Air Fryer Mushrooms will be your new favorite appetizer recipe! Light and crispy, this easy air fryer recipe makes the best game day appetizer. Air fryer breaded mushrooms pair well with all your favorite dipping sauces and are perfect for a party!
Once you try frying mushrooms in the air fryer, you will want to make them this way every time!
Needless to say, I love cooking mushrooms. Recently, I tried making these air fried mushrooms, and after giving them a taste, I can tell you one thing. You will wonder where these tasty little morsels have been all your life!
To make these air fryer mushrooms, you will need:
- A knife for cutting the mushrooms
- Two bowls and a plate
- Olive oil cooking spray*
- Your air fryer
Vegetarian air fryer recipes like this one and our Air Fryer Asparagus Fries are some of the best easy-to-make appetizers. They make a perfect addition to your game day menu or as an appetizer for any meal, especially grilling recipes.
Plus, it’s so easy to air fry mushrooms!
First, you coat them in spiced bread crumbs, then fry them in your air fryer. That’s really all there is to it. They’re so crunchy and so addicting! You can eat them on their own, or pair them with a variety of sauces.
And, an air fried mushrooms recipe is much healthier than deep fried mushrooms. You don’t need to use any oil since the fryer does all of the work. So not only is it easier, but it’s much better for you!
! Important note: Do not use a non-stick spray such as Pam in place of olive oil spray. Additives in non-stick spray can damage your Air Fryer. !
- 8 oz. package Baby Bella Portobello mushrooms
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper (or to taste)
- Olive oil cooking spray
Fun Fact: Mushroom Calories: Did you know that one cup of raw mushrooms contains only 15 calories and 2.3 grams of carbohydrates? It’s true! Mushrooms are a low calorie, low carbohydrate food.
They’re a great source of fiber, too! And, because only olive oil cooking spray is used to air fry mushrooms in this recipe, the whole dish is much more wholesome than traditionally fried mushrooms.
Enjoy this delicious, healthy mushroom appetizer recipe!
For this air fryer mushroom recipe, we use a mixture of garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper.
If you want to mix things up, you can try making these fried mushrooms with our Garlic Parmesan French Fry Seasoning. The combination is truly incredible, especially if you pair them with Sriracha Fry Sauce for dipping.
Give other sauce recipes a try with fried mushrooms, too! Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing is a delicious choice to pair them with. So are ranch and marinara sauce. I even like to dip them in Chorizo Cheese Dip!
Before you cook fried mushrooms in an air fryer, clean the mushrooms off first! This is super easy to do, and a necessary step.
Then, you’re going to slice them into pieces that are the perfect size for frying. Pre-sliced mushrooms won’t work well for this recipe as they are usually not cut into the wedges that work best for air frying.
How to Clean Mushrooms and Cut Them
- Wipe any excess dirt from one 8 oz. package of Baby Bella portobello mushrooms using a towel.
- Cut each mushroom into quarters, then cut each piece in half again. This means one mushroom will equal 8 pieces.
The next step is to bread and air fry the mushrooms.
How to Cook Mushrooms in an Air Fryer
- Pour 1/2 cup flour onto a plate.
- Crack 3 eggs in a bowl and whisk until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, mix 1 1/2 cups Panko breadcrumbs, 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Combine completely.
- Fully coat the chopped mushrooms in the flour. Then dunk the mushrooms in the eggs. Finally, toss them in the spiced breadcrumb mixture until they are completely coated. Do this until all mushrooms are coated.
- Arrange the mushrooms on a plate or flat surface. Spray them lightly with a little olive oil spray. Remember, don’t use non-stick spray! Use olive oil spray.
- Place 1/3 of the mushrooms in the basket of your air fryer. Then, turn the air fryer on and set the temperature to 360 degrees. Set the timer for 7 minutes.
- Push the basket into the air fryer and let it cook for 7 minutes. Once the time is up, remove the basket and place the cooked mushrooms on a plate.
- Repeat with the remaining mushrooms until the whole batch is fried. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce, and enjoy!
