Nothing says comfort food like a delicious homemade chicken and mushroom pie. Completely made from scratch with fresh ingredients, this savory pie is perfect for lunch or dinner!
With its flakey and buttery homemade shortcrust pastry and a creamy mushroom chicken pie filling, this chicken mushroom recipe is sure to be a hit with your entire family. And, if you have leftovers, it can easily be frozen for another day… but that’s only if there is any left!
I absolutely love a good savory pie or tart. They are a great way to make meals for the whole family while still enjoying the baking process.
You can use so many different ingredients and flavors to make a pie, and there are just that many options for look or style. Whether it is in the form of a pie, a tart, a galette or a quiche recipe, mushroom recipes like this chicken pie recipe always make a great lunch, appetizer, entree or dinner.
Chicken and Mushroom Pie Recipe Ingredients
This chicken and mushroom pie is fully made from scratch with fresh ingredients. Although the pastry can be store-bought, I personally always prefer to make my own. Easy pie recipes like this Chicken and Mushroom Pie always taste fresher than store-bought!
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this cream pie recipe:
For the Homemade Shortcrust Pastry:
- Plain Flour
- Table Salt
- Cold Unsalted Butter
- Cold Water
- 1 Egg for the Egg-wash (optional)
For the Chicken and Mushroom Filling:
- Chicken Thighs
- Small White Mushrooms
- Chicken Stock
- Heavy Cream
- Cornstarch (can be replaced with Plain Flour)
- Olive Oil
- Seasoning and Spices: Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder (or crushed garlic), Dried Thyme and Curry Powder
How to Make Chicken and Mushroom Pie
There are three main steps to make this chicken and mushroom pie. First, the homemade shortcrust pastry, then preparing the mushroom chicken recipe filling and finally, putting it all together. Let’s dive in:
- To prepare the homemade shortcrust pastry, place the Flour, Salt and Cold Cubed Butter in the bowl of your food processor. Blend until the texture resembles thin sand/crumbs. Add the cold water and keep blending until the pastry dough starts to come together. Transfer onto a lightly floured surface and bring together into a ball. Cover with wrap and place in the fridge.
- While the pastry is hardening, start preparing the filling. Pour the Olive Oil in a large deep pan and add the sliced chicken thighs with the salt. Cook over medium heat. When it starts to whiten, cover with the chicken stock. Leave to simmer for 5 minutes, then add the sliced mushrooms. In a separate bowl, whisk the Cream, Cornstarch, and Curry Powder. Pour over the chicken and mushrooms and add the rest of the spices. Leave to simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, or until it starts to thicken. Set aside.
- To put the chicken and mushroom pie together, place the pastry dough on a lightly floured surface and cut in two, approximately 1/3 on one side and 2/3 on the other side. Roll the larger piece and place in a deep pie pan. Add the chicken and mushroom filling, then cover with the rest of the rolled pastry dough. Brush the egg over the pastry and bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
How to Freeze Chicken Mushroom Pie
There are two ways to freeze this chicken and mushroom pie:
- Make the pastry and pie filling. Roll the pastry, fill it with the chicken and mushrooms, then cover it with the rest of the pastry. Place in the freezer until ready to bake. Simply add about 20 minutes to the baking time to allow for the pie to defrost.
- Make the pie and bake it before freezing it. Leave it to cool down completely before placing it in the freezer. You can put the whole pie in the freezer, or pre-slice it. To reheat, allow to thaw overnight then place in the oven for about 20 to 30 minutes, or until completely defrost and warm.
Side Dishes for Chicken and Mushroom Pie
This savory pie is delicious on its own, especially as an easy recipe for lunch. You can also serve it with a green salad like this Fresh Vegetable Salad with Creamy Balsamic Dressing, steamed or roasted veggies like these Garlic Parmesan Roasted Carrots or Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots, or even mashed potatoes for a larger meal.
Make ahead chicken recipes are a great and delicious way to make weekly lunches and dinner more exciting!
Whether you want to challenge yourself and make your own pastry, or buy some pre-made and fill it with your preparation of chicken and mushrooms, this recipe will leave you wanting for more!
Do you love pie recipes? Let us know your favorite in the comments below!
For more mushroom dinner recipes, try these:
- Vegetarian Stuffed Mushroom Recipe
- Mushroom Grilled Cheese and French Onion Soup
- Air Fryer Mushrooms
- Mushroom Risotto Recipe
- Hungarian Mushroom Soup
- Chicken Breast and Mushroom Recipe
- Baked Portobello Mushrooms
- Mushroom Swiss Burger
If you love savory bakes like me, you may also want to try these best pie recipes:
- Individual Guinness Beef Pot Pies
- Cheesy Corn Tomato Tartlets
- Onion, Fig and Feta Savoury Tart
- Feta Asparagus Quiche
Chicken and Mushroom Pie
Homemade Shortcrust Pastry
- 2 cups Plain Flour
- 1 tsp. Table Salt
- 4.5 oz Cold Butter
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp Cold Water
- 1 tbsp Fine Semolina optional
- 1 Egg for the egg-wash
Chicken and Mushroom Filling
- 4 Fresh Chicken Thighs
- 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp. Table Salt
- 1 tsp. Garlic Powder or crushed garlic
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 dozen Small White Mushroom about 9 oz
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp. Curry Powder
- 1 tsp. Black Pepper Powder
- 1 tsp. Dried Thyme
Homemade Shortcrust Pastry
- Place the Flour, Salt and Butter in the bowl of your food processor. Blend until it resemble thin sand or crumbs. Add the cold water and pulse until the dough starts to come together. (see note 1 to do without a food processor)
- Transfer onto a lightly floured surface and assemble the dough in a ball. Cover with wrap and gently press on the dough to flatten it (this will help the pastry to chill more uniformly). Place in the fridge to chill.
Chicken and Mushroom Filling
- Cut the Chicken Thighs in small pieces.Pour the Olive Oil in a large deep pan. Add the cut chicken thighs with the salt and garlic powder (or crushed garlic). Cook over medium heat. When the chicken pieces start to turn white, cover with the chicken stock and leave to simmer for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, peal and slice the small white mushrooms then add them to the pan.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the heavy cream, cornstarch and curry powder. Pour over the chicken and mushrooms with the dried thyme flakes. Whisk well and leave to simmer on medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes.
- When the filling starts to thicken, taste and adjust the salt and spices if required. Add the black pepper powder, stir then remove from the heat and leave to cool down for 10 to 15 minutes.
Putting the Chicken and Mushroom Pie together
- Preheat the oven on 180°C/350°F
- Take the shortcrust pastry out of the fridge. Cut it in two pieces, one about 2/3 of the dough and the other about 1/3 of the dough.Lightly flour your work surface and both sides of the dough. Using a rolling pin, roll into a large thin circle. Place in a deep pie pan.
- Optional: sprinkle the thin semolina on the bottom of the pastry dough. This will help to absorb the juices of the filling and avoid for the bottom of the pie to be soaked.
- Pour the Chicken and Mushroom Filling over the Pastry in the pie pan.
- Roll the second piece of pastry dough and place over the pie filling. Gently fold the first pastry dough over the edges of the pastry lid to seal the pie. Use any leftover pastry to decorate your pie if desired. With a sharp knife, cut a small cross in the middle of the pastry to allow for any steam to come out of the pie while it bakes.
- Whisk the Egg and brush it over the pie pastry.Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the pastry is golden-brown.Leave to cool down for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
- To make without a food processor, either use a pastry cutter or your hands to cut the butter into the flour. Rub the butter and flour between your fingers and palms to get the crumb consistency, then add the cold water and quickly knead until you get a uniform dough.