What could be better than an easy to make a meal with minimal cleanup? That’s exactly what you get with steak foil packets!
You can make this deliciously easy foil pack dinner filled with steak and veggies on the grill or in the oven. It’s super simple to change up, too! Perfect for a family dinner or a backyard BBQ!
There are always nights when you need a quick and easy dinner, but don’t want to skimp on flavor. Oven foil packs are perfect for those nights.
Our steak foil packets are essentially a steak and potatoes recipe, but all cooked together in foil with added flavors mixed in. You can add whatever you would like to these easy foil packets.
We’ve gone slightly Spanish in flavors with pepper and onions, paprika and garlic and are loving the delicious flavor it creates.
Steak Foil Pack Ingredients
To make this foil pack dinner, you need just a few simple ingredients:
- Red pepper
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Lemon juice
Easy steak recipe tip: steak foil packets are delicious when they are made with our easy garlic butter sauce. Three ingredients and boom you’ve have an easy peasy meal with amazing flavor!
What kind of steak is best to cook in a foil pack?
Since this foil pack dinner cooks relatively quickly and has minimal additions, you are best off choosing a good quality steak with a good flavor.
The best options are top sirloin steak or ribeye steak, as both have good marbling and flavor.
How to Cook Steak in Foil Packets
You can easily make this foil pack recipe on the grill or in the oven by following these instructions:
- Dice the steak into roughly 2-inch pieces.
- Dice the potatoes into smaller than 1-inch pieces and the pepper and onion into a similar size.
- Pre-cook the potatoes either by boiling or in the microwave, until just cooked (boiled around 5min on the stovetop, or 2min in the microwave in a dish with some water).
- Mix together the oil, garlic, paprika, thyme, salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
- Toss the steak, potatoes, onions, and peppers in the oil mixture.
- Cut foil squares large enough to hold and fold over the steak and potatoes mixture, then divide the mixture evenly between them.
- Seal up the foil packs and either cook on the grill around 10 min or in the oven at 425°F around 20 min.
- Open up the pack and finish the steak either directly on the grill or the whole pack under the broiler for a couple of minutes to brown.
- Serve directly in the foil pack.
What to Serve with a Steak Foil Pack
Since our steak foil pack oven recipe is cooked with vegetables, they don’t particularly need anything else to go with them. However, if you want to make it a fuller meal you could serve a salad like this Fresh Vegetable Salad with Creamy Balsamic Dressing or Grilled Peaches Salad on the side, or try one of these Side Dishes for BBQ.
Alternatively, you can add additional vegetables in with the pack such as mushrooms (halved or smaller, if big), or slices of zucchini. Or, cook the mushrooms separately and add them later, like these Sautéed Mushrooms and Onions or this Button Mushrooms Recipe.
Our steak foil pack on the grill is easy to put together, perfect as both a summer grilling recipe or for cooler days in the oven. It’s one of our favorite foil pack dinners, being full of great flavors with easily adaptable ingredients to suit your taste and what you have on hand. Easy prep, easy clean up, and recipes with steak are always so delicious.
Looking for more foil pack dinners and easy one-pot recipes?
Try some of our favorite one-pot dinner recipes and foil packs:
- Easy Pad Thai Recipe
- Spicy Sausage Pasta Skillet
- Foil Pack Salmon
- One Pot Chicken Orzo Pasta
- One Pot Chili Mac and Cheese
- Pork Chops with Mushroom Gravy
- Grilled Porterhouse Steak with Foil Pack Green Beans
- Easy Paella Recipe with Beef and Shrimp
Take a look at some of our summer grilling recipes, too! We think you’ll love these:
- Elote Recipe (Elotes Mexicanos)
- Bison Burger Recipe
- Mushroom Swiss Burger
- Loaded Burger with Asparagus and Bacon
- Poached Egg Burger with Caramelized Onions
You know we love Sunday Supper, check out some of our favorite Sunday Dinner Recipes too.
Steak Foil Pack🖨 Print 📌 Pin 📝 Comment
- 1 1/2 lb steak (eg top sirloin, ribeye)
- 1 lb potatoes
- 1 red pepper
- 1 onion ((small))
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic ((approx 2 tsp, crushed))
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Cut the steak into roughly 2 inch dice.
- Cut the potatoes into dice smaller than 1 inch and the pepper and onion into a similar size.
- Pre-cook the potatoes either boiling or in the microwave until just cooked (boiled around 5min or 2min in microwave in a dish with some water).
- Mix together the oil, garlic, paprika, thyme, salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Toss the steak, potatoes, onion and pepper in the oil mixture.
- Cut foil squares and divide the steak and vegetable mixture evenly between them.
- Seal up the foil packs and either cook on the grill around 10 min or in oven at 425F around 20 min.
- Open up the pack and finish the steak either directly on grill or the whole pack under the broiler for a couple minutes to brown.
- Serve directly in the foil pack.
- You can mix this recipe up however you would like. Try serving it with a shrimp foil pack for an easy surf and turf recipe or cook your potatoes separately, as in our foil pack potatoes recipe.
This post was updated on 10/10/2019.
Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
Get free recipes delivered to your inbox every week!
Thank you for joining the Sunday Supper family!
Something went wrong.