⭐ Family Foodie Tips
- Use an oil with a high smoke point such as extra light olive oil, avocado oil, or grapeseed oil. Do not use a non-stick spray such as Pam, as the additives in them can damage your fryer.
- Air fry mushrooms in 3 batches so they cook evenly. When cooking any food in the air fryer, you have to leave enough room between the contents so the hot air can circulate evenly and brown the entire surface.
💭 Frequently Asked Questions
What is an air fryer?
An air fryer is a kitchen appliance that cooks food by rapidly circulating hot air.
A mechanical fan circulates the hot air around the contents of the air fryer, a process that both heats and cooks the food quickly. You can make just about anything in an air fryer – even air fryer burgers!
This is what’s known as the maillard reaction: the caramelization and browning of the food’s surface.
In other words, air fryer foods are nice and brown and crunchy. An air fryer produces the same effect as a deep fryer WITHOUT the need for tons of hot oil!
The result is a much healthier version of our favorite deep fryer foods, so you can indulge in your favorite fried foods without regretting it later.
We love air fryer recipes! Especially recipes like these mushrooms or air fryer asparagus fries.
Have a question that you don’t see answered here? Leave us a comment or contact us to let us know!
🥗 Serving Suggestions
Fried mushrooms can be enjoyed as is, especially with an appetizer platter or buffet, or with a variety of sauces.
With this fried sliced mushroom recipe, I recommend ranch dressing, blue cheese dressing, or even honey mustard dressing. Marinara or pizza sauce is also an option!
The spices in this portobello mushroom air fryer recipe give them awesome flavor and the breadcrumbs add an unbelievable crunch.
What I love about these mushrooms is that they’re delicious right out of the fryer AND after they’ve cooled down a bit. They don’t get soggy like a regular fried mushroom recipe.
📖 Similar Recipes
If you love mushrooms as much as we do, you are going to love our other easy mushroom recipes! Start with our Garlic Butter White Button Mushrooms and Sauteed Mushrooms and Onions. They are so delicious!
For another portobello mushroom recipe, try our Baked Portobello Mushroom.
⭐ Try more of our best air fryer recipes!
- Air Fryer Asparagus Fries
- Air Fryer Steak and Lobster Recipe
- Air Fryer Frozen French Fries
- Air Fryer Grilled Cheese
- Air Fryer Ham (perfect for leftover Ham and Cheese Sliders!)
We even have air fryer meatballs that make the best spaghetti recipe ever!
📌 Pin it for later!Did you enjoy this page? Save it on Pinterest for later!
Did you try this recipe? We love the taste of air fryer roasted mushrooms! Leave a comment and a rating below to let us know what you think!
Air Fryer Mushrooms
- 1 8 oz. package Portobello mushrooms Baby Bella variety
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. salt and pepper adjust to taste
- olive oil spray
- Wipe any excess dirt from 1 8 oz. package of ‘Baby Bella’ Portobello mushrooms using a towel.
- Cut each mushroom into quarters and then cut each piece in half again (each mushroom will equal 8 pieces).
- Pour 1/2 cup flour onto a plate.
- Whisk 3 eggs in a bowl.
- Pour 1 1/2 cups Panko breadcrumbs into a bowl. Add the garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Stir until completely combined.
- Toss the chopped mushrooms in the flour until coated, then dunk the mushrooms in the eggs, and finally toss them in the spiced breadcrumb mixture until completely coated. Repeat with the remainder of the mushrooms.
- Arrange the mushrooms on a plate or flat surface. Spray lightly with a can of olive oil.
- Turn the Air Fryer ‘On’. Set to 360 degrees and 7 minutes.
- Arrange 1/3 of the mushrooms in the Air Fryer basket. (Make sure the mushrooms are not over-crowded). Push the basket into the fryer and cook for 7 minutes.
- Remove the mushrooms from the fryer when fully cooked. Repeat with the other two batches of mushrooms. Sprinkle with a little more salt after removing from the fryer.
- Serve immediately. Can be enjoyed alone or with any variety of dipping sauces.