Our easy Slow Cooker Beef Short Ribs recipe is melt-in-your-mouth tender and so delicious! Cooking short ribs in the slow cooker with a rich red wine sauce, carrots, and onions complements the flavor of the beef perfectly.
This is a super easy family dinner recipe everyone at the table will love! With only 15 minutes of prep and simple ingredients, you can set it and forget it while it cooks. Crock pot beef ribs are perfect for a busy weekday or even as Sunday supper!
What makes these the best beef short ribs?
- They’re easy: You can prep our beef short ribs recipe in the morning or even the night before, and let it cook in the crock pot all day long. It’s an easy way to put a delicious and nutritious family meal on the table after a busy day!
- They’re delicious: The combination of the red wine and balsamic vinegar deglazing the pan after searing the ribs gives this dish the most amazing flavor.
- Everything cooks at once: Cooking short rib recipes in the crock pot is perfect for making low-effort side dishes, since the veggies cook along with the ribs. Try adding fingerling potatoes and watch how flavorful they turn out!
- No extra steps: These braised short ribs make their own sauce! No need to take any extra steps to make beef gravy.
Want your recipe to look just like ours? Try serving it on this gorgeous black matte stoneware plate with a black stainless steel serving fork and spoon!
Take it from our readers on Pinterest – they are loving this recipe! Here’s what our readers who have tried this recipe have to say:
“Delicious. Roasted heirloom potatoes on the side.” – @rungirl67
“Turned out AMAZING. Definitely a keeper!!! 😋😍🥘♥️” – @NurseKatieCarr
“So easy. Served over rice. DELICIOUS!!” – @louisewdowden
“Such a great recipe! I ended up only needing to slow cook for 6 hours. You can taste the build of flavors in the meat. It’s not an overpowering punch, but more of a slow progression of flavors, which I feel like makes this dish taste and feel sophisticated.” – @rachaelmendoza
Want to leave a comment or a photo of your own? Snap a photo and share it on our pin: Slow Cooker Short Ribs!
What are short ribs?
Tender, beef chuck short ribs are one of the best cuts of beef for slow cooking and grilling (as in our Grilled Beef Short Ribs recipe). They come from the front section of the backbone, and are beautifully marbled.
Marbling refers to the white lines of fat running through a cut of beef. If there is a lot of web-like marbling, you know you are in for a treat!
After braising for hours in the crock pot, these beef short ribs are incredibly juicy and tender.
There are two primary cuts of beef short ribs.
Flanken Short Ribs
In this cut of beef, the bones are cut into short 1 to 2 inch lengths. Sometimes, a few cross-sections of ribs are left in a strip. Or, they’re in separate chunks, as they are in this recipe.
English-style Short Ribs
Larger pieces of bone are left in for this cut. The meat is cut parallel to the bone.
One of the best features of this easy beef short ribs crock pot recipe is that you will need only simple ingredients to make it.
- Beef chuck short ribs: You can use bone-in or boneless short ribs.
- Onion, celery, and carrots: This trio of veggies is a perfect complement to braised beef ribs. You can also add in other vegetables, like fingerling potatoes. Short ribs pair deliciously with sauteed onions and mushrooms, too.
- Garlic: A must! You can mince your own garlic or use garlic from a jar or even garlic paste.
- Red wine: We use red wine in this recipe. For a substitute, you can use red wine vinegar or beef stock. Along with beef broth, tomato paste, and balsamic vinegar, this will make the most delicious gravy while the ribs braise.
For the seasoning, you will only need salt and pepper, plus dried rosemary and bay leaves.
Should I use bone-in short ribs or boneless short ribs?
Bone-in beef short ribs in the slow cooker are our personal preference, but you can use boneless, too!
You can make this a bone-in or boneless short ribs slow cooker recipe – both work well. Why not try both and see which kind you prefer?
🔪 How to Cook Short Ribs in the Slow Cooker
Braising short ribs intensifies their beautiful mahogany color, and brings out their wonderful flavor. Follow these simple steps to make this crockpot beef short ribs recipe:
- Pat beef chuck short ribs dry, then season them all over with salt and pepper. Dice the onions, carrots, and celery, and mince the garlic.
- Heat oil in a large skillet and sear the ribs on all sides. Don’t overcrowd the pan! Sear in batches if you need to. After searing, remove the ribs from the skillet and place them in the slow cooker.
- Place the onion, carrots, and celery in the skillet, and cook for a couple of minutes to soften them. Add the garlic and cook for a minute.
- After a minute, add the wine to deglaze the pan, followed by the balsamic vinegar, tomato paste, beef broth, dried rosemary, and bay leaves.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, then pour the sauce over the short ribs in the crock pot. Cover, and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
For full ingredient measurements plus recipe tips, scroll to the recipe card below!
Should you sear ribs before slow cooking?
Our short ribs slow cooker recipe requires searing the meat before adding it to the crock pot in order to build flavor.
When you sear the short ribs in a skillet, the outside of the meat caramelizes slightly. This builds a more flavorful dish, as that flavor releases as the beef braises in the crock pot.
We recommend using a cast-iron skillet to sear your beef.
What does deglazing mean?
Deglazing a pan is a method for cooking that helps loosen those delicious browned bits at the bottom of a pan after searing food.
You then use the sauce from deglazing as a gravy for the meal. Those browned bits are flavor that help build the sauce while the beef braises in the slow cooker!
If you don’t already have a slow cooker, here are two we always recommend- plus a multi-use instant pot you can use for slow cooking!
How to Use the Drippings for Sauce or Gravy
You can make a beef gravy or a simple sauce reduction using the drippings from the slow cooker after you cook the beef.
How to Make the Drippings Into a Sauce
You are going to want to save the delicious juice drippings. Remove the short ribs and pour the juices into a pan.
Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Then simmer until the sauce reduces, for about about 15 minutes.
How to Make the Drippings Into a Gravy
Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet. Add in 2 tablespoons of flour and quickly stir together into a paste. Pour in the juices while stirring and heat over medium-high heat until thickened.
Follow our step-by-step directions on how to make the perfect slow cooker gravy. You can have a delicious beef gravy in minutes!
🥗 Side Dishes for Beef Short Ribs
Beef short ribs with gravy in the slow cooker pair deliciously with side dishes like potatoes, rice, or veggies of some kind. Here are a few of our favorite side dishes for beef short rib recipes:
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes or Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Perfect White Rice or Instant Pot White Rice
- Crispy Baked Potato Wedges
- Instant Pot Risotto or Mushroom Risotto
- Cauliflower Rice Casserole
The best way to enjoy beef short ribs with gravy is with something that can sop up all of that delicious gravy. Everyone loves homemade bread! Try our Peasant Bread Recipe, Instant Pot French Bread, or Sprouted Grain Bread.
🍰 Dessert after Braised Short Ribs
Or, give our Instant Pot Banana Bread a try – you make it entirely in the pressure cooker, no baking required!
For special occasions, you can’t beat serving our Strawberry Swirl Cheesecake. This easy cheesecake recipe is perfect after serving beef short ribs for dinner.
📖 Easy Beef Recipes
Love slow cooker boneless short ribs? Try some of our other favorite easy beef dinners for busy weekdays:
And, try some of our best slow cooker recipes:
📌 Pin it for later!Did you enjoy this page? Save it on Pinterest for later!
Save the Video Pin
Did you try this recipe for slow cooker beef short ribs? We would love to hear what you think! Leave a comment and a rating below, or email us.
Slow Cooker Short Ribs
- Slow Cooker
- 2.5 lbs. beef chuck short ribs
- 1/4 tsp. salt approx
- 1/4 tsp. pepper aprox
- 1 onion
- 8 ribs celery or one stalk
- 3 carrots medium
- 1 1/2 Tbsps. vegetable oil or other flavorless oil
- 1 clove garlic crushed or 1 tsp finely diced garlic
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 Tbsps. balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsps. tomato paste
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1/2 tsp. rosemary dried
- 3 bay leaves
- Pat the short ribs dry, if needed, and sprinkle them all over with salt and pepper. Finely dice the onion, celery, and carrots.Warm half of the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and sear the short ribs on all sides in two batches so you don't overcrowd the skillet. Make sure to sear until you have a nice mahogany crust. Put the short ribs in the slow cooker once browned, in one layer with the bones facing up.
- Add the onion, celery, and carrots to the skillet along with the remaining oil. Reduce the heat slightly, as needed, so the vegetables don't burn. Cook the vegetables for a couple minutes then add the garlic, cook a minute more then add the wine and deglaze the pan, scraping any browning from the skillet. As it starts to simmer, add the balsamic vinegar, tomato paste, broth, rosemary, and bay leaf. Bring to a simmer then pour over the short ribs.
- Turn the slow cooker on low and cook for 6 – 8 hours. Remove the bay leaves when it is done and discard them. Serve over mashed potatoes, rice, or thick pasta like pappardelle.
- For maximum flavor and tenderness we recommend Certified Angus Beef® brand beef short ribs.
- I used bone in short ribs for this recipe but boneless short ribs also work well.
- Make sure to give the short ribs a good amount of seasoning with salt and pepper to intensify the flavor.
- Important step: Heating oil in a skillet and searing the ribs on all sides in batches so you don’t overcrowd the pan. This step is key to beautiful and flavorful short ribs.
- You can also use large pieces of carrots and serve them as your side dish.
Photography by Caroline Williams.