This post may contain paid links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
One of the best QUICK and EASY dinner ideas the whole family will love! A hearty, easy hamburger beef chili recipe that comes together in just a little over 30 minutes. Enjoy a high-protein dinner that’s low in fat and packed with fiber! It’s the perfect easy dinner idea for any night of the week.
Chili Recipe with Ground Beef
I love homemade chili. This is if you want to talk about easy beef recipes for dinner! A great chili recipe like this one checks all the boxes. It’s one of the best cold-weather recipes and dinner recipe ideas you can make!
When it gets chilly outside, or I’m throwing a party where I need crowd-feeding recipes, this thick chili recipe is always on my mind. I look for opportunities to make it! It’s one of my favorite ground beef dinner ideas.
This classic chili recipe is great because it’s packed with protein, fiber, and, most importantly, flavor! This easy chili recipe has everything you could want: onions, peppers, beef, two kinds of beans, tomatoes, and the perfect seasoning blend.
Beef Chili Ingredients
- beef broth – or chicken broth, no salt added
- onion, chopped
- red bell pepper or orange bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- garlic, minced
- lean ground beef
- dried oregano
- dried cumin
- chili powder
- ground black pepper
- cayenne pepper
- pinto beans canned – no salt added, rinsed and drained
- black or red kidney beans canned – no salt added, rinsed and drained
- diced tomatoes canned – no salt added
- Optional: shredded cheese and cilantro for garnish
For the broth, you can use either chicken or beef broth. I recommend using beef if you have it, as it complements the flavors of this meat chili recipe very well, but either will work and taste great.
Best Chili Recipe Spices
- dried oregano
- ground cumin
- chili powder
- ground black pepper
- cayenne pepper
Our stovetop chili recipe is mild chili, but if you prefer a hot and spicy chili, you only have to increase how much spice you use. You can add some red pepper flakes for a little extra kick; just be careful not to overdo it!
How to Make Hamburger Chili
- Warm up beef or chicken broth in a large pot (capable of holding at least 3 liters) at medium-high heat. Add chopped onion, seeded and chopped bell pepper, and minced garlic to the pot, stirring occasionally until the vegetables soften.
- Add ground beef. Using a wooden spoon, break down the meat until the beef is in small pieces and cooked.
- Stir in the spices, beans, and tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil for approximately 5 minutes, then reduce heat to a simmer and cover for 20 minutes.
- Serve in bowls and top with cheese and cilantro if you like, and serve!
This recipe is also delicious when made with ground turkey.
This easy ground beef chili recipe is a quick, comforting, and filling meal perfect for serving the entire family. The best part? You make everything from the tomato sauce for chili to the chili meat itself all in one pot!
Another thing I love about this quick, easy chili recipe is that it takes only a little over 30 minutes to make. It’s perfect for cooking up without much prep or thought beforehand, so it’s one of my favorite ideas for supper!
Chili Recipe with Ground Beef Toppings
- shredded cheddar cheese
- cilantro or parsley
- green onion
- Greek yogurt
- sour cream
- crushed tortilla chips
- hot sauce
Enjoy this hearty ground beef chili with toppings of your choice.
When I’m done cooking my meat chili recipe, I always top it off with shredded cheese. I use a Monterey Jack or cheddar blend, but you can top it off with your favorite cheese. White cheese is especially delicious over this bean chili recipe – you could even try Queso Fresco or Cotija cheese!
Cilantro is optional but adds a little color and a pop of extra flavor. If you prefer, you could add a little parsley or sliced green onions instead.
Best Ground Beef Chili Recipe Tips
- Prep ahead of time: Before cooking, prepare the ingredients, such as measuring out spices and chopping the veggies.
- Chop veggies to the same size: Make sure to chop the onion and bell pepper into a similar size so they’ll soften simultaneously while cooking. I like to chop them to about the size of a nickel.
- Lean ground beef: For best results, we recommend lean ground beef to make this a low-fat meal.
- Spice or tone it down: Change the spices or make it as mild or hot as you like. I find this chili mild to medium spicy in the heat department, making it perfect to serve to my family, but you can make this a spicy chili recipe by adding more pepper.
- Add some chili toppings: Spruce up this simple chili with additional toppings. I like to add shredded cheese, fresh cilantro, tortilla chips, and a generous dollop of Greek yogurt to my chili. Greek yogurt is a great low-fat, high-protein substitute for sour cream.
Try serving this recipe with ground beef over a bed of greens or perfect Portuguese rice. I love serving my chili beef over rice – the flavors blend so well!
Storing Hamburger Chili
- Allow the chili to cool down.
- Portion it into airtight containers.
- Label with the date and store in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for 2-3 months.
Reheating Hamburger Chili
From the Refrigerator:
- Microwave: Heat in 30-second intervals, stirring in between until hot.
- Stovetop: Warm over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.
From the Freezer:
- Thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
- Reheat using the methods above.
What to serve with Chili
Hamburger Chili Recipe FAQs
Yes, chili can be frozen! Cool your ground beef chili completely, and store it in an air-tight container for up to 3 months. Just thaw and reheat to enjoy!
Chili may be refrigerated and enjoyed for up to 5 days. In my opinion, this mild chili recipe tastes even better the second day after reheating it.
Hamburger Chili Recipe
- ¼ cup beef broth or chicken broth no salt added
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 14 oz pinto beans canned, no salt added, rinsed and drained
- 14 oz black beans canned, no salt added, rinsed and drained
- 28 oz diced tomatoes canned, no salt added
- Optional: shredded low-fat cheese and cilantro for garnish
See our Cooking Conversions Chart for help converting measurements!
- In a large pot (capable of holding at least 3 liters) at medium-high heat, warm up the broth. Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic to the pot, stirring occasionally until the vegetables soften.¼ cup beef broth or chicken broth, 1 onion, 1 bell pepper, 2 cloves garlic
- Add the ground beef. Using a wooden spoon, gently break down the meat until the beef is in small pieces and cooked through.1 lb lean ground beef
- Stir in the spices, beans, and tomatoes.2 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 teaspoon dried cumin, 1 tablespoon chili powder, ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, 14 oz pinto beans, 14 oz black beans, 28 oz diced tomatoes
- Bring to a boil for 5 minutes, then reduce heat to a simmer and cover for 20 minutes.
- Top with cheese and cilantro if you like. Serve and enjoy!Optional: shredded low-fat cheese and cilantro for garnish
- Prepare the ingredients, such as measuring out spices and chopping the veggies, before you start cooking.
- Make sure to chop the onion and bell pepper into a relatively similar size and shape so that the vegetables will soften at the same time you cook it. I like to chop the vegetables into a medium chop (about the size of a nickel).
- Change up the spices or make it as mild or hot as you like. I find this chili mild to medium spicy in the heat department (I’m a heat wimp though), making it perfect to serve to my family. Adjust the spice amounts to suit your family’s heat preferences.
- Spruce up this simple chili with additional toppings at the end. I like to add shredded cheese, fresh cilantro, tortilla chips, and a generous dollop of Greek yogurt to my chili. Greek yogurt is a great low-fat, high protein substitute for sour cream.
- Serve it on top of greens (like spinach) or in a lettuce wrap.