This is one of the easiest and prettiest holiday salad recipes you should be serving for Thanksgiving!! Inspired by Ina Garten’s Roasted Artichoke Salad, this holiday salad recipe is easy to make and festive. The roasted artichokes combined with the tangy burst of fresh basil vinaigrette is the perfect holiday salad and a delicious way to start your meal.
Holiday Salad Recipes
Holiday Salads make a lightened up starter or side dish to balance out all the heavier dishes of a traditional holiday dinner. Using fresh ingredients maximizes flavor for a light and satisfying salad with artichokes recipe that is not only delicious but can also add a festive touch to your holiday table with beautiful colors. Much like our Spinach Pomegranate Salad, our Roasted Artichoke Salad inspired by the Barefoot Contessa Recipes, Ina Garten, definitely adds a festive touch to your holiday table. The deep red of the roasted peppers combined with the festive green of the basil vinaigrette and the golden roasted artichokes is the perfect example of how a beautiful salad can be just as pretty as it is delicious. This roasted artichoke recipe can also be made a day ahead, freeing up your time on the big day!
Ina Garten’s Roasted Artichoke Hearts Salad Recipe Tips
- We used jarred artichokes for this recipe. If you have frozen artichokes available, those are best. However, frozen artichokes are more expensive and sometimes difficult to find. We find the jarred artichokes work great in this recipe.
- Champagne vinegar is recommended, but you may sub in white vinegar if you have it on hand.
- This recipe is even better if you make it up a day ahead. We recommend prepping it a day ahead of when you want to serve it. This will free up your time and your oven for other things. A must when cooking a large meal.
- You can easily double the recipe for a larger crowd.
- This recipe goes great with lots of different main dishes or even by itself as a meatless main dish. We like to make this in the summer for a quick lunch or even a light dinner.
- We love Ina Garten Salads because they are so easy to make, yet so delicious.
Ina Garten's Roasted Artichoke Salad
Roasted Artichoke Hearts
- 28 ounces artichoke hearts
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper freshly cracked
- 1/4 cup shallot minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice freshly squeezed (or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon bell pepper freshly cracked
- 1/2 cup fresh basil chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons capers drained (or more to your liking)
- 2 roasted red peppers sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup red onion minced
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped fresh
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil for easy clean-up.
- Place the artichoke hearts on the baking sheet and drizzle them with 1/4 cup olive oil. Sprinkle on 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toss until the artichoke hearts are coated. Roast in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the artichoke hearts are toasted golden brown.
- While the artichoke hearts are roasting, make the vinaigrette. Place 1/4 cup minced shallot, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Process for 5 seconds. Add 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves and process into a green puree. With the processor running, slowly pour 1/2 cup olive oil into the bowl through the feed tube until the ingredients are finely pureed. Chill until ready to use.
- When the artichoke hearts are roasted to a golden color, place the in a serving dish and toss with enough vinaigrette to coat. Add 3 tablespoons capers (or more to your liking), 1-2 roasted red peppers (sliced thinly), 1/4 cups minced red onion, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley, and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more to your liking). Give it a taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed. Serve at room temperature or chilled with additional dressing and enjoy!
- We recommend making this salad early in the day or a day ahead.