Sunday Supper is an Amazon Associate and may receive compensation for purchases made through affiliate links.
One of the best QUICK and EASY dinner ideas the whole family will love! A hearty, easy ground beef chili recipe that comes together in just a little over 30 minutes.
Enjoy a high protein dinner that’s low in fat and packed with fiber! It’s the perfect easy dinner idea for any night of the week.
Ground Beef Chili is the Best Homemade Chili
I love homemade chili. If you want to talk about easy beef recipes for dinner, this is the one! A great chili recipe like this one checks all the boxes. It’s one of the best cold weather recipes and dinner recipe ideas you can make!
When it gets chilly outside or if I’m throwing a party where I need crowd-feeding recipes, this thick chili recipe is always on my mind. I look for opportunities to make it! It’s one of my favorite low fat meals and ground beef dinner ideas, period.
What makes this classic chili recipe so great is that it’s packed with protein, fiber, and most importantly, flavor, and is low on fat. This is an easy chili recipe that has everything you could possibly want in it: onions, peppers, beef, two kinds of beans, tomatoes, and the perfect blend of seasoning.
This isn’t just your basic chili recipe! Ground beef chili takes it to the next level. You’re going to want to make this quick recipe for chili every time!
Ground Beef Chili Ingredients
- ¼ cup beef broth – or chicken broth, no salt added
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. extra lean ground beef – or lean, Certified Angus Beef® brand
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried cumin
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 14 oz. pinto beans canned – no salt added, rinsed and drained
- 14 oz. black beans canned – no salt added, rinsed and drained
- 28 oz. diced tomatoes canned – no salt added
- Optional: shredded cheese and cilantro for garnish
This is seriously the best beef chili recipe you’ll ever try. It’s full of flavor from the seasoning blend, lean ground beef, and beans, not to mention the veggies!
I use Certified Angus Beef® brand as I find it always provides the best flavor and texture of ground beef. For the broth, you can use either chicken or beef broth. I recommend using beef if you have it as it complements the flavors of this meat chili recipe very well, but either will work and taste great.
- dried oregano
- dried cumin
- chili powder
- ground black pepper
- cayenne pepper
Our stovetop chili recipe is a mild chili, but if you prefer a hot and spicy chili, all you have to do is increase how much spice you use.
For a little extra kick, you can add in some red pepper flakes, just be careful not to overdo it! Now, let’s get to it – how to make homemade chili!
How to Make Chili
- In a large pot (capable of holding at least 3 liters) at medium-high heat, warm up ¼ cup beef or chicken broth.
- Add 1 chopped onion, 1 seeded and chopped bell pepper, and 2 cloves minced garlic to the pot, stirring occasionally until the vegetables soften.
- Add 1 lb. extra lean or lean ground beef.
- Using a wooden spoon, break down the meat until the beef is in small pieces and cooked through.
- Stir in 2 tsp. dried oregano, 1 tsp. dried cumin, 1 Tbsp. chili powder, ½ tsp. ground black pepper, ½ tsp. cayenne pepper, a 14 oz. can of pinto beans drained and rinsed, a 14 oz. can of black beans drained and rinsed, and a 18 oz. can of diced tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil for approximately 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cover for 20 minutes.
- Top with cheese and cilantro if you like, and serve!
This easy ground beef chili recipe is a quick, comforting, and filling meal that’s perfect to serve the entire family. The best part? You make everything from the tomato sauce for chili to the chili meat itself all in one pot!
Another thing I love about this quick easy chili recipe is that it takes only a little over 30 minutes to make. It’s perfect for cooking up without much prep or thought ahead of time, so it’s one of my favorite ideas for supper!
Ground Beef Chili Toppings
- shredded cheddar cheese
- cilantro or parsley
- green onion
- Greek yogurt
- sour cream
- crushed tortilla chips
Enjoy this hearty ground beef chili with toppings of your choice.
When I’m done cooking my meat chili recipe, I always top it off with shredded cheese. I use a Monterey Jack or cheddar blend, but you can top it off with your favorite cheese. A white cheese is especially delicious over this bean chili recipe – you could even try Queso Fresco or Cotija cheese!
Cilantro is optional, but adds a little color and pop of extra flavor. If you prefer, you could add a little parsley or sliced green onions instead.
Easy Ground Beef Chili Recipe Tips
- Prep ahead of time: Prepare the ingredients, such as measuring out spices and chopping the veggies, before you start cooking.
- Chop veggies to the same size: Make sure to chop the onion and bell pepper into a similar size so they’ll soften at the same time while cooking. I like to chop them to about the size of a nickel.
- Lean ground beef: For best results, we recommend using Certified Angus Beef® brand lean ground beef to make this a low-fat meal.
- Spice it up or tone it down: Change up the spices or make it as mild or hot as you like. I find this chili mild to medium spicy in the heat department, making it perfect to serve to my family, but you can make this a spicy chili recipe by adding more pepper.
- Add some chili toppings: Spruce up this simple chili with additional toppings at the end. I like to add shredded cheese, fresh cilantro, tortilla chips, and a generous dollop of Greek yogurt to my chili. Greek yogurt is a great low-fat, high protein substitute for sour cream.
Try serving this recipe with ground beef over a bed of greens or perfect Portuguese rice. I love serving my chili beef over rice – I find the flavors blend together so well!
Can’t you just picture yourself enjoying a big bowl of this ground beef chili to cozy up with when it’s chilly out?
It would be perfect to serve at a barbecue or game day party, too, since this recipe can be scaled up and is budget-friendly!
Can you freeze chili with ground beef?
Yes, chili can be frozen! Cool your ground-beef chili completely, and store it in an air-tight container for up to 3 months. Just thaw and reheat to enjoy!
Chili may also be refrigerated and enjoyed for up to 5 days. In my opinion, this mild chili recipe tastes even better the second day after reheating.
📌 Pin it for later!Did you enjoy this page? Save it on Pinterest for later!
Check out these dinner ideas with ground beef!
- Best Keto Cheeseburger Casserole Recipe
- Ground Beef Stroganoff Skillet Recipe
- Lebanese Kebabs with Beef
- Homemade Bolognese Sauce with Pappardelle Pasta
- Bolognese Sandwich Pull-Apart Sliders
- Slow Cooker Lasagna (Crockpot Lasagna)
Other Easy Dinner Ideas
Even More Easy Chili Recipes
Ground Beef Chili Recipe
- ¼ cup beef broth or chicken broth no salt added
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef or lean, Certified Angus Beef® brand
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 14 oz pinto beans canned, no salt added, rinsed and drained
- 14 oz black beans canned, no salt added, rinsed and drained
- 28 oz diced tomatoes canned, no salt added
- Optional: shredded low-fat cheese and cilantro for garnish
- In a large pot (capable of holding at least 3 liters) at medium-high heat, warm up the broth.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic to the pot. Stirring occasionally until the vegetables soften.
- Add the ground beef.
- Using a wooden spoon, gently break down the meat until the beef is in small pieces and cooked through.
- Stir in the spices, beans, and tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cover for 20 minutes.
- Top with cheese and cilantro if you like. Best served hot.
- Prepare the ingredients, such as measuring out spices and chopping the veggies, before you start cooking.
- Make sure to chop the onion and bell pepper into a relatively similar size and shape so that the vegetables will soften at the same time you cook it. I like to chop the vegetables into a medium chop (about the size of a nickel).
- For best results, we recommend using Certified Angus Beef ® brand lean ground beef to make this a low-fat meal.
- Change up the spices or make it as mild or hot as you like. I find this chili mild to medium spicy in the heat department (I’m a heat wimp though), making it perfect to serve to my family. Adjust the spice amounts to suit your family’s heat preferences.
- Spruce up this simple chili with additional toppings at the end. I like to add shredded cheese, fresh cilantro, tortilla chips, and a generous dollop of Greek yogurt to my chili. Greek yogurt is a great low-fat, high protein substitute for sour cream.
- Serve it on top of greens (like spinach) or in a lettuce wrap.
- For best results, we always recommend using Certified Angus Beef® brand.