No Cinco de Mayo party is completely without a delicious lime dessert. I’d like to recommend this super simple carlota de limon or Mexican lime charlotte. It couldn’t be easier to put together. Maria biscuits are layered with a tangy filling of fresh lime, sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk. A little dulce de leche adds even more richness and flavor.
Growing up in Texas, I must confess that I don’t remember Cinco de Mayo being much of a thing. Go Texan Day on March 2nd was celebrated much more. It was the start of Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo, an event lasting several weeks that we all looked forward to.
But as an adult, suddenly Cinco de Mayo became more important. Maybe it was the potential margaritas but I’m not going to speculate on the grounds that it might incriminate me. My favorite Cinco de Mayo memories were actually some place far, far away from Mexico – in Kuala Lumpur. The American Association of Malaysia celebrated every year with a big fiesta. We served a huge Mexican buffet, frozen margaritas and chilled beer, along with chips and salsa.
Dessert was usually flan, which I do love because it’s not very sweet, but if I had only known about carlota de limon, I can guarantee you that’s what we’d have had. It beats a flan hands down any day, for ease and taste.
Are you ready to make Carlota de Limon (Lime Charlotte)?
- 1½ cups or 360ml evaporated milk
- 1 can (14 oz or 397g) condensed milk
- ½ cup or 120ml dulce de leche (or sub more condensed milk)
- ½ cup or 120ml fresh lime juice
- Zest 1 lime
- Maria biscuits – about 30
- Makes 1 liter of filling
- Whipped cream
- Strawberries, sliced (We recommend Florida strawberries, when in season.)
- 1 lime, sliced thinly
- Use electric beaters or a whisk to combine the condensed milk, dulce de leche, and evaporated milk. Add in the lime juice and zest and beat until thickened.
- Line a deep round pan with foil and cover the bottom with a layer of Maria biscuits, scoring and breaking some to fill the gaps.
- Spoon in one third of the filling, spreading it carefully to cover the biscuit base.
- Top with another layer of Maria biscuits, again, scoring and breaking a couple to fill the gaps.
- Top with second third of the filling, a final layer of biscuits, then the last third of the filling.
- Pop the carlota de limón in the freezer for an hour or two or until firm.
- When you are ready to serve, remove the carlota de limón from the freezer and decorate with whipped cream, sliced strawberries and limes, if desired.
If you are looking for easy Cinco de Mayo recipes for your celebration, our Sunday Supper tastemakers have got you covered. Many thanks to our event manager Cricket of Cricket’s Confections and Shelby of Grumpy’s Honeybunch for all of their work behind the scenes.
Sunday Supper Easy Cinco de Mayo Recipes
- Beef and Portobella Tostados by Our Good Life
- Cumin Spiced Potato Quesadillas by Sprinkles and Sprouts
- Easy 5 Minute Restaurant Style Salsa by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Fiesta Corn Dip Recipe by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Rotisserie Chicken Nachos by Pies and Plots
- Cherry Paloma by The Crumby Cupcake
- Spicy Micheladas by Food Lust People Love
- Strawberry Pineapple Agua Fresca by Authentically Candace
- Cheese Enchiladas with Red Sauce by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Chicken Tinga Chalupas by Palatable Pastime
- Chicken Tortilla Soup by Soulfully Made
- Chipotle Chicken and Black Bean Soup by Cooking Chat
- Mexican Chicken and Black Bean Casserole by Simple and Savory
- Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas with Mexican Slaw by A Mind Full Mom
- Southwestern Chicken Layered Salad with Cilantro Dressing by My Savory Spoon
Sides and Sauces
- Alambre Skillet Cheese Dip by My Life Cookbook
- Black Bean Cilantro Rice by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Mango Habanero Sauce by Caroline’s Cooking
- Queso Fundido (Melted Cheese with Chorizo) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Slow Cooker Healthy Refried Beans by Cricket’s Confections
- Chicken Street Tacos by The Freshman Cook
- Chicken Fajitas by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Lime Chicken Soft Tacos by Life Tastes Good
- Mini Taco Bowl Bites by Jersey Girl Cooks
- Pineapple Lime Chicken Tacos by Brunch-n-Bites
- Taco Bake by My World Simplified
- Blueberry-Chocolate Jicamuffins by What Smells So Good?
- Carlota de Limon – Lime Charlotte by Sunday Supper Movement
- Flourless Mexican Hot Chocolate Cake by Baking Sense
- Margarita Cupcakes by Gourmet Everyday
- Oreo Taco Cookies by Ninja Baker
- Sopapilla-Inspired Cheesecake Bars by Books n’ Cooks
- Strawberry Gluten-Free Hand Pies by And She Cooks
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.