Light, crispy, and easy AIR FRYER MUSHROOMS are a flavorful appetizer you’ll love! This air fryer breaded mushrooms recipe makes an easy game day appetizer, PERFECT for dipping.
Mushrooms are one of my all-time favorite foods. I love mushrooms in all forms, from sautéed to grilled to stuffed. There’s nothing better than a creamy garlicky mushroom and shrimp risotto, vegetarian stuffed mushroom recipe, or a tangy roasted mushroom tapenade appetizer.
I’ve been preparing them a new way recently: air fryer mushrooms! After giving them a taste, you’ll wonder where these tasty little morsels have been all your life. Air Fryer Recipes are some of the best easy to make appetizers!
Air fryer mushrooms receive a coat of spiced bread crumbs before frying in an air fryer oven. They’re crunchy and completely addicting! Vegetarian Air fryer recipes make the perfect addition to a game day menu or as an appetizer to any meal. They’re delicious on their own or with a variety of sauces, from ranch or blue cheese dressing to marinara sauce. Plus, they’re way healthier than deep fried mushrooms!
What is an air fryer?
An air fryer is a kitchen appliance that cooks food by rapidly circulating hot air. A mechanical fan circulates the hot air around the contents of the air fryer, a process that both heats and cooks the food quickly. This is what’s known as the maillard reaction: the caramelization and browning of the food’s surface.
In other words, air fryer foods are nice and brown and crunchy. An air fryer produces the same effect as a deep fryer WITHOUT the need for tons of hot oil! The result is also a much healthier version of our favorite deep fryer foods, so you can indulge in your favorite fried foods without regretting it later.
Ingredients for Mushroom Appetizers
For these mushrooms you will need:
- 1 8 oz. package of Baby Bella portobello mushrooms
- 3 eggs
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Smoked Paprika
- Italian seasoning
- Salt and Pepper
- Olive Oil Spray
How to Cook Fried Mushrooms in an Air Fryer
To cook fried mushrooms in an air fryer, start by preparing the mushrooms:
- Wipe any excess dirt from 1 8 oz. package of Baby Bella portobello mushrooms using a towel.
- Cut each mushroom into quarters and then cut each piece in half again (each mushroom will equal 8 pieces).
- Pour 1/2 cup flour onto a plate.
- Whisk 3 eggs in a bowl.
- Pour 1 1/2 cups Panko breadcrumbs into a bowl. Add the garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Stir until completely combined.
- Toss the chopped mushrooms in the flour until coated, then dunk the mushrooms in the eggs, and finally toss them in the spiced breadcrumb mixture until completely coated. Repeat with the remainder of the mushrooms.
Once the mushrooms are fully coated, it’s time to fry them! This process is super simple:
- Arrange the mushrooms on a plate or a flat surface and spray them lightly with a little olive oil. (* see below)
- Place 1/3 of the mushrooms in the basket of the fryer.
- Turn the air fryer ‘On‘, set the temperature to 360 degrees, and then set the time for 7 minutes.
- Push the basket into the Air Fryer and cook for 7 minutes. Once the time is up, pull the basket out, and remove the cooked mushrooms.
- Repeat with the remainder of the mushrooms until all of them are fried. Sprinkle with a little more salt after removing from the fryer. (** see below)
* RECIPE TIP: Use oil with a high smoke point such as extra light olive oil, avocado or grapeseed in an Air Fryer. It is advised NOT to use a non-stick spray such as Pam, as the additives in them can damage the Air Fryer.
** FRYING TIP: It’s best to fry the mushrooms in 3 batches so they cook evenly. When cooking anything in the air fryer, it’s important that there is enough space between the contents so the hot air can circulate evenly and properly brown the entire surface!
What to Serve with Air Fried Mushrooms
These mushrooms can be enjoyed as-is, especially with an appetizer platter or buffet, or with a variety of sauces. I recommend ranch dressing as that’s what I prefer, but blue cheese dressing or even a dressing like honey mustard is delicious. Marinara or pizza sauce is also an option!
The spices in this portobello mushroom air fryer recipe gives them awesome flavor and the breadcrumbs add an unbelievable crunch. What I love about them is that they’re delicious right out of the fryer AND after they’ve cooled down a bit. They don’t get soggy like regular fried mushrooms.
Love mushrooms? Try these recipes…
- Sautéed Mushrooms and Onions
- Chicken Breast and Mushroom Recipe
- Hungarian Mushroom Soup
- Mushroom Grilled Cheese and French Onion Soup
- Vegetarian Stuffed Mushroom Recipe
- Air Fryer Mushrooms
- Mushroom Risotto Recipe
- Baked Portobello Mushrooms
- Mushroom Swiss Burger
Did you try this recipe? We love how it tasted like Air Fryer Roasted Mushrooms. Leave a comment and let us know what you think!
The Sunday Supper Movement is committed to bringing our readers delicious recipes that encourage them to gather and eat together around the family table. Search for your favorite ingredients on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Sunday Supper Pinterest boards for plenty more ideas and inspiration.
Sign up for our newsletter to get FREE Sunday Supper recipes delivered right to your inbox!
Light, crispy, and easy AIR FRYER MUSHROOMS are a flavorful appetizer you'll love! Fried mushrooms make an easy game day appetizer, PERFECT for dipping.
- 1 8 oz. package Portobello mushrooms Baby Bella variety
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. salt and pepper adjust to taste
- olive oil spray
Wipe any excess dirt from 1 8 oz. package of 'Baby Bella' Portobello mushrooms using a towel.
Cut each mushroom into quarters and then cut each piece in half again (each mushroom will equal 8 pieces).
Pour 1/2 cup flour onto a plate.
Whisk 3 eggs in a bowl.
Pour 1 1/2 cups Panko breadcrumbs into a bowl. Add the garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Stir until completely combined.
Toss the chopped mushrooms in the flour until coated, then dunk the mushrooms in the eggs, and finally toss them in the spiced breadcrumb mixture until completely coated. Repeat with the remainder of the mushrooms.
Arrange the mushrooms on a plate or flat surface. Spray lightly with a can of olive oil.
Turn the Air Fryer 'On'. Set to 360 degrees and 7 minutes.
Arrange 1/3 of the mushrooms in the Air Fryer basket. (Make sure the mushrooms are not over-crowded). Push the basket into the fryer and cook for 7 minutes.
Remove the mushrooms from the fryer when fully cooked. Repeat with the other two batches of mushrooms. Sprinkle with a little more salt after removing from the fryer.
Serve immediately. Can be enjoyed alone or with any variety of dipping sauces.
RECIPE TIP: It's important to use oil with a high smoking point such as extra light olive oil, avocado, or grapeseed oil. For best results do not use a non-stick spray such as Pam.