Foil Pack Potatoes are so easy to make on the grill or in your oven! Combine baby potatoes with olive oil, herbs, garlic, and butter in a foil pack, and you have an effortless side dish done in a snap.
The best part about these easy grilled potatoes in foil is that you can make them on the grill or in the oven with only 5 minutes of prep. Coated with a buttery herb and garlic dressing, foil pack potatoes are delicious with all your favorite summer grilling recipes. Everyone will ask for seconds!
🍽 What do I need to make foil pack potatoes?
To make this packed potatoes recipe, you will need:
- Aluminum foil
- A grill or your oven
- Knife to cut potatoes
Grilling potatoes really brings out their best flavor. I love grilled potato recipes, and these garlic herb potatoes are easily one of my favorites.
But, my favorite part about this foil packet potatoes recipe is that you can cook it either on the grill or in the oven. It’s an easy side dish recipe you can make year-round!
🥔 Garlic Herb Potatoes Ingredients
I love that these BBQ potatoes in foil hardly require any ingredients. It’s just the potatoes, olive oil, and an herbed garlic butter sauce that brings everything together. You will need:
- Baby potatoes
- Olive oil
- Dried rosemary
- Fresh or dried thyme
- Garlic cloves
- Sea salt
- Fresh parsley
The smell of these roasted potatoes on the grill will hit you before you even have a chance to catch a glimpse of them!
Rosemary and garlic butter sauce in foil, roasting with baby potatoes… once you unwrap these foil packet potatoes, it’s all over. It’s just a matter of seconds before they disappear.
🔥 How to Make Potatoes on the Grill with Foil
- Preheat grill to medium. Chop baby potatoes into bite sized pieces then place in a bowl and mix with oil, seasoning, whole garlic cloves and dried rosemary.
- Transfer the potatoes to a piece of foil around 28 inches in length. Bunch the potatoes in the middle of the foil, and place 3 sprigs of thyme or 3 teaspoons of dried thyme on top and 1 Tbsp. of cubed butter.
- Bring the edges of the foil together and wrap.
- How long to cook potatoes on the grill: Grill 40 minutes, then remove from the grill and open up the foil. Remove the thyme and add in more butter and seasoning, then return to the grill with the foil open and cook for another 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Top with parsley (optional) and enjoy!
Family Foodie Tip: Always use heavy-duty aluminum foil when cooking on the grill.
🔥 How to Roast Foil Pack Potatoes in the Oven
Foil packet recipes are perfect for oven cooking! There is no need to prepare anything differently. Simply prepare the potatoes as instructed above, and then bake according to the following instructions.
How long to roast foil pack potatoes in the oven:
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Prepare the potatoes according to the instructions above.
- Place the foil packet potatoes on a tray, then add them to your oven. Roast potatoes in the oven for 40 minutes, then remove and open the foil.
- Remove the thyme, add in more butter and seasoning, then return to the oven with the foil open. Cook for another 15 minutes or until golden brown, just like you would when making diced potatoes on the grill in foil.
- Serve, and enjoy!
Roasting potatoes in the oven or on the grill in a foil pack adds so much flavor. You will love the incredible taste of the garlic herb butter on these potatoes no matter which way you prepare them.
🧀 Toppings for BBQ Potatoes in Foil
- sour cream
- blue cheese dressing
- peri peri sauce
- sautéed mushrooms and onions
- roasted vegetables
- your favorite shredded cheese
You can top potatoes grilled in foil with just about anything. I LOVE to pair roasted potatoes with peri peri sauce! It reminds me of one of my favorite recipes, Portuguese Potatoes and Chorizo (which you should totally try!).
Sauteed mushrooms and onions are a delicious choice, too. Sweet and earthy caramelized onions and mushrooms with herby, garlicky foil packet potatoes – what could be better? It’s a perfect match! Garlic Butter White Button Mushrooms are just as tasty.
And of course, potatoes with cheese are always a hit. Try topping with your favorite shredded cheese, blue cheese dressing, or a homemade cheese sauce.
🥗 What to Serve with Foil Potatoes
Whether you’re making these baby potatoes on the grill or in the oven, they pair well with so many dishes! They’re perfect for everything from a casual dinner to pairing with side dishes for the holidays.
Pairing with our other foil pack recipes is always a perfect choice:
- Foil Pack Salmon
- Steak Foil Packs
- Foil Pack Shrimp
- How to Grill Corn on the Cob in Foil 🌽
- Porterhouse Steak with Foil Pack Green Beans
- Picanha Steak (Sirloin Cap)
- Beef Short Ribs
- Portuguese Beef Skewers (Espetada Madeira)
- Crab Legs with Garlic Butter
- Tender Grilled Pork Butt Recipe
- Lamb Chops Recipe with Rosemary
This potato foil packet recipe goes perfectly with other roasted veggies, too. These are some of our top choices:
If you’re making oven foil potatoes, try pairing them with these easy family dinner ideas:
- Chicken Breast and Mushroom Recipe
- Pork Chops with Mushroom Gravy
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwich Recipe
- Portuguese Peri Peri Chicken
- Chicken and Mushroom Pie
📌 Pin it for later!Did you enjoy this page? Save it on Pinterest for later!
Save the Video Pin
These potatoes are also great with a lighter salad option like fresh vegetable salad, or even just on their own.
Next time you’re having a barbecue, make sure you get a pack of these on the grill!
📖 More Simple Side Dishes
- Air Fryer Mushrooms
- Gluten Free Au Gratin Potatoes
- German Potato Salad
- Spanish Potato Salad
- Irish Mashed Potatoes
Foil Pack Potatoes on the Grill or Oven
- Grill or oven
- Aluminum foil
- 1.5 lbs. Baby potatoes chopped into bite size pieces
- 1/2 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. Dried rosemary
- 3 Sprigs fresh thyme or 3 teaspoons of dried
- 7 Whole garlic cloves or 2 tablespoons of powdered garlic (no need to peel)
- Pinch Sea salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 4 tsp. Fresh parsley (optional)
- Preheat the grill to medium, or oven to 400°F. Cut 1.5 lbs. baby potatoes into bite sized pieces, then place in a bowl and mix with 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil, 1 Tbsp. dried rosemary, a pinch of sea salt and pepper, and 7 whole garlic cloves or powdered garlic.
- Transfer the potatoes to a piece of foil, around 28 inches in length. Bunch the potatoes in the middle of the foil. Place 3 sprigs of thyme or dried thyme and 1 Tbsp. cubed butter on top of the potatoes.Bring the edges of the foil together and wrap, tightly sealing all the way around. If the foil isn’t long enough to wrap properly, then double wrap with second piece of foil in the opposite direction.
- Place the foil directly onto the grill or, if roasting, place on a tray before putting in the oven.Grill or roast for 40 minutes, then remove from the grill or oven and open up the foil. Remove the thyme and add in the rest of the butter and season again, then return to the grill or oven with the foil open and cook for a further 15 minutes or until golden brown.Top with parsley (optional) , and enjoy!
Photography by Debbie Jones.