This Healthier Make Ahead Lasagna recipe NEEDS to be on your meal planning list. A hearty, cheesy, healthier lasagna recipe loaded with cheese and spinach and is freezer friendly too! This lasagna is a simple make-ahead meal that’s lighter in calories, yet still packed with amazing flavor! This healthier lasagna recipe is about to shoot straight to the top of your best freezer meals recipes – Check out some of our other favorite Delicious Healthy Make Ahead Freezer Meals.
It’s no secret that this time of year, once the holidays are winding down, we’re all looking to get back into our routines. It’s also no secret that sometimes we need a little help to get there. Easy Make Ahead Meals are the perfect freezer staple to get you back on track. You can spend a relaxed Sunday making this lighter lasagna or any of these comfort food pasta recipes. Our Make Ahead Dinner Party Recipes are also perfect for stocking the freezer to be ready for a busy week ahead.
Healthy Make Ahead Meals help you get a jump start on lighter dishes for the new year. This white lasagna is a vegetarian version that’s got lots of spinach and cheese to keep the family satisfied but skips out on using heavy cream to make it feel indulgent. It is the perfect freezable meal.
When I’m planning to make some make ahead meals to freeze, I usually set myself an hour or so for some proper meal planning to make sure I get my week under control. The whole process of easy freezer meals is pretty straight forward. Or, it is when you follow some simple guidelines. I’ve created a meal planning 101 class that breaks down exactly how to meal plan and how it would even help in the first place. Make Ahead Dinners are key to our weekly meals.
When I started meal planning, my stress level went down. My grocery bill went down. And my joy of cooking skyrocketed. So, as part of my weekly meal planning, I pick a few staple sauces that I can use in a few different dishes that really help me pull it all together. You’ve heard of the capsule wardrobe. Well, this is capsule meal planning and it works like a dream. My favorite sauce is a really useful red pepper sauce. It can be used as a pizza sauce, pasta sauce, a base for chili, and it can be incorporated into this lasagna to make it the perfect lasagna al forno. It’s one simple little 10-minute sauce that will have you covered for Sunday meals and all week long.
Top 5 reasons to make Healthy Freezer Meals
- You can assemble it and freeze it right away. Or you can bake it then freeze, making it one heck of a flexible make ahead lasagna.
- It’s a lighter version of a classic lasagna, perfect for going into the new year.
- This make ahead lasagna is a fabulous building block to meal planning your week and cutting dinner time stress.
- This is the best lasagna recipe and is perfect for you to add some extra veggies and create different versions of it week after week.
- It will be a new family classic after just one bite.
So, as we’re all starting to look towards the new year and get back into our routines and rhythms, quick healthy meals are a no-brainer. Meal planning can truly be what sets you free in the kitchen this year. This healthier make ahead lasagna is exactly what needs to be on your meal planning list.
Healthier Make Ahead Lasagna Freezer Meal
- 10 sheets lasagna cooked according to the package instructions
- 2 packages frozen spinach defrosted
For the White Sauce
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups milk whole or semi skimmed
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 cups reduced fat mozzarella grated
- 1 cup asiago grated
- 6 slices proscuitto
- Cook the lasagna noodles according to the package directions, and set aside.
- To make the white sauce, melt the butter in a medium sauce pan over a medium heat. Once melted add the flour and whisk to a thick paste also called a roux. Cook this out over the heat for about 2 minutes. This cooks out the flour.
- Slowly add the milk to the roux, while whisking continuously. Once all the milk is added bring the bechamel sauce the a boil for a minute. For a flour thickened sauce to reach it's full thickness the sauce needs to come to a boil. Add the nutmeg.
- Squeeze all the excess moisture from the spinach.
- In a round or square oven proof dish lay out a layer of the noodles.
- Top the layer with 1/3 of the bechamel sauce.
- Layer 1/3 of the spinach onto the sauce.
- Mix the two grated cheeses together and top the spinach layer with 1 cup of cheese.
- Continue with the layering process three more times, until all the ingredients are used.
- Top with the proscuitto.
- At this point you can choose to freeze the lasagna with a double layer of aluminum foil clearly labeled and dated. Or you can pre-heat the oven to 350f and bake the lasagna for about 40 minutes.
- Directions for cooking the lasagna after freezing: Defrost the lasagna, remove the foil and cook as instructed above.
- If cooking from frozen, leave the foil on and cook for about 1 hour or until the lasagna is hot, then remove the foil and bake for a further 30 minutes to crisp the proscuitto and brown the cheese.
Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
Get free recipes delivered to your inbox every week!
Thank you for joining the Sunday Supper family!
Something went wrong.