You are in for a treat when you try our Mexican Lasagna with Corn Tortillas! It is by far the best tasting South of the Border recipe we have ever tasted! A drool worthy dish using ground beef, diced hatch chiles, a Mexican cheese blend, taco seasoning and, of course, corn tortillas!
This is the perfect make ahead Mexican lasagna for back to school dinners and meal planning on a budget. Our taco casserole is also perfect to make ahead for parties or team meals!
Gluten Free Mexican Lasagna
Lasagna is one of the best kid friendly dinner ideas for weekly meal plans on a budget. Even picky eaters can’t resist this Taco Bake using tortillas! Plus, because it calls for corn tortillas, this is a gluten free lasagna.
The best part is, making lasagna is easy when you’re using corn tortillas. Unlike a traditional lasagna recipe, Mexican lasagna requires very little prep. Tortillas make layering lasagna easy!
If it’s important you keep this a gluten free Mexican lasagna, we have some additional tips for you:
- Look for gluten free taco seasoning. McCormick makes a gluten free taco seasoning perfect for this recipe.
- Check the enchilada sauce you’re using to make sure it’s gluten free. Old El Paso enchilada sauce is naturally gluten free.
- Make sure you’re using gluten free tortillas. While corn tortillas are naturally gluten free, double check the packaging to make sure.
Salsa Sauce for Taco Lasagna
Instead of Italian tomato sauce in a traditional lasagna recipe, our Mexican tortilla recipe uses salsa sauce! With so many salsa brands to choose from, you can pick your favorite to use for tortilla lasagna, and it is guaranteed to be delicious.
When we make this Mexican lasagna with corn tortillas, we use medium heat salsa. But, if your family prefers less spice, mild salsa works perfectly. Really, you can use any type of salsa you enjoy the most. Mexican salsa brands like Chi-Chis, La Victoria, or Herdez are great choices for this Mexican lasagna, but you may also enjoy brands like Tostitos or Newman’s Own.
What ingredients do I need to make Mexican Lasagna with tortillas?
Taco lasagna is one of our favorite family dinner ideas because it uses just a few, simple ingredients and is perfect for meal planning on a budget.
- 2 lbs. ground chuck, cooked and drained; we highly recommend Certified Angus Beef® brand
- 1.25 oz. taco seasoning packet
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup green onions chopped
- 1 cup corn kernels thawed
- 16 oz. salsa, your favorite brand
- 12 corn tortillas 6-inch size
- 20 oz. hatch chiles (five 4-ounce cans), mild and diced
- 1 lb. Mexican Blend cheese, grated
- 10 oz. mild enchilada sauce
- Chopped green onions and fresh tomatoes for garnish, if desired.
How to Make Taco Lasagna
Making Mexican lasagna is much easier than a traditional lasagna recipe. Layering lasagna is a simple task with tortillas! Follow these simple steps for an easy Mexican lasagna your family will ask for again and again:
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook ground beef according to package instructions.
- Combine cooked ground beef with taco seasoning, water, and green onions. Stir in salsa and corn.
- Spray a 9” x 13” pan with nonstick spray. Begin layering lasagna by placing a layer of tortillas along the bottom. Top with a third of the diced hatch chiles, ground beef mixture, Mexican cheese blend, and enchilada sauce. Repeat layers twice and top it off with cheese. Cover with foil and bake at 350°F for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Allow taco lasagna to sit, loosely covered, for 10-15 minutes before serving. Top with chopped green onions and fresh diced tomatoes, if desired.
RECIPE TIPS: In this corn tortilla recipe, I add additional corn to the meat mixture after browning to put my own spin on things. To finish it off, I sprinkle the baked Mexican lasagna with green onions and fresh tomatoes. For a complete meal, serve with a fresh vegetable salad and an easy-to-make Carlota de Limon (Charlotte Russe Dessert). You adults may also love this recipe with a glass of Moscato Sangria!
Can I make changes to this taco lasagna recipe?
Want to mix things up? That’s easy to do with this Mexican lasagna recipe. It’s basically a taco bake with tortillas, so mixing things up is simple. Here are a few ways you can experiment with this recipe:
- Add some spice: Use diced jalapeno to add a little spice to this recipe!
- Change the protein: Ground beef is our favorite, but you could also try chicken, turkey, or your preferred vegetarian substitute.
- Try new toppings: Try other taco toppings for this taco lasagna, like guacamole, sour cream, or cilantro. All the best taco toppings pair well with this recipe!
Can you make Mexican lasagna ahead of time?
One of the best parts about making this Mexican lasagna for dinner is that you can easily prepare it ahead of time, making it perfect for meal planning. Hands down, this is one of our favorite easy weeknight meals on a budget, and we’re sure you’ll agree once you try it out!
MAKE AHEAD TIP: Prepare the beef layer of ground beef, taco seasoning, water, and green onions, then refrigerate until ready to assemble. Add the corn and salsa, then simply assemble the Mexican lasagna and bake as directed.
Can I reheat taco lasagna with tortillas?
Yes, absolutely! You can reheat Mexican lasagna in the oven or in the microwave, whichever you prefer. We have some tips for both.
How to reheat Mexican lasagna in the oven: To reheat it in the oven, transfer the taco lasagna to an oven-safe dish (if you removed it from its original baking dish), and cover it with foil. After preheating the oven, bake at about 325°F for around 20 minutes or until heated through.
How to reheat Mexican lasagna in the microwave: If you want to reheat a smaller portion in the microwave, simply add your taco lasagna to a microwave-safe container and heat it on HIGH for one to two minutes, or until heated through.
One of the many wonderful things about Mexican recipes is that you’ll enjoy it even more the second time around!
What side dishes go with Mexican lasagna?
Mexican lasagna with corn tortillas is one of our favorite Cinco de Mayo recipes, and we love to pair it with dishes that complement its flavor! To keep things simple, a Mexican rice recipe or Mexican beans would pair perfectly with this dish. Other traditional Mexican side dishes include summer squash recipes and Elote corn.
You could also try pairing it with Homemade Rice-a-Roni or even serve alongside Southwest Egg Rolls. Everyone at the table will appreciate one of these Key Lime Pie Squares or the Carlota de Limón linked above for dessert.
Try more easy Mexican recipes!
For more of our favorite easy Mexican dishes try these:
- Authentic Carne Asada Recipe
- Mexican Rice Bowl with Shrimp
- Vegetarian Enchiladas Recipe
- Instant Pot Mexican Chicken and Rice Soup
- Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas Verde
- Ground Pork Carnitas Tacos
- Puerto Rican Baked Empanadas
- Chilaquiles Rojos Mexican Skillet
- Chorizo Cheese Dip with Spinach
Our Favorite Homemade Lasagna Recipes:
- Lasagna for Two
- Slow Cooker Lasagna
- Cast Iron Skillet Lasagna
- Healthier Make Ahead Lasagna Freezer Meal
We would love to know what you think about this Mexican lasagna. It is easily one of our favorite taco casseroles! Do you have favorite recipes using corn tortillas or other Sunday Dinner Recipes? Leave a comment below to let us know what you think!
Mexican Lasagna with Corn Tortillas
- 2 pounds Ground chuck (cooked and drained – see note 1)
- 1.25 ounce taco seasoning packet
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup green onions (chopped)
- 1 cup corn kernels (thawed)
- 16 ounce salsa (your choice)
- 12 corn tortillas (6 inch tortillas)
- 20 ounces hatch chiles (five 4 oz. cans, diced)
- 1 pound Mexican Blend cheese (grated)
- 10 ounce enchilada sauce (mild)
- Chopped green onions and fresh tomatoes for garnish, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine cooked ground beef with taco seasoning, water and green onions. Stir in salsa and corn.
- Spray 9” x 13” pan with nonstick spray. Place a layer of tortillas in the bottom. Top with a third of the hatch chiles, ground beef mixture, cheese and enchilada sauce. Repeat layers twice, using cheese on top. Cover with foil and bake at 350°F for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Allow to sit loosely covered for 10-15 minutes before serving. Top with chopped green onions and fresh diced tomatoes, if desired.
- We recommend Certified Angus Beef® brand for best results.
- Meal prep tip for make ahead Mexican lasagna: Prepare the beef layer (ground beef, taco seasoning, water, green onions) and refrigerate until ready to assemble. Add the corn and salsa, then just assemble the lasagna and bake as directed.
This post was updated on April 15th, 2019 and again on July 10, 2019. Post originally written by Renee Pajestka of Renee’s Kitchen Adventures (link in recipe).