Simmer some seasoned pork chops in a flavorful onion gravy for the most tender smothered pork chops you want to put in your mouth. This recipe was first published in full on the blog Grumpy’s Honeybunch. We are pleased to share it with you here for Weekday Supper.
If you are looking for comfort food in the middle of the week, but don’t have a lot of time, these smothered pork chops will be your new favorite recipe. A rich onion gravy is pure comfort on a chilly day!
- 4 large pork loin steaks
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1-1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup half and half
- ¼ cup water
- Mix together salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and 2 tablespoons flour.
- Coat pork chop with flour mixture on both sides.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Place pork steaks in hot skillet and brown well on both sides, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Melt butter in same skillet that pork was browned in. Reduce heat to medium and add onion slices with salt to taste.
- Cook until onions are caramelized, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Stir in flour and cook 2 minutes.
- Pour chicken broth into skillet, stirring constantly, dissolving browned bits of food in skillet.
- Pour juices that accumulated on plate with pork chops into the sauce.
- Mix in half and half until smooth.
- Add water. Bring sauce to a simmer, reduce heat to low and cook about 15 minutes.
- Place pork into sauce and spoon sauce over meat to coat.
- Turn heat to low, cover and simmer until chops are cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste. Serve with gravy on top.
Weekday Supper recipes are great for when life gets busy! It’s easy to find them. Search the #WeekdaySupper hashtag across social media or click here for more on our Sunday Supper website. Also check out the Weekday Supper Pinterest board for plenty more ideas and inspiration.