This post may contain paid links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
My Slow Cooker Carne Picada Tacos recipe will become one of your favorite weeknight meals! It is so incredibly tasty and easy to prepare using your slow cooker.
Best Carne Picada Tacos
Carne picada meat is perfect for use in easy weeknight dinners like burrito bowls, tacos, or simply served over white rice. Perfect for Sunday dinner too! With just 15 minutes of prep, simple ingredients, and 3 easy steps, you can have a perfect dinner.
I guarantee you are going to love this recipe. It is as easy as can be to make. The first time I made this recipe, you should have seen the look on my family’s faces! Instant obsession. I get asked to make this beef picada recipe almost weekly.
So simple and yummy! I’ve made it twice now. Great when I need to fix it and forget it.Susan
Carne Picada Ingredients
- Bottom round roast or Chuck Roast cut in ½-inch cubes
- all-purpose flour
- sea salt
- garlic powder
- olive oil
- fire roasted diced tomatoes
How to Cook Carne Picada
- Dry bottom round roast cut into ½-inch cubes by patting with paper towels. Combine all-purpose flour, paprika, salt and pepper, and garlic powder in a bowl, and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Sear beef over medium-high heat in batches until all pieces are browned. Transfer the seared beef to your slow cooker.
- Stir in the flour seasoning blend and fire-roasted tomatoes, then place the lid on your slow cooker and cook for 3 hours on high.
- Serve the tasty beef in taco shells or soft tortillas. Garnish with fresh cilantro (optional), and enjoy!
Carne Picada Tacos
This recipe is amazing for taco night! Just fill your tortilla with the crockpot carne picada and add your favorite toppings!
I like to add cotija cheese, onions, cilantro, sour cream, and guacamole. These are the best beef tacos you will try.
Carne Picada Recipe Tips
My favorite part about this carne picada crockpot recipe is that it’s really so easy to make. But, I have a few tips for you that will give you the best results every time!
- Sear the beef first for the best flavor – don’t skip this step! The beef sears quickly and easily since it’s cut into chunks, and that extra sear makes a big difference.
- If you have time to spare, cook your carne picada beef for longer. Cook on low until very tender, about 5 hours. This will give you the most tender crockpot dinner.
- If you’re a busy mom like me, make slow cooker carne picada beef on the weekends along with a batch of Portuguese rice or pasta. Then you can simply heat, assemble, and enjoy on those busy nights when cooking something fresh isn’t possible.
Carne Picada Recipes FAQs
In Spanish, carne means “meat”, and picada means “chopped”. Typically, packages of beef picada meat at the market are sold as small pieces of beef, either cut into thin slices or cubes.
Some also refer to this cut of beef as Carne Picado, which means “bitten”, Carne Molida (“ground”), or Carne Moída (“minced”). You may even hear people refer to it simply as minced meat. There is also carne asada which is equally amazing!
Carne Picada is different from ground beef in that it is a much thicker chopped beef. It is a cut in between ground beef and chopped beef. It is perfect for quick and easy meals because it cooks very fast while still retaining a bite to it.
I recommend a bottom round roast or chuck roast as they become perfectly tender when you cook it in the crockpot.
You can generally find cubed bottom round roast to use for this recipe or can ask your butcher to cut it for you. You can also easily prepare your own Carne picada meat at home. Simply cut a bottom round roast into ½-inch cubes.
Carne picada is a tender crockpot stew, full of slow cooker minced meat that cooks down with the most delicious natural gravy thanks to the fire-roasted tomatoes.
Storing Carne Picada Leftovers
Store your leftover carne picada meat, or your make-ahead meals, in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. I like to keep mine separate from anything I’m serving it with, like rice or pasta.
Carne Picada Recipes
The possibilities for what you can make with crockpot carne picada are endless. Our recipe is full of delicious Mexican flavors that are perfect for making so many delicious meals.
- Mexican Pizza Beef Flatbread
- Carne Picada Tacos
- Carne Picada Fajitas
- Carne Picada Beef Rice Bowls
- Carne Picada Breakfast Tacos
The whole family will gobble these easy recipes up and ask for more! Trust me – mine does every time!
What to Serve with Spicy Carne Picada
- Elotes Mexicanos
- Corn on the Cob on the Grill
- Portuguese Rice
- Avocado Crema
- Pickled Onions
- Baked Potato Wedges
Best Taco Recipes
Try my Ropa Vieja Recipe, too!
Let us know what you think in the comments below and with a rating!
Easy Carne Picada Tacos
See our Cooking Conversions Chart for help converting measurements!
- Cube (if necessary) and dry the beef by patting with paper towels. Combine flour, paprika, salt, pepper and garlic powder, and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in heavy-bottom pan. Sear beef over medium-high heat in batches until browned. Transfer seared beef to slow cooker.
- Stir in reserved flour blend and the fire roasted tomatoes.
- Cook for 3 hours on high. Garnish with fresh cilantro and enjoy!
- It’s important to sear the beef for best flavor, so don’t skip that step. The beef sears quickly and easily as it is already cut into small chunks.
- Want a longer cook time? Cook the beef on low until very tender, about 5 hours.
- If you prefer a milder flavor, use regular canned diced tomatoes.
- If you want more sauce to top over rice or pasta, use 2 cans of fire roasted tomatoes. If you want a drier beef for tacos, use 1 can of fire roasted tomatoes.