Grilled potatoes in Foil are so easy to make and packed with flavor! Simply combine baby potatoes with olive oil, herbs, garlic and butter – your effortless side dish is done in a snap.
Foil pack potatoes are grilled on the barbecue or roasted in the oven with a buttery herb and garlic dressing. Crack open these herb roasted potatoes alongside your favorite summer grilling recipes and everyone will want the recipe!
Potato Foil Packs
The smell of this roasted potatoes on the grill will hit you way before you’ve even caught a glimpse of them. Theres no holding back the aroma of dried rosemary slowly baking away whilst nestled in foil with garlic and butter. Once the foil is unwrapped, it’s usually a matter of seconds before these garlic herb potatoes are all gone.
Roasting or grilling potatoes and veggies really brings out their best flavor, and there are so many easy ways of doing this. Honey glazed carrots and parsnips cooked on a tray in the oven until perfectly caramelized by the heat, perfect for Sunday dinner or even as a buffet menu idea. Roasted cauliflower is another popular choice. This roasted cauliflower salad is one you could easily add to your list of party foods, or to make your working lunch a little more interesting.
Ingredients for Foil Pack Potatoes
You need just a few simple ingredients to make these grilled potatoes:
- Baby potatoes
- Olive oil
- Dried rosemary
- Fresh thyme
- Whole garlic cloves
- Sea salt
- Fresh parsley
How to Grill Potatoes in Foil
- Preheat grill to medium or oven to 400°F. Chop potatoes into bite sized pieces then place in a bowl and mix with oil, seasoning, whole garlic cloves and dried rosemary.
- Transfer the potatoes to a piece of foil, around 28″ (70cm) in length. Bunch the potatoes in the middle of the foil, and place 3 sprigs on top of thyme and 1 Tbsp. of cubed butter.
- Bring the edges of the foil together and wrap.
- How long to cook potatoes on the grill: Grill 40 minutes, then remove from the grill and open up the foil. Remove the thyme and add in more butter and seasoning, then return to the grill with the foil open and cook for another 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Top with parsley and enjoy!
Can I cook foil packets in the oven?
Yes, foil packets are perfect for oven cooking! There’s no need to prepare anything differently, just place the foil pack on a tray before putting it in the oven. You can even make foil pack shrimp or foil pack salmon in the oven!
Roasting potatoes in the oven or on the grill in a foil pack adds so much flavor! You will love the incredible flavor of the garlic herb butter on these potatoes no matter which way you prepare them.
How long to roast foil pack potatoes in the oven: Roast Potatoes in the oven for 40 minutes, then remove from the oven and open up the foil. Remove the thyme and add in more butter and seasoning, then return to the oven with the foil open and cook for another 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Foil pack potato toppings
- sour cream
- blue cheese dressing
- peri peri sauce
- sautéed mushrooms and onions
- Roasted Vegetables
- Your favorite shredded cheese
Basically potatoes grilled in foil can be topped with almost anything you love!
What to serve with Foil Pack Potatoes
More foil packet recipes of course!
Foil pack potatoes are the perfect side dish for any protein and will go well with almost any meal. If you are grilling, then definitely pair this recipe up with a grilled porterhouse steak or grilled chuck steak with compound butter.
These potatoes are also great with a lighter salad option like fresh vegetable salad, or even just on their own. Next time you’re having a barbecue make sure you get a pack of these on the grill!
Love simple side dishes like these grilled potatoes?
Try these easy sides…
- Button Mushrooms Recipe
- Air Fryer Mushrooms
- Gluten Free Au Gratin Potatoes
- Authentic German Potato Salad
- Spanish Potato Salad
- Garlic Parmesan Roasted Carrots
- Irish Mashed Potatoes
- Foil Pack French Onion Green Beans and Grilled Porterhouse Steak
Foil pack potatoes🖨 Print 📌 Pin 📝 Comment
- 1.5 lbs Baby potatoes (chopped into bite size pieces)
- 1/2 Tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. Dried rosemary
- 3 Sprigs fresh thyme
- 7 Whole garlic cloves ((no need to peel))
- Pinch Sea salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 4 tsp. Fresh parsley
- Preheat the grill to medium, or oven to 400°F. Chop the potatoes into bite sized pieces then place in a bowl and mix with oil, seasoning, whole garlic cloves and dried rosemary.
- Transfer the potatoes to a piece of foil, around 28" (70cm) in length. Bunch the potatoes in the middle of the foil. Place 3 sprigs of thyme and 1 Tbsp. cubed butter on top of the potatoes.
- Bring the edges of the foil together and wrap, ensuring a tight seal all around. If the width of the foil isn’t long enough to wrap properly, then double wrap with second piece of foil in the opposite direction.
- Place the foil directly onto the grill or, if roasting, place on a tray before putting in the oven.
- Grill or roast for 40 minutes, then remove from the grill or oven and open up the foil. Remove the thyme and add in the rest of the butter and season again. Then return to the grill or oven with the foil open and cook for a further 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Top with parsley and enjoy!
Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
Get free recipes delivered to your inbox every week!
Thank you for joining the Sunday Supper family!
Something went wrong.