Our Easy Creamy Mac and Cheese recipe is adapted from Alton Brown’s Mac and Cheese recipe. It’s a stovetop mac and cheese, so it’s super easy to make and very creamy delicious! Add this to your family’s Sunday Supper Recipes, because this is the mac and cheese recipe the whole family will love!
Stove Top Mac and Cheese Recipe
Making mac and cheese on the stove top is very quick and easy. It turns out creamier in texture than baked mac and cheese recipes, yet still tastes great! Stove top mac and cheese is a comfort food pasta recipe that warms you up deliciously! Kids love stove top mac and cheese for the extra creamy texture, so this Easy Creamy Mac and Cheese is the perfect hot lunch idea to send back to school with the kiddos!
Alton Brown’s Stove Top Mac and Cheese Recipe
Alton Brown’s Stove Top Mac and Cheese recipe is a one pot mac and cheese ready in about 30 minutes. That’s a good thing, because when you get a craving for easy creamy mac and cheese you don’t want to have to wait long for it! AmIRight?! With just a few ingredients and your stove top, you can enjoy this mac and cheese recipe any night of the week. It’s satisfying enough to serve as a main dish for a comforting Sunday Supper family dinner, but also makes a delicious side dish recipe. Versatility is a great quality in easy recipes!
Easy Creamy Mac and Cheese Recipe Tips
- Cook the elbow noodles first and drain
- While the elbow noodles are cooking, mix the sauce ingredients. It’s also a good time to shred the cheese if needed. Using a food processor makes quick work of shredding cheese.
- A mixture of 1/2 cheddar and 1/2 Gruyere delivers a creamy mac and cheese with a bit more depth of flavor than just using one cheese. Play around with different cheese combinations to find your favorite!
- To add another level of flavor, mix in fresh thyme leaves with the garlic. Or considering adding a splash of hot sauce.
- For a variation, we love to chop up sausage into this easy creamy mac and cheese recipe. Vegetables make a great addition too!
The Sunday Supper Movement is committed to bringing our readers delicious recipes that encourage them to gather and eat together around the family table. Search for your favorite ingredients on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Sunday Supper Pinterest boards for plenty more ideas and inspiration.
Sign up for our newsletter to get FREE Sunday Supper recipes delivered right to your inbox!
Easy Creamy Mac and Cheese
- 1/2 pound elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic freshly minced
- 2 large eggs
- 6 ounces evaporated milk
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon kosher salt to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 5 ounces mild cheddar shredded
- 5 ounces Gruyere cheese shredded
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta per the directions on the box to al dente and drain. Set aside.
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in the same pot over medium heat and saute 1/2 teaspoon freshly minced garlic for about 30 seconds.
- Add the pasta and toss to combine.
- While the pasta is cooking, whisk together 2 large eggs, 6 ounces evaporated milk, a teaspoon of kosher salt, freshly cracked black pepper, and 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard.
- Stir the mixture into the pasta and cook for about 3 minutes over medium heat.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted. Put back over low heat as needed to melt the cheese.
- Give it a taste and add more seasoning as needed. A small splash of hot sauce is a nice addition to kick this mac and cheese recipe up a notch.
Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
Get free recipes delivered to your inbox every week!
Thank you for joining the Sunday Supper family!
Something went wrong.