Slow Cooker Wings with Spicy BBQ Sauce are fall off the bone tender chicken wings, cooked low and slow and filled with flavor. These are perfect party food and game day food – share food at it’s best.
It’s time for me to make an admission. I’m a chicken wing addict. Well to be honest, I’m a chicken addict but if I see chicken wings on a menu I must have them. When I make them at home, I change up the flavors often but my very favorite is this spicy barbecue flavor, served with some simple sour cream. There is nothing better.
Well, until now that is. I’ve discovered that I can slow cook chicken wings and it gives them the most soft and tender texture. So now I can combine my two obsessions with these Slow Cooker Wings and I am in wingy heaven.
Slow Cooker Wings are amazing and I’m going to show you how to do them from scratch. These slow cooker wings have a spicy barbecue sauce, the meat falls off the bone and I just love fun food like this. Keep some napkins on hand people, you’ll need them 🙂
How do you make slow cooker wings?
Are you ready – here we go. We start by cutting the wings into pieces. This is totally optional and you can put them into the slow cooker whole, I just find them easier to eat when cut into pieces. Just cut through the middle of the joints with a sharp knife so you’re left with wing tips, wing flats and drummettes. Or purchase them already cut into pieces.
Next it’s time to mix the spices together. The chicken wings get coated in the spice mix before going into the slow cooker. Some of the reserved spice mix gets added to the rest of the sauce ingredients then you’ll pour 3/4 of that sauce over the wings. Now you just need to wait while they slow cook.
Once the chicken wings are cooked, we work a little magic to finish them off. Turn your broiler to high and line a large baking tray with aluminum foil. Now sit a wire rack on top. Line up the chicken wings on the rack and broil for 5 minutes on each side, you’re looking to get them a bit crispy.
Take the wings out and brush liberally all over with the spicy bbq sauce and broil for a further 2 minutes, then repeat this step a second time.
How long do you cook chicken wings in a slow cooker?
Slow Cooker Wings do take longer than standard baked or fried wings but you’re rewarded with super soft meat that falls off the bone. They take around 4-5 hours to cook in a slow cooker.
Can you put frozen wings in a slow cooker?
Yes, you can cook frozen wings in a slow cooker. However, in the interest of food safety, use the high setting for frozen wings and cook them for around 3-4 hours in the slow cooker.
Are Slow Cooker Wings low carb?
There is no flour in this recipe making these Slow Cooker Wings not only naturally low carb but also gluten free (using a gluten free ketchup).
What other types of sauces can I use?
Oh wow! I change my wing sauces up regularly.
- Honey and Soy is another classic combo like these Honey Soy Chicken Wings
- You could give them a Korean twist with the sauce from these Korean Chicken Wings
- These Dragon Chicken Wings have a real spicy kick
- Or maybe Chilli Maple, Honey Orange or Teriyaki
The list goes on.
These Slow Cooker Wings with Spicy BBQ Sauce definitely need to be on your menu for your next get together. An absolute must for game day! Melt-in-your-mouth tender, perfect finger food (napkin on hand) and a flavor you can’t ignore.
Slow Cooker Wings with Spicy BBQ Sauce
- 3 pounds chicken wings
For the spice mix
- 3 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons onion flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
For the sauce
- 1 cup tomato ketchup
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
- Strips of cucumber and peppers
- Cut the wings into 3 pieces - wing tips, wing flats and drumettes. Discard the wing tips. Place the rest in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the spice mix ingredients. Reserve 1/4 cup of the spices and tip the rest over the chicken wing pieces. Mix well.
- To the quarter cup of reserved spices, add the sauce ingredients and mix well.
- Spray the slow cooker bowl with oil then add the wing pieces. Pour over 3/4 cup of the sauce (keep the rest aside) mix then cook on low for 4-5 hours until cooked and tender.
- Turn the broiler to high. Cover a large baking sheet in aluminium foil, then place a wire rack on top. Spray the rack with oil then sit the chicken wings in a single layer on the rack. Cook under the broiler for 5 minutes, turn them over then cook for another 5 minutes.
- Brush liberally with the remaining sauce mix, broil for 2 minutes and repeat.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve with sour cream and vegetable strips