This post may contain paid links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Unlock the secret to unforgettable flavors with my Garlic Butter Recipe! With just three simple ingredients, you can whip up this delectable, garlicky concoction in no time. My easy garlic butter sauce is ready in 10 minutes, making it a quick and easy addition to any meal.
Does it really get any better than an easy garlic butter sauce? You will want to add it to EVERYTHING, trust me!
This simple recipe adds a special touch to any meal, no matter what protein you cook. The best part about making homemade butter with garlic is that it really is as simple as it sounds.
You can make this easy recipe as either a solid compound butter to top steaks, bread, and more or use it as a sauce for pasta or dip. It’s the perfect recipe if you’re on a keto meal plan- it’s keto-friendly and makes every meal taste incredible!
I made this garlic butter for my filet mignon. It was truly delicious. No steak sauce needed.@jequettabess
Garlic Butter Sauce Ingredients
- salted butter
- fresh garlic, finely chopped
- parsley, finely chopped
- optional, black pepper
How to Make Garlic Butter
- Let your butter reach room temperature before you get started. When it’s nice and soft, add it to a bowl.
- Chop or press garlic and finely chop parsley. Add them to the bowl with the butter.
- Mix well until combined. That’s it! Perfect homemade garlic butter!
Add it to one of your favorite steak recipes to wow your guests!
Garlic Butter Sauce Recipe
- If you’re making my garlic butter recipe a delicious sauce, you must melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat for 3 minutes. Or microwave for 30 – 45 seconds.
- Chop or press the garlic and finely chop the parsley. Add them to the melted garlic.
- Mix well until combined.
I love using this delicious garlic butter sauce on my steamed crabs and all seafood recipes.
How to Store Homemade Garlic Butter
- Cool Down: Let your homemade garlic butter cool to room temperature.
- Airtight Container: Place it in an airtight container or sealable plastic bag.
- Refrigerate: Store it in the refrigerator.
- It can last in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
That’s it! This method should keep your garlic butter fresh for a few weeks to a few months. Just remember to use clean utensils when scooping it out to prevent contamination.
Can I freeze garlic butter sauce?
Yes, you can; I do this often!
- Label and Date: It’s essential to label the containers or bags with the date of preparation so you can keep track of how long they’ve been in the freezer.
- Freeze: Place the containers or bags in the freezer. The garlic butter sauce can typically be stored in the freezer for three months without a significant loss in quality.
- Thawing: When you’re ready to use it, you can thaw the garlic butter sauce in the refrigerator overnight or use a defrost setting in the microwave if you need it more quickly.
Garlic Spread Seasoning
If you want to mix it up, there are seasonings you can add. Here are my top suggestions.
- Parsley: Fresh chopped parsley is a classic choice and adds a bright, fresh flavor to the garlic butter.
- Chives: Chopped chives provide a mild onion-like flavor and a pop of color.
- Basil: Fresh basil leaves or dried basil can give your garlic butter a hint of Italian flair.
- Thyme: Fresh or dried thyme adds earthy and aromatic notes to your garlic butter.
- Rosemary: Fresh rosemary leaves or dried rosemary contribute a piney and savory essence.
- Oregano: Dried oregano can infuse a Mediterranean or pizza-like flavor into your garlic butter.
- Cilantro: If you enjoy a more southwestern or Asian twist, try adding chopped cilantro leaves.
- Dill: Dill weed imparts a mild, slightly tangy flavor that pairs well with seafood and potatoes.
- Tarragon: This herb has a unique anise-like flavor that can add a touch of sophistication to your garlic butter.
- Red Pepper Flakes: For some heat, you can include red pepper flakes or a pinch of cayenne pepper.
- Lemon Zest: Grated lemon zest provides a citrusy brightness that complements many dishes.
- Parmesan Cheese: Grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese can add a rich, cheesy dimension to your garlic butter.
- Smoked Paprika: A small amount of smoked paprika can give your garlic butter a smoky, BBQ-like flavor.
- Sundried Tomatoes: Chopped sundried tomatoes can introduce a sweet and tangy twist to your garlic butter.
- Garlic Variations: Experiment with different garlic types, like roasted garlic or black garlic, for unique flavor profiles.
Remember that the quantity of herbs and seasonings you add should be adjusted according to your taste preferences. You can start with small amounts and gradually add more until you achieve the desired flavor. Homemade garlic butter is highly customizable, so feel free to get creative and tailor it to your liking and the dishes you plan to use it with.
Garlic Butter FAQs
I use two tablespoons of fresh parsley in this recipe. But in a pinch, I have used dried parsley, and it works perfectly. I add 2 tablespoons of dried parsley, which is just as delicious.
It will last up to 2 weeks in the fridge and about 2 to 3 months in the freezer.
You can store garlic herb butter sauce in the refrigerator for two weeks or even freeze it to bring out as needed. Store it in the fridge rolled in plastic wrap as a log or in an air-tight container or baggie.
I like to use salted butter and skip adding salt to this recipe.
How to Use Homemade Garlic Butter
Garlic Butter for Bread
This is the best garlic butter for bread! The secret to a great garlic bread spread is to keep it simple – which is precisely what this recipe is!
- Follow the recipe, but do not melt the spread. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Spread onto your favorite bread (baguette or french bread works great) at room temperature. For cheesy garlic bread, sprinkle ¼ cup of mozzarella or Parmesan cheese.
- Place bread on a baking sheet and bake until bread is toasted and lightly brown, approximately 5 minutes.
Garlic Butter Sauce for Pasta
I love using this sauce for pasta. Add it to your favorite pasta, like angel hair, ziti, or linguine, and it will feel like a gourmet meal!
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add 1tablespoon of salt.
- Add your favorite pasta and cook, often stirring, until the pasta is almost done.
- While the pasta is cooking, place a large pan over medium heat. Add ½ cup of garlic butter and let it melt. Be careful not to overheat and burn it.
- When done cooking, drain the pasta and reserve ¼ cup of water. Add the pasta to the pan and toss the garlic butter recipe with the pasta and ¼ cup reserved pasta water.
- Top with Parmesan, parsley, and additional salt and pepper if desired. Serve immediately, and enjoy! I love this recipe for linguine pasta!
Garlic Butter Steak Sauce
This recipe makes the perfect butter garlic steak sauce! Garlic compound butter is an ideal pairing for beef, and steak is the best way to enjoy it. Let it melt over a juicy steak… there is nothing as delicious!
Homemade Garlic Butter for Shrimp
Nothing is more delicious than shrimp dipped in a garlic butter dipping sauce!
Garlic Butter Dipping Sauce for Crabs
Try melting our butter garlic sauce with herbs over seafood for an incredible dinner! I love using this dipping sauce when I make crabs. It is amazing!
Garlic Butter for Vegetables
- Garlic butter mushrooms There are no words to describe how amazing they are, and they only take 10 minutes to make!
- Garlic Roasted Small Potatoes are a perfect fit for this sauce, too. Give them a try! They are super easy to make and so crispy on the outside.
- Instant Pot Green Beans with garlic butter sauce
- Corn riblets with garlic butter
Garlic Butter for Pizza
This recipe makes the perfect garlic sauce dip for pairing with pizza when melted! One of my favorite game-day appetizers is pizza twists dipped in this delicious garlic sauce. The pizza crust is amazing!
Garlic Butter Chicken and Turkey
Compound butter for turkey is an absolute must-try. All you have to do is make the compound butter and rub the entire turkey with it. This is the absolute Thanksgiving turkey recipe! You won’t believe how crispy the skin gets and how much flavor it adds!
You are guaranteed to get the juiciest chicken and turkey recipes!
Garlic Butter Burger
Use this spread on your favorite burgers! It turns your ordinary burger into an over-the-top burger experience. My favorite recipe is this easy Air Fryer Burger. You can use this sauce in any burger recipe.
Garlic Butter Potatoes
This recipe is incredible for mashed potatoes. Up your potato game by making garlic butter mashed potatoes with one of our easy mashed potato recipes!
Butter Garlic Salmon
My new favorite way to cook salmon is by adding a dollop of this homemade garlic butter. It is excellent on grilled salmon, baked salmon, and even sous vide salmon.
📌 Pin it for later!Did you enjoy this page? Save it on Pinterest for later!
Garlic Butter Recipe
See our Cooking Conversions Chart for help converting measurements!
- In a medium bowl, mix all ingredients until well-combined.
- If you are using the recipe as a Butter spread, it will be ready to use. If you are using it as a Garlic Butter Sauce, add to a saucepan and heat on low for 3 minutes or until melted. Serve with everything from garlic butter steak bites to grilled crab legs, and enjoy!