the lasagna doesn’t fall apart.
Best Lasagna Recipes
- Instant Pot Lasagna
- Cast Iron Skillet Lasagna
- Healthy Make Ahead Lasagna
- Mexican Lasagna with Corn Tortillas
- Lasagna for Two
Love pasta? Get even more Comfort Food Pasta Recipes like this one!
📌 Pin it for later!Did you enjoy this page? Save it on Pinterest for later!
Slow Cooker Lasagna
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound Italian sausage ,removed from casing
- 1 medium onion ,finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic ,minced or 1 tablespoon of garlic paste
- 8 cups tomato marinara sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 32 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped parsley optionnal
- 2 pounds low-moisture mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound uncooked lasagne noodles oven ready variety
- In a large pan, drizzle olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic and saute until golden brown.
- Add the ground beef and sausage (without casing). Use a wooden spoon to break up the meat into small pieces until the meat is fully cooked.
- Stir in the marinara sauce into the cooked meat. Stir in the Italian seasoning and season with salt and pepper
- Simmer for approximately 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, parsley (optional) and salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover the bottom of the greased slow cooker with 1 cup of the meat sauce.
- Top with the oven ready lasagna noodles. You will need to break up the noodles in order to fit them into the shape of the crock pot.
- Add a ladle of the meat sauce and then the ricotta mixture. Top with the mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese. Repeat the layers three times. Top the last layer with the remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Set the slow cooker to low and cook for approximately 7 hours, until the mixture is bubbly and the noodles have cooked through. The lasagna can also cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Set the slow cooker on warm and allow the lasagna to rest. This will enable the lasagna to set and allow you to cut through without it falling apart.
- Serve with additional meat sauce and parmesan cheese.
- This recipe feeds approximately 12-15 people. I love to entertain and this is my go-to recipe. You will need a large oval 8-quart Crock-Pot. If you prefer small amounts, jut cut the recipe in half and use a small round 5-quart Crock-pot.
- If you want to serve additional meat sauce on top of the lasagna, I recommend doubling the meat sauce.
- You will want to slice this lasagna into smaller pieces since it is a deep dish.
Photo Credit: Tara Margetson