Sunday Supper is an Amazon Associate and may receive compensation for purchases made through affiliate links.
Our Mexican Lasagna with Tortillas is by far the best taco bake recipe you will ever taste! It is a drool-worthy dish using ground beef, chiles, Mexican cheese, taco seasoning, and corn tortillas.
Best Mexican Lasagna
If you love Mexican cuisine, you are going to fall head-over-heels for this tortilla lasagna. Trust me! This is by far my family’s favorite. They request it time and time again!
This make-ahead Mexican casserole with tortillas is super easy to make and perfect for back to school dinners and meal planning on a budget. Even picky eaters can’t resist this taco bake using tortillas.
Even better, it’s ready in 1 hour and freezes well!
Unlike a traditional lasagna recipe, tortilla lasagna requires very little prep. Plus, because it calls for corn tortillas, you can enjoy this recipe on a gluten-free diet. That’s right – it’s a gluten-free lasagna!
Salsa Sauce for Beef Taco Lasagna
When we make this Mexican tortilla recipe, we use medium heat salsa. But, if your family prefers less spice, mild salsa works perfectly.
- To make this a true gluten-free recipe, look for gluten-free taco seasoning. McCormick makes a gluten free taco seasoning perfect for this recipe.
- Check the enchilada sauce you’re using to make sure it’s gluten-free. Old El Paso enchilada sauce is naturally gluten-free.
- Make sure you’re using gluten-free tortillas. While corn tortillas are naturally gluten-free, double check the packaging to make sure they weren’t processed with products containing gluten. It’s always good to check!
🥬 Make it Vegetarian
You can easily make this lasagna vegetarian by substituting the beef for zucchini and peppers.
The possibilities are endless. Have fun, add some beans, some spinach and make this Mexican lasagna recipe your own!
⭐ Family Foodie Tips
- You can use frozen corn kernels to make this easy lasagna recipe, or you can use leftover corn from one of our corn recipes!
- Add a little extra spice to the dish with jalapenos.
- When browning the ground beef, try not to stir it around too much in the pan. To really let it brown, it needs to have the time to stick to the pan. Break it up as you go along, but otherwise, leave it alone.
- I add additional corn to the meat mixture after browning to put my own spin on things. To finish it off, I sprinkle it with green onions and fresh tomatoes. This give it a deliciously fresh flavor!
👪 Serving Size
This Mexican Lasagna recipe makes enough for 8-10 servings.
To feed just 4, halve the recipe ingredients and bake in a smaller dish. I recommend using 4 tortillas for the bottom layer.
You can bake right in a cast iron skillet like our cast iron skillet lasagna, or use a smaller square pan instead.
📃 Substitutions and Additions
Yes, you can! Mixing things up is easy to do with this Mexican lasagna recipe.
It’s basically a taco bake with tortillas, so there are a few ways you can experiment with this recipe:
- Add some spice. Use diced jalapeno to add a little spice to this recipe!
- Change the protein. Ground beef is our favorite, but you could also try chicken, turkey, or your preferred vegetarian substitute.
- Try new toppings. Try other taco toppings for this taco lasagna, like guacamole, sour cream, or cilantro. All the best taco toppings pair well with this recipe! Just take a look at what we put on our Pulled Pork Tacos.
⌚ Can you make this dish ahead of time?
Yes! One of the best parts about making this Mexican lasagna for dinner is that you can easily prepare it ahead of time. It’s perfect for meal planning.
- Prepare the layer of ground beef, taco seasoning, water, and green onions, then refrigerate until ready to assemble.
- Add the corn and salsa, then simply assemble the Mexican lasagna with tortillas and bake as directed.
❄ Can you freeze Mexican lasagna?
Yes! You can divide this recipe between 2 smaller casserole dishes and enjoy one and freeze the other, or freeze the whole lasagna.
Freeze the uncooked taco bake, then defrost in the refrigerator and pop it in the oven.
Or, bake it straight from frozen by adding an additional 10-15 minutes of baking time.
🔥 How to Reheat
You can reheat this Mexican lasagna recipe in the oven or in the microwave, whichever you prefer.
In the Oven
- To reheat it in the oven, transfer to an oven-safe dish (if you removed it from its original baking dish), and cover it with foil.
- After preheating the oven, bake at about 325°F for around 20 minutes or until heated through.
In the Microwave
- If you want to reheat a smaller portion in the microwave, simply add your taco lasagna to a microwave-safe container and heat it on HIGH for one to two minutes, or until heated through.
One of the many wonderful things about Mexican recipes is that you’ll enjoy it even more the second time around!
🥗 What to Serve with Lasagna
- Perfect Rice or Instant Pot White Rice are a perfect side.
- Grilled Corn on the Cob for extra corn. This grilled corn is delicious!
- Chicken Taquitos make a great appetizer!
- Fresas con Crema for dessert – Mexican strawberries & cream recipe
For fun drink recipes, try serving:
📖 Easy Mexican Recipes
- Carne Asada
- Easy Mexican Dip Recipe
- Mexican Rice Bowl with Shrimp
- Vegetarian Enchiladas Recipe
- Instant Pot Mexican Chicken and Rice Soup
- Chilaquiles con Rojos (Mexican breakfast skillet)
📖 Homemade Lasagna Recipes
📌 Pin it for later!Did you enjoy this page? Save it on Pinterest for later!
Save the Video Pin
We would love to know what you think about this dish. It is easily our favorite taco casserole! Leave a comment below with a rating to let us know what you think.
Check out our Mexican Lasagna Web Story!
Mexican Lasagna with Corn Tortillas
- 2 pounds ground chuck cooked and drained – see note 1
- 1.25 ounce taco seasoning packet
- ¾ cup water
- 1 cup green onions chopped
- 1 cup corn kernels thawed
- 16 ounce salsa your choice
- 12 corn tortillas 6 inch tortillas
- 20 ounces hatch chiles five 4 oz. cans, diced
- 1 pound Mexican Blend cheese grated
- 10 ounce enchilada sauce mild
- Chopped green onions and fresh tomatoes for garnish, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350°F.Heat a pan greased with cooking oil over medium heat.When the pan is hot and shimmering, add ground beef and break it into pieces using a wooden spoon or spatula.Let it begin to brown, and then break the beef into smaller pieces. Cook until all beef is broken up and browned.
- Combine cooked ground beef with taco seasoning, water, and green onions. Stir in salsa and corn until well-combined.
- Spray a 9” x 13” pan with non-stick spray. Begin layering lasagna by placing a layer of tortillas along the bottom.
- Top with ⅓ of the diced hatch chiles, ground beef mixture, Mexican cheese blend, and enchilada sauce.
- Repeat layers twice in that order, topping it all off with cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350°F for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Allow taco lasagna to sit, loosely covered, for 10-15 minutes before serving. Top with chopped green onions and fresh diced tomatoes, if desired. Serve, and enjoy!
- Make-ahead Tip: Prepare the beef layer of ground beef, taco seasoning, water, and green onions, then refrigerate until ready to assemble. Add the corn and salsa, then simply assemble the Mexican lasagna and bake as directed.
- We recommend using Certified Angus Beef ® brand ground chuck for best results.