Sunday Supper is an Amazon Associate and may receive compensation for purchases made through affiliate links.
Air Fryer Mushrooms are the best game day appetizer! Light and so crispy, this easy air-fried recipe pairs well with all your favorite dipping sauces, and it’s perfect for a party!
Mushrooms are one of my all-time favorite foods. I love them in all forms, from sauteed to pan-fried, stuffed, and even baked. Mushrooms are perfect for a special Holiday celebration. I love serving this recipe along with my Prime Rib or Standing Rib Roast recipes.
Recently, I gave these air fryer mushrooms a try as an appetizer, and oh, let me tell you… you will wonder where these tasty little morsels have been all your life!
Vegetarian air fryer recipes like this one and our Air Fryer Asparagus Fries are some of the best easy-to-make appetizers. They make a perfect addition to your game day menu or as an appetizer for any meal. They are so easy to prepare!
What kind of mushrooms should I use?
- We used Baby Bella Portobello Mushrooms but there are other great options
- Button Mushrooms
- Morel Mushrooms
- Portobello Mushrooms are also great, just cut them in small pieces
Have fun and try a variety of mushrooms for this delicious recipe.
An air-fried mushroom recipe is much healthier than deep-fried mushrooms. You don’t need to use any oil since the fryer does all of the work. So not only is it easier, but it’s much better for you!
Did you know that one cup of raw mushrooms contains only 15 calories and 2.3 grams of carbohydrates? It’s true! They are a low calorie, low carbohydrate food. See the Health Benefits of Mushrooms.
They’re a great source of fiber, too! And, because only olive oil cooking spray is used to air fry in this recipe, the whole dish is much more wholesome than frying the traditional way.
Important note: Do not use a non-stick spray such as Pam in place of olive oil spray. Additives in non-stick spray can damage your Air Fryer.
You can make your own olive oil spray by using an Olive Oil Sprayer!
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- smoked paprika
- Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper
If you want to mix things up, you can try making this dish with our Garlic Parmesan French Fry Seasoning. The combination is truly incredible, especially if you pair them with Sriracha Fry Sauce for dipping.
How to Clean Mushrooms
Before you cook fried mushrooms in an air fryer, clean them off! This is super easy to do.
Wipe any excess dirt from one 8 oz. package of Baby Bella portobello mushrooms using a paper towel. Do not place the mushrooms in water, just wipe away the dirt.
How to Cut Mushrooms
Pre-sliced mushrooms won’t work well for this recipe as they are usually not cut into the wedges that work best for air frying.
Cut each mushroom into quarters, then cut each piece in half again.
This means one mushroom will equal 8 pieces.
How to Cook Mushrooms in an Air Fryer
- Pour flour onto a plate. Crack eggs in a bowl and whisk until smooth. In a separate bowl, combine Panko breadcrumbs, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper.
- Fully coat the chopped mushrooms in the flour. Then dunk them in the eggs. Finally, toss them in the spiced breadcrumb mixture until they are completely coated. Do this until all are coated.
- Arrange them on a plate or flat surface. Spray them lightly with a little olive oil spray. Remember, don’t use non-stick spray!
- Place a third of the batch in the basket of your air fryer. Then, turn the air fryer on and set the temperature to 360 degrees. Set the timer for 7 minutes.
- Push the basket into the air fryer and let it cook. Once the time is up, remove the basket and place the cooked mushrooms on a plate. Repeat with the remaining mushrooms until the batch is fried. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce, and enjoy!
Get more Fancy Finger Food Recipes!
Air Fried Mushrooms Tips
- Use an oil with a high smoke point such as extra light olive oil, avocado oil, or grapeseed oil. Do not use a non-stick spray such as Pam, as the additives in them can damage your fryer.
- Make sure mushrooms are about the same size for even cooking.
- Air fry in 3 batches so they cook evenly. When cooking any food in the air fryer, you have to leave enough room between the contents so the hot air can circulate evenly and brown the entire surface.
- Cook time may vary depending on the size of your Air Fryer. Larger Air Fryers will cook quicker.
Sauces for Mushrooms
This is one of my favorite dishes to serve at parties, along with our famous elotes, they are always the hit of the party! My famous strawberry shortcake recipe is always the perfect ending to any celebration.
If you love mushrooms as much as we do, you are going to love our other easy mushroom recipes!
Best Air Fryer Recipes
📌 Pin it for later!Did you enjoy this page? Save it on Pinterest for later!
Save the Video Pin 📌
Check out our Air Fryer Mushrooms Web Story!
Did you try this recipe? We love the taste of air fryer roasted mushrooms! Leave a comment and a rating below to let us know what you think!
Air Fryer Mushrooms
- Air fryer
- 1 8 oz. package Portobello mushrooms Baby Bella variety
- ½ cup flour
- 3 eggs
- 1½ cups Panko breadcrumbs
- 1½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1½ tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- ¼ tsp. salt and pepper adjust to taste
- olive oil spray
- Wipe any excess dirt from one 8 oz. package of 'Baby Bella' Portobello mushrooms using a towel. Cut each mushroom into quarters and then cut each piece in half again (each mushroom will equal 8 pieces).
- Pour ½ cup flour onto a plate. Whisk 3 eggs in a bowl. Pour 1½ cups Panko breadcrumbs into a bowl. Add the garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Stir until completely combined.Toss the chopped mushrooms in the flour until coated, then dunk the mushrooms in the eggs, and finally toss them in the spiced breadcrumb mixture until completely coated. Repeat with the remainder of the mushrooms.
- Arrange the mushrooms on a plate or flat surface. Spray lightly with a can of olive oil. Turn the Air Fryer 'On'. Set to 360°F and 7 minutes. Arrange ⅓ of the mushrooms in the Air Fryer basket. (Make sure the mushrooms are not over-crowded). Push the basket into the fryer and cook for 7 minutes.
- Remove the mushrooms from the fryer when fully cooked. Repeat with the other two batches of mushrooms. Sprinkle with a little more salt after removing from the fryer.Serve immediately. Can be enjoyed alone or with any variety of dipping sauces.
Photography by Christine Rooney