Sunday Supper is an Amazon Associate and may receive compensation for purchases made through affiliate links.
Make your roast beef dinner extra special this holiday season by serving it with the Best Side Dishes for Roast Beef! Whether you’re serving up a comfort food chuck beef pot roast or a fabulous prime rib, this collection of roast beef sides has what you need, including How to Make the Perfect Mashed Potatoes! You’ll never need to ask yourself what to serve with roast beef again!
Best Roast Beef Sides
I look forward to making my favorite roast beef dinners every year around the holidays. Yes, for the roast beef recipes, but also for the side dishes!
For my family, an amazing holiday meal is all about the sides. That’s why I put together this collection of the best sides for roast beef, including my recipe for the perfect mashed potatoes.
Instead of asking yourself what goes with roast beef, you can take a look at this list and easily put together a full holiday buffet! With more than 30 roast beef dinner sides to choose from, there’s an option for everyone at the table.
Potato Side Dishes
Easy potato recipes make some of the best side dishes for roast beef. From classic roasted potatoes to scalloped potatoes and, of course, the creamiest mashed potatoes, these dishes pair well with roast beef and are great for serving with leftovers or with a family-style pot roast.
For my recipe on how to make the perfect mashed potatoes on the stove or in the Instant Pot, scroll to the recipe card!
Vegetable Side Dishes
Veggie side dishes are an easy choice to make for serving as roast beef sides. From carrots to green beans, there are a variety to choose from! My favorite is my green bean almondine – this dish is delicious. Try it with any of my rib roast recipes and I know you’ll love it.
Side Dish Salads
Holiday salad recipes are a perfect choice for what to serve with roast beef! My family’s personal favorites are my roasted artichoke salad, inspired by Ina Garten, and my orange and fennel salad. Any one of these easy salad recipes makes a great side dish for roast beef.
Casserole Side Dishes
What’s a holiday buffet without easy casserole recipes? Serve up one of my favorite casseroles as an easy side dish for roast beef! They’re a perfect choice – easy to make ahead, simple to store, and they make great leftovers.
Homemade Bread Side Dishes
Serve up one of my homemade bread recipes with your roast beef sides to sop up all the delicious flavor from the roast and gravy! The best choice is Yorkshire Pudding. You can make it using drippings from your roast!
Pasta Side Dishes
I love serving pasta as a side dish for roast beef. Give one of my favorite pasta side dish recipes a try!
Soup Side Dishes
Soup makes a great pairing for any holiday meal, including roast beef! Try one of my favorite soup side dishes for your next special occasion with roast beef.
Don’t forget the Au Jus for dipping!
Roast Beef Recipes
Cooking prime rib? I have a list tailored just for you! Check out my Side Dishes for Prime Rib!
📌 Pin it for later!Did you enjoy this page? Save it on Pinterest for later!
Save the Video Pin
What are your favorite side dishes for roast beef? Let me know in the comments below which ones you love, or send me an email!
How to Make Perfect Mashed Potatoes
- Large pot to boil water
- A mixer (a hand mixer works well)
- A large spoon
- Mixing Bowl
- or Instant pot pressure cooker
- 2½ pounds potatoes cut into small chunks
- ½ stick butter
- 5 Tablespoons salt
- 2 cups whole milk
- Salt & pepper for seasoning
- Chopped green onions for garnish optional
- Additional melted butter for flavor optional
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add salt to the pot of boiling water, then bring it back to a boil.
- Add potatoes to water and boil for 20 to 25 minutes until tender.
- Drain water from the pot. Using a hand mixer on low, whip well until the potatoes are crumbly. Then, add half a stick of chopped butter to your pot with the potatoes.
- Continue mixing well until butter is fully mixed through and potatoes are creamy. Slowly add two cups of milk and salt and pepper while whipping.
- Add in melted butter if desired. Mix with spoon, then top with green onions if desired, and serve!
Instant Pot Potatoes
- Heat a 6 qt. Instant Pot and add peeled whole potatoes.
- Cover halfway with water (do not fully submerge).
- Secure the lid and cook on high pressure for 12 minutes.
- Release the pressure naturally. Carefully remove the inside pot and drain, then return to the cooker.
- Use a hand mixer on low to mash them, but be careful not to over-mix. Add in butter 1 tablespoon at a time while continuing to blend.
- When the butter melts and they're completely smooth, add whole milk. Blend well, then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Creamiest mashed potatoes: Starting with the boiled potatoes and whipping them until fluffy, then slowly adding butter and milk, makes the creamiest potatoes. You can use a hand mixer to make mashed potatoes, but for ultra creamy mashed potatoes, pass them through a potato ricer after cooking!
- Make-ahead mashed potatoes: For a make-ahead mashed potatoes recipe you can prepare in the oven, follow the instructions above, then store until ready to serve (up to 3-4 days). When ready to serve, whisk an egg and brush it over the top. Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes, or until the top is slightly browned.