We know the secret to peeling peaches! Learn how to peel peaches the easy way, with no fuss and no mess, in this easy guide on peeling peaches. Peach recipes are perfect for summertime, and using fresh peaches when they are in season for your favorite peach recipes is always a sweet treat. By learning how to peel peaches the easy way, you can avoid the mess and enjoy sweet peach recipes all season long!
Trouble peeling peaches?
It can be a challenge to peel peaches with a knife like you would an apple. But, if you are going to make peach preserves, peach cobbler, or peach pie, peeling peaches is essential. Thankfully, once you learn how to peel peaches the easy way, it’s a trick you can count on again and again, so you can make your favorite peach recipes any time!
How to Shop for Peaches
Before you can get to peeling peaches, you need to make sure you have the ideal fresh peaches to peel. Be sure to start with fresh, ripe peaches. Look for peaches that feel heavy for their size, have a bit of give (not too firm), and smell like peaches. Peaches ripen after picking, so if you are going to be peeling peaches, we recommend buying them shortly before using them. For more information on how to pick the perfect peach, visit our article on Facts About Peaches.
Blanching Peaches to Peel Them
- Slotted spoon
- Large pot
- Large bowl
- 4 peaches or however many you wish to peel
- pot of water for boiling
- bowl of ice water for blanching
- Boiling water: Bring a pot of water to a boil. I recommend blanching peaches 3 or 4 at a time. Fill the pot with enough water to submerge the peaches. Remember to account for displacement. When you add the peaches you don’t want the water to spill over the top of the pot!
- Scoring peaches: While the water is coming to a boil, use a sharp paring knife and carefully score the bottom of each peach by making a shallow ‘x’ through the skin at the base of each peach.
- Blanching peaches: Using a slotted spoon, carefully lower the peaches into the boiling water one at a time. Leave the peaches in the boiling water for 30-40 seconds and up to a minute if the peaches are more firm.
- Ice water bath: Remove the peaches from the boiling water using a slotted spoon and transfer them to a bowl full of ice water. Allow the peaches to cool for about 30 seconds to a minute until they are cool enough to handle.
- Peeling peaches: Starting at the base end where you scored each peach, use your fingers to gently peel away the skin of the peach.
That’s how to peel peaches the easy way! Simple, right? Now you have the perfect peaches for baking with peaches, canning peaches, making peach preserves, or even freezing peach slices to preserve for smoothies, oatmeal.
Learn how to freeze peaches perfectly so you can enjoy delicious peach recipes all year long!
Check out some of our Easy Peach Recipes
- Asian Peach Glazed Chicken
- Healthy Peach Bread
- Grilled Peaches Salad
- Moscato Sangria
- Citrus Peach Sangria
📌 Pin How To Peel Peaches the Easy Way to save for later!
This post was updated on 9/11/2019.
Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
Get free recipes delivered to your inbox every week!
Thank you for joining the Sunday Supper family!
Something went wrong.