It’s August and time to hit the books and head back to school for many of us! This time of year can be very exciting, yet extremely busy. So, we’re here to make that transition a little easier with one of our favorite Sunday Supper recipes that also makes a delicious hot lunch for back to school. This One Pot Chili Mac and Cheese recipe is full of bold chili flavors, beef, pasta and lots of gooey cheese. But, most importantly, it’s ready in no time with minimal clean up!
Fair warning…this recipe for One Pot Chili Mac and Cheese makes A LOT! However, that’s really great for this time of the year. Not only do you get a delicious family-friendly dinner, but there are plenty of leftovers for a hot lunch the next day! Simply re-heat in the microwave or spoon it warm into a thermos for the kids to take to school! For more back to school lunch recipes check out all of our Hot Lunch Ideas.
You’ll need a nice big pot to make this in. I used my 6-quart enamel coated dutch oven and it was perfect. As far as the dry pasta choice goes, I used a favorite shaped pasta from my childhood…wagon wheel pasta! (Have you had it? So fun!) But, any sort of shaped pasta would work here. You could use elbows or bow ties, just remember you may need to adjust the cook time for the pasta according to the shape and the directions on the box. You can also choose what type of beans you use. I used pinto, but kidney or black would work well too! I’m a big fan of recipes like this, that allow for a little versatility, in your ingredient choices.
I think you’ll love this One Pot Chili Mac and Cheese and I think you’ll love the easy clean up even more! Bon Appetit!
The Sunday Supper Movement is committed to bringing our readers delicious recipes that encourage them to gather and eat together around the family table. Search for your favorite ingredients on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Sunday Supper Pinterest boards for plenty more ideas and inspiration.
Sign up for our newsletter to get FREE Sunday Supper recipes delivered right to your inbox!
- 1 tsp. Olive Oil
- 1 lb Lean ground beef see note 1
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup onions diced
- 2 Tbsp chili seasoning mix I used McCormick
- 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes do not drain
- 4 cups beef broth or stock
- 1 cup milk or half and half
- 15 1/2 ounce beans rinsed and drained (I used pinto beans)
- 16 ounce pasta wagon wheel, macaroni, etc uncooked
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Freshly chopped parsley for garnish optional
Add olive oil to a large pot (6 quart min) with a lid and heat over med-high heat until oil starts to shimmer. Add in ground beef and onions and cook, breaking up beef into crumbles, until beef is no longer pink and onions are softened.
Stir in chili seasonings, tomatoes, beef broth, milk and beans.
Heat until mixture begins to simmer, then add in the pasta and stir. Bring back to a simmer and cover pot and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, or until pasta is soft. (There will still be liquid in the pan, you don't want it to all absorb). You may need to adjust cook time to desired degree of doneness for pasta.
Take off heat and stir in cheese until melted. Taste for salt and pepper, and add as needed. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley, if desired.
- We recommend Certified Angus Beef® brand for best results
Recipe source: Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
If you like One Pot Chili Mac and Cheese you may want to give these other one pot meals a try!
- One Pan Chicken Broccoli Alfredo
- Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya
- One Pot Mexican Chicken Pasta
- One Pot Pork and Chorizo
Sunday Supper Hot Lunch Ideas
Hearty Hot Lunches
- Beef Stroganoff by The Crumby Kitchen
- Cheesy Chicken Mac by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Lasagna Joes by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Lunch Box Walking Tacos by Soulfully Made
- Potato Spinach Gnocchi by Caroline’s Cooking
- Raisin Bread Chicken Grilled Cheese by Pies and Plots
- Tuna Quesadillas by Basic N Delicious
Soups and Stews
- 5 Bean Chili by My Blissful Mess
- Broccoli and Cheese Soup by Palatable Pastime
- Kielbasa Rice Bowl by The Freshman Cook
- Make It and Take It Burrito Bowl by Our Good Life
- One Pot Chili Mac and Cheese by Sunday Supper Movement
- Paleo Mason Jar Ramen by Bites Of Wellness
- Turmeric Cauliflower Soup by Cricket’s Confections
- Vegetable Beef Soup with Roasted Garlic by That Skinny Chick Can Bake