What could be better than an easy to make meal with minimal clean up? That’s exactly what you get with this steak foil pack! You can make this deliciously easy foil pack dinner on the grill or in the oven, and it’s simple to change up, too!
There are always nights when you need a quick and easy dinner, but don’t want to skimp on flavor. Foil pack recipes like this steak foil pack are perfect for those nights.
This is essentially a steak and potatoes recipe, but all cooked together in foil with added flavors mixed in. You can add what you like, but here we’ve gone slightly Spanish in flavors with pepper and onions, paprika and garlic.
Steak Foil Pack Ingredients
To make this foil pack dinner, you need just a few simple ingredients:
- Red pepper
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Lemon juice
What kind of steak is best to cook in a foil packet?
Since this foil pack dinner cooks relatively quickly and has minimal additions, you are best off choosing a good quality steak with a good flavor.
The best options are top sirloin steak or ribeye, as both have good marbling and flavor.
How to Cook Steak in Foil Packs
You can easily make this foil pack recipe on the grill or in the oven by following these instructions:
- Dice the steak into roughly 2 inch pieces.
- Dice the potatoes into smaller than 1 inch pieces and the pepper and onion into a similar size.
- Pre-cook the potatoes either by boiling or in the microwave, until just cooked (boiled around 5min on stove top, or 2min in microwave in a dish with some water).
- Mix together the oil, garlic, paprika, thyme, salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Toss the steak, potatoes, onions and peppers in the oil mixture.
- Cut foil squares large enough to hold and fold over the steak and potatoes mixture, then divide the mixture evenly between them.
- Seal up the foil packs and either cook on the grill around 10 min, or in oven at 425°F around 20 min.
- Open up the pack and finish the steak either directly on grill or the whole pack under the broiler for a couple minutes to brown.
- Serve directly in the foil pack.
What to Serve with a Steak Foil Pack
Since these steak foil packs are cooked with vegetables, they don’t particularly need anything else to go with them. However, if you want to make it a fuller meal you could serve a salad like this Fresh Vegetable Salad with Creamy Balsamic Dressing or Grilled Peaches Salad on the side, or try one of these Side Dishes for BBQ.
Alternatively, you can add additional vegetables in with the pack such as mushrooms (halved or smaller, if big), or slices of zucchini. Or, cook the mushrooms separately and add them later, like these Sautéed Mushrooms and Onions or this Button Mushrooms Recipe.
This steak foil pack is easy to put together, perfect as both a summer grilling recipe or for cooler days in the oven. It’s one of our favorite foil pack dinners, being full of great flavors with easily adaptable ingredients to suit your taste and what you have on hand. Easy prep, easy clean up, and a tasty meal. What more could you need?!
Looking for more foil pack dinners and easy one pot recipes?
Try some of our favorite one pot dinner recipes and foil packs:
- Easy Pad Thai Recipe
- Spicy Sausage Pasta Skillet
- Foil Pack Salmon
- One Pot Chicken Orzo Pasta
- One Pot Chili Mac and Cheese
- Pork Chops with Mushroom Gravy
- Grilled Porterhouse Steak with Foil Pack Green Beans
- Easy Paella Recipe with Beef and Shrimp
Take a look at some of our summer grilling recipes, too! We think you’ll love these:
- Bison Burger Recipe
- Mushroom Swiss Burger
- Loaded Burger with Asparagus and Bacon
- Poached Egg Burger with Caramelized Onions
Steak foil pack is an easy meal with minimal clean up! You can make this foil pack dinner on the grill or in the oven, and it's simple to change up, too.
- 1 1/2 lb steak eg top sirloin, ribeye
- 1 lb potatoes
- 1 red pepper
- 1 onion (small)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic (approx 2 tsp, crushed)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp lemon juice
Cut the steak into roughly 2 inch dice.
Cut the potatoes into dice smaller than 1 inch and the pepper and onion into a similar size.
Pre-cook the potatoes either boiling or in the microwave until just cooked (boiled around 5min or 2min in microwave in a dish with some water).
Mix together the oil, garlic, paprika, thyme, salt, pepper and lemon juice.
Toss the steak, potatoes, onion and pepper in the oil mixture.
Cut foil squares and divide the steak and vegetable mixture evenly between them.
Seal up the foil packs and either cook on the grill around 10 min or in oven at 425F around 20 min.
Open up the pack and finish the steak either directly on grill or the whole pack under the broiler for a couple minutes to brown.
Serve directly in the foil pack.
- You can mix this recipe up however you would like. Try serving it with a shrimp foil pack for an easy surf and turf recipe or cook your potatoes separately, as in our foil pack potatoes recipe.
The Sunday Supper Movement is committed to bringing our readers delicious recipes that encourage them to gather and eat together around the family table. Search for your favorite ingredients on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Sunday Supper Pinterest boards for plenty more ideas and inspiration.