Sunday Supper is an Amazon Associate and may receive compensation for purchases made through affiliate links.
My one-skillet boneless Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Sauce is an absolute lifesaver when it comes to preparing dinner in a pinch. This handy meal combines pan-seared boneless chicken breasts with mushrooms, caramelized onions, and cream to form a decadent pan sauce. I know your family is going to love this supper as much as we do! Ready in just 30 minutes.
Best Creamy Chicken with Mushrooms
There are so many chicken breast recipes for dinner, but this has to be one of my favorite stress-free dishes! It’s so easy to mix and match the flavors of this easy one-skillet recipe to fit what your family loves most.
Once the chicken breasts are seared and cooked, the rich mushroom and caramelized onion sauce is easy to assemble. Made all in one pot in just 30 minutes, this simple, customizable recipe is so delicious and perfect for a weeknight dinner or Sunday Supper.
You can absolutely freeze the leftovers! I like to put everything into an airtight and sealed container (helpful hint- if there is space in the container between the food and the lid, I like to put a layer of plastic wrap over the food to protect from freezer burn). Generally, cooked chicken will taste best if left frozen for up to 4 months.
Yes! Some people are just not onion people, and that is totally fine! Though it is going to change the flavor of the sauce, you could leave out the onions and just stick with the mushrooms (or the other way around, for people who do not like mushrooms). The chicken bits, mustard, Worcestershire, and cream is a delicious pan sauce on its own!
If you need to make this gluten-free all you need to do is swap corn starch for flour, but be careful because you will only need half the amount of corn starch! For this recipe, I would whisk ½ tablespoon cornstarch with 1 teaspoon water in a separate bowl before adding it to the sauce. This will remove any lumps.
- Don’t forget to scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pan, this adds an unbelievable flavor to the sauce!
- Try customizing this dish to your liking by adding ingredients like spinach or other greens and seasonal veggies. This is a perfect dish to make your own!
Side Dishes for Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- For a heartier meal, you could serve this dish with a starch of either my risotto recipe or mashed potatoes! Be sure to spoon the creamy mushroom sauce all over the top.
- Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots would also make a great side dish along with a seasonal salad, like my Fresh Vegetable Salad with Creamy Balsamic Dressing.
- In the summer time, this recipe pairs so well with my Moscato Sangria or Rose Sangria with Summer Berries. Otherwise, this dish would go great with your favorite light red (for me, pinot noir) or crisp white (pinot gris).
For more tips on cooking the best chicken recipes, check out my Chicken Temperature Chart complete with a cooking guide!
Easy Mushroom Recipes
If you love this recipe, check out some of our other favorite mushroom recipe ideas:
- Bone-in Pork Chops with Mushroom Gravy
- Mushroom White Wine Sauce Pasta
- Easy Risotto Recipe
- Homemade Mushroom Soup
- How to Cook Mushrooms and Onions
📌 Pin it for later!Did you enjoy this page? Save it on Pinterest for later!
Did you try my one pot Chicken Breast and Mushroom Recipe? Let me know what you think in the comments below and with a rating! I love to hear from you!
Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- 4 chicken breasts (boneless and skinless)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1½ cups white mushrooms sliced
- ½ yellow onion sliced
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme stems removed; optional, for garnish
- 1 teaspoon flat leaf parsley chopped; optional, for garnish
- Pat chicken breasts dry and season generously with salt and pepper on both sides. Heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When butter is melted, add chicken breasts and brown on each side (about 6-7 minutes per side) until chicken is cooked all the way through. Remove from pan.4 chicken breasts, salt, pepper, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon butter
- Using same pan and any drippings from the meat, add mushrooms and onions and cook until golden brown and caramelized. You may need to add a little more oil if pan becomes too dry. Add flour and stir to coat. Cook 1-2 minutes. Add in chicken broth, heavy cream, Worcestershire sauce, and dijon mustard and whisk gently until thickened. Finally, add salt and pepper to taste.1½ cups white mushrooms, ½ yellow onion, 1 tablespoon all purpose flour, ½ cup chicken broth, ½ cup heavy cream, 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, 2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Place chicken breasts back in the pan and cover with sauce. Allow to heat through.
- Plate and spoon sauce over chicken to serve. Optional: Garnish with fresh thyme and parsley. Enjoy!1 teaspoon flat leaf parsley, 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- When searing the chicken breasts, don’t flip if they are sticking to the pan. This means the chicken is not ready to flip. Wait another minute and try again.
- Consider using thinner chicken breasts or cutting them in half horizontally if they are thick so that they can cook all the way through without getting overdone or taking extra long to cook.
Photography by Kristen King.