Carne Picada slow cooked to melt-in-your-mouth perfection is used in a variety of recipes making easy weeknight dinners the whole family will love! Serve this slow cooker carne picada in tacos and burritos or over rice
What is Carne Picada
In Spanish, carne means meat and picada means chopped. Typically packages of carne picada in the market will be small pieces of beef either thinly sliced or cubed. However, you can do this yourself or have the butcher do it for you by simply buying bottom round roast and cutting it into 1/2 inch cubes as we did for this slow cooker carne picada recipe. Certified Angus Beef® brand bottom round roast has a wonderful beefy flavor and is very tender when slow cooked in the spicy tomato gravy. Our recipe is adapted from Certified Angus Beef’s Slow Cooker Carne Picada.
Carne Picada Serving Suggestions
- Carne Picada Tacos (pictured above) – Carne picada slow cooked with a slightly spicy tomato gravy is perfect for serving a variety of ways, but one of our favorite ways to enjoy it is Carne Picada Tacos. We use flour tortillas but corn tortillas would be great too if you prefer them. Top the carne picada tacos with shredded lettuce, Mexican crumbling cheese, such as Cotija cheese, along with sour cream, and guacamole. Garnish with fresh cilantro for an easy family dinner recipe everyone will gobble up and ask for more!
- Carne Picada Rice Bowls (pictured above) – Our Slow Cooker Carne Picada with the slightly spicy tomato gravy goes great over rice! We top this rice bowl much the same as we do our Carne Picada Tacos using Cotija cheese, sour cream, guacamole, and fresh cilantro for garnish. The fresh flavors, tender carne picada, and tomato gravy blend perfectly with rice. This carne picada rice bowl comes together easily for a quick dinner any night of the week. We like to make the slow cooker carne picada on the weekends along with a big batch of rice so we’re ready to just assemble, heat, and eat on those busy nights during the week when we don’t feel like cooking! This makes a great rice bowl to take to work for lunch too! For a tutorial on how to make rice, visit my Burrito Bowl Recipe. It has step-by-step instructions with photos on how to make rice.
- Carne Picada Breakfast Tacos – Another great serving suggestion for our slow cooker carne picada is Carne Picada Breakfast Tacos by our friend Renee of Renee’s Kitchen Adventures. These tasty tacos will really spice up your morning routine! The whole family will gather round the breakfast table for Carne Picada Breakfast Tacos!
Slow Cooker Carne Picada Recipe Tips
This recipe for Slow Cooker Carne Picada is super easy to make, but here are a few tips to ensure best results every time:
- It’s important to sear the beef for best flavor, so don’t skip that step. The beef sears quickly and easily as it is already cut into small chunks.
- Want a longer cook time? Cook the beef on low until very tender, about 5 hours.
- We always recommend using Certified Angus Beef® brand beef to maximize flavor and tenderness.
Slow Cooker Recipes
Slow cooker recipes are perfect for easy family dinners any night of the week. I love how you can just set it and forget it when using a slow cooker. Check out some of our other favorite slow cooker recipes to have lots of go-to slow cooker recipes for a variety of family dinners. You’ll love to make these during the week as well as for Sunday Supper family dinners when you might have a bigger crowd to feed.
- Slow Cooker Pork Ribs with Bourbon BBQ Sauce
- Easy Slow Cooker Roast Beef Recipe
- Slow Cooker Beef Tips and Gravy
- Slow Cooker Comfort Food Recipes
- 2 pounds Bottom round roast cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes 14.5oz
Dry the beef by patting with paper towels. Combine flour, paprika, salt, pepper and garlic powder, and set aside.
Heat olive oil in heavy-bottom pan. Sear beef over medium-high heat in batches until browned. Transfer seared beef to slow cooker.
Stir in reserved flour blend and the fire roasted tomatoes.
Cook for 3 hours on high. Garnish with fresh cilantro and enjoy!
Refer to step-by-step photos above.
For best results use Certified Angus Beef® brand.
NOTE: If you prefer a milder flavor, use regular canned diced tomatoes.
The Sunday Supper Movement is committed to bringing our readers delicious recipes that encourage them to gather and eat together around the family table. Search for your favorite ingredients on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Sunday Supper Pinterest boards for plenty more Sunday Dinner Ideas and inspiration.