Sunday Supper is an Amazon Associate and may receive compensation for purchases made through affiliate links.
My Loaded Burger Recipe with caramelized onions, avocado crema, and bacon will be your new favorite gourmet burger recipe! I will show you how to make gourmet burgers at home that are so much better than any restaurant in just 30 minutes.
Best Gourmet Burger Recipe
I am all about coming up with new gourmet burger ideas to try! My family loves burgers, so unique burger recipes are something I am always on the lookout for.
This loaded burger recipe is a game-changer! In fact, it might be my family’s favorite gourmet burgers recipe, especially made on the grill.
The flavor of these burgers is incomparable. Juicy beef topped off with sharp cheese, sweet caramelized onions, crunchy bacon and zesty avocado crema… seriously, they are a dream come true!
One bite and you will wonder where this loaded burger recipe has been all your life. I guarantee your family will ask you for these burgers again and again!
Loaded burgers are burgers you load with toppings and, in the case of my loaded burger recipe, fillings. I mix the patty with Parmesan cheese, then top it off with homemade caramelized onions, avocado crema, bacon, and classic burger toppings like lettuce, tomato, and cheese.
The USDA advises cooking ground beef to an internal temperature of 160°F, which is well-done. Check the temperature of your burgers using a meat thermometer to most accurately tell whether your burgers are done or not.
Set your grill or pan on the stove to high heat to give your burgers the best sear and juiciest middle.
Grill burgers to your preferred level of doneness by using a meat thermometer. Generally, for rare, cook 4 minutes per side, 5 minutes for medium-rare, 6 to 7 minutes for medium, and 8 to 9 minutes for well-done.
Grill burgers with the lid open as they have a quick cook time and do not need the lid closed to cook through.
Grill burgers on direct high heat for best results.
Burgers should be cold before placing them on the grill, so allow them to chill in the refrigerator before cooking. The patty keeps its shape better when cold, and will stay nice and juicy once cooked.
To make this a keto burger recipe, serve it without the bun and over lettuce with extra tomato.
To make my loaded burger recipe gluten-free, leave out the buns or use a gluten-free alternative. Double-check the alcohol used to make the caramelized onions; whiskey is generally gluten-free because it is distilled, but you should always make sure.
Bacon for Burgers
To make the bacon for loaded burgers, you can follow the steps directed in the recipe card below, or cook up a batch of Air Fryer Bacon ahead of time! I love making air fryer bacon to use with this burger recipe. It’s so easy!
My loaded burgers recipe uses a mix of:
- Salt and pepper
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
This simple burger seasoning recipe is perfect for making the best burgers. Mixed with Parmesan in the patty, this is one flavorful burger recipe!
Sauce for Burgers
These gourmet burgers use a homemade avocado crema as the sauce, but you can use any burger sauce you prefer, such as:
Side Dishes for Burgers
Best Burger Recipes
Loaded Burger Recipe with Caramelized Onions
- Grill pan (if cooking on stove)
- Mixing Bowl
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 sweet onions sliced
- 1 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons vermouth or whiskey or whatever alcohol you have on hand. If you don't have alcohol, balsamic vinegar also works.
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound ground beef 80/20
- 1 teaspoon burger seasoning
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- 4 burger buns of choice
- Bacon to taste
- Cheddar Cheese to taste
- Lettuce of choice to taste
- tomato optional
- Avocado Crema to taste
- Add ground beef, salt and pepper, garlic powder, and grated Parmesan to a bowl. Mix until thoroughly combined.salt and pepper to taste, 1 pound ground beef 80/20, 1 teaspoon burger seasoning, ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- Divide beef into 4 equally-sized balls and form into slightly flattened, round patties. Place on a plate and chill in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Add bacon to a foil-lined baking sheet. If you have a baking sheet rack, use it to elevate the bacon for the crispiest results.Bacon to taste
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until crispy to your liking. Drain on paper towels while you prepare your burgers.
- Prepare a batch of caramelized onions.4 tablespoons butter, 3 sweet onions, 1 tablespoons sugar, 3 tablespoons vermouth or whiskey, salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat grill or grill pan to high. If using a grill pan, lightly grease with oil. Place burger patties on grill once hot and turn after the first side no longer sticks to the grill. Cook burger patties to preferred level of doneness, using a meat thermometer to check the temperature (USDA advises 160°F).
- Top with toppings of choice, serve, and enjoy! Leave out the buns for a keto-friendly option.Bacon to taste, Cheddar Cheese to taste, Lettuce of choice to taste, tomato optional, Avocado Crema to taste, 4 burger buns of choice
- Nutrition calculation does not include toppings except for bacon and caramelized onions.