Ground Beef Stroganoff is an easy recipe ready in about 30 minutes, making it perfect for any night of the week, but also a good choice for a nice Sunday supper with the family. Our beef stroganoff recipe is a budget-friendly twist on the classic, substituting ground beef in place of the more traditional tender beef strips you’d find in the classic Russian recipe.
Traditional Beef Stroganoff
Beef Stroganoff is a classic comfort food recipe that originated in Russia in the 19th century and consisted of sauteed beef strips in a bouillon and mustard sauce finished with sour cream. It was traditionally served with potatoes.
The more familiar recipe of today is served with egg noodles and has onions and mushrooms, but a quick Google search turns up many variations of this popular dish. Beef Stroganoff is so popular it was the number 1 searched recipe of 2017 according to Google! Does that surprise you? It did me, but then again when I think about how often my husband asks me to make Beef Stroganoff, it shouldn’t surprise me.
Budget Friendly Ground Beef Stroganoff
We do love the comforting goodness of traditional beef stroganoff with tender strips of beef, but I’m always looking for good ways to save money, so I decided to try my traditional recipe using ground beef. I was so pleased with the results. This Ground Beef Stroganoff is just as delicious as my traditional recipe, and the cost savings is like having your cake and eating it too!
The ground beef still gives this recipe a nice beefy flavor and the texture of the ground beef made this beef stroganoff easy to enjoy. Sauteing fresh mushrooms in butter to bring out their flavor added a deep, rich savory level to the sauce you won’t get with jarred or canned mushrooms, so be sure to use fresh when possible. Don’t even think about using canned soup with this recipe. The end result just won’t measure up! It takes just a little extra effort to make this ground beef stroganoff using fresh ingredients, but it is totally worth it!
This recipe was made in just one skillet with the exception of the egg noodles. I prefer to cook the noodles separately for best results. I find trying to cook noodles with the other components of a dish doesn’t work out well, so I tend to avoid it.
Ground Beef Stroganoff always brings the family to our Sunday Supper table! Not only is it delicious, but it’s on the table in about 30 minutes!! You’re going to want to make this easy recipe again and again, so be sure to add it to your list of favorite Sunday Supper Recipes!
Ground Beef Stroganoff Recipe Tips
- Use Certified Angus Beef® brand ground chuck for best results.
- We recommend a 10″ cast iron skillet, however, a stainless steel skillet will work as well. Avoid using a non-stick skillet as you won’t get a good sear on the beef.
- Searing the beef adds a nice crust for more flavor. Be sure to refer to the photo tutorial below the recipe for a visual reference.
- Use fresh mushrooms for maximum flavor. No canned soup or jarred or canned mushrooms in this recipe!
- Beef stock will produce a deeper flavor, so we recommend using stock over broth when possible.
- Refer to the photo tutorial below the recipe for a visual reference of how to make this Ground Beef Stroganoff Skillet Recipe
Ground Beef Stroganoff Skillet Recipe
- 1.5 pounds ground chuck
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper freshly cracked
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic freshly minced
- 1 medium yellow onion sliced (about 1 cup sliced onion)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 8-12 ounces wide egg noodles
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- chives Freshly chopped for garnish
- Season beef with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- Heat skillet over mid-high heat and spray lightly with cooking spray (see note 1)
- Add beef to sear one side. Cook until nicely seared about 3-5 minutes
- Turn beef over and break up slightly. I like to leave big chunks
- Add 1 teaspoon freshly minced garlic, 1/2 cup sliced onions, and 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves. Saute until beef is cooked through and onions are softened. About 3-5 minutes
- Remove beef mixture from skillet to drain and set aside
- Add 3 tablespoons unsalted butter to skillet
- Add 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms to butter in skillet and season with a pinch of salt and pepper
- Saute mushrooms until they soften and release their juices
- Add 3 tablespoons all purpose flour to the mushroom/butter mixture in the skillet. Cook, stirring for a minute or 2 to cook the flour
- Add 1/2 cup white wine and scrape any brown bits from the pan
- Add 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- Bring skillet mixture to a boil and boil for about a minute.
- Reduce heat to low and add beef back into skillet
- Cover and simmer on low heat while preparing the noodles
- Cook egg noodles according to package directions
- When the egg noodles are nearly done, mix 1/3 cup sour cream into the beef mixture. Stir to combine
- Give the beef mixture a taste and adjust the seasonings as needed adding salt and pepper to your liking
- Add noodles to the skillet with the beef mixture and stir to combine
- Garnish with freshly chopped chives or parsley and enjoy!
- If using a well-seasoned cast iron skillet there is no need to spray with cooking spray.
- We recommend Certified Angus Beef® brand for the best results.
Ground Beef Stroganoff Skillet Recipe Photo Tutorial
Season beef with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt & 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Heat skillet over mid-high heat
Add beef to sear one side. Cook until nicely seared about 3-5 minutes
Turn beef over & break up slightly
Add 1 teaspoon freshly minced garlic, 1/2 cup sliced onions, & 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves.
Saute until beef is cooked through & onions are softened. About 3-5 minutes. Remove beef mixture from skillet to drain. Set aside
Add 3 tablespoons unsalted butter to skillet
Add 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms to skillet & season with a pinch of salt & pepper
Saute mushrooms until they soften & release their juices
Add 3 tablespoons all purpose flour to mushroom/butter mixture. Cook, stirring for a minute or 2
Add 1/2 cup white wine & scrape any brown bits from the pan
Add 1 1/2 cups beef stock
Bring skillet mixture to a boil for about a minute.
Reduce heat to low & add beef back into skillet
Cover & simmer on low heat while preparing noodles
Cook egg noodles according to package directions
When the egg noodles are nearly done, mix 1/3 cup sour cream into beef mixture. Stir to combine
Give beef mixture a taste& adjust seasonings as needed
Add noodles to the skillet with the beef mixture. Stir to combine
Garnish with freshly chopped chives or parsley & enjoy!
Sign up for our weekly newsletter!
Get free recipes delivered to your inbox every week!
Thank you for joining the Sunday Supper family!
Something went wrong